• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Angels For Four Games September 5-8

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's really interesting is that i'm hearing that both deGrom and Scherzer will probably be activated for the Seattle series too. if that happens, it could be Rocker, deGrom, Scherzer & Leiter for the 4--game series

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

Well, let’s put it this way: You know about the phenomenon of Paul Skenes, the best young pitcher to bust into the big leagues this year (and maybe others), right? Skenes, the top pick in last year’s draft, made seven starts at Triple-A this year, then was called up by Pittsburgh, started the All-Star Game in Arlington and will almost certainly win NL rookie of the Year.

Rocker’s minor league numbers were better. In seven starts at Double-A and Triple-A, Rocker compiled a 0.91 ERA in 29⅔ innings while allowing hitters a .128/.160/.216/.376 slash line. He has struck out 47 hitters and walked just three. He made his most recent start on Friday for Round Rock against Las Vegas, going five innings and allowing two runs on three hits. His fastball has averaged 98.7 mph and his hard curveball has been unhittable, leading to 71% strikes. To say he’s toyed with minor league hitters, wouldn’t be accurate, because that would imply he’s wasted a pitch or two.

In Skenes’ seven starts at Triple-A: A 0.99 ERA in 27⅔ innings while allowing opponents a .175/.238/.247/.486 slash line. Skenes had 45 strikeouts to eight walks before the Pirates called him up in May. Skenes throw 66% of his pitches for strikes. Skenes’ numbers were head-turning. In every category, Rocker’s have been a touch better.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about this. Has pitched just 29.2 innings this year at AA/AAA even though it was really good.
I'm not sure either. The mlb jump can cause anxiety in such young beginners as in Lieter. May not happen but think he needs more time in AAA

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

Well, let’s put it this way: You know about the phenomenon of Paul Skenes, the best young pitcher to bust into the big leagues this year (and maybe others), right? Skenes, the top pick in last year’s draft, made seven starts at Triple-A this year, then was called up by Pittsburgh, started the All-Star Game in Arlington and will almost certainly win NL rookie of the Year.

Rocker’s minor league numbers were better. In seven starts at Double-A and Triple-A, Rocker compiled a 0.91 ERA in 29⅔ innings while allowing hitters a .128/.160/.216/.376 slash line. He has struck out 47 hitters and walked just three. He made his most recent start on Friday for Round Rock against Las Vegas, going five innings and allowing two runs on three hits. His fastball has averaged 98.7 mph and his hard curveball has been unhittable, leading to 71% strikes. To say he’s toyed with minor league hitters, wouldn’t be accurate, because that would imply he’s wasted a pitch or two.

In Skenes’ seven starts at Triple-A: A 0.99 ERA in 27⅔ innings while allowing opponents a .175/.238/.247/.486 slash line. Skenes had 45 strikeouts to eight walks before the Pirates called him up in May. Skenes throw 66% of his pitches for strikes. Skenes’ numbers were head-turning. In every category, Rocker’s have been a touch better.
He's forced his way up through the minors and has earned a chance to show what he can do against big league hitters.
He has the talent to be special. It's not totally different from Langford last year, how he busted through the minors and earned a spot in the bigs.
He has legitimate Ace potential. And if he struggles, he can still always start next year in AAA. I doubt that happens, but still.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will be up watching on Thursday but i sure hope we're not going to relive the David Clyde debacle by rushing Kumar.

what about Carson Coleman in the pen next year?
Coleman has been hurt ever since we got him, so I don't want to depend on him. Let's see what he has un ST.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited to see his debut....but I think it also does not bode well for us trying to bring back Eovaldi if he doesn't exercise his option. I guess we'll see.
That's fine with me. It gives us money to spend elsewhere, like we did when we signed Beltre instead of Cliff Lee.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will be up watching on Thursday but i sure hope we're not going to relive the David Clyde debacle by rushing Kumar.

what about Carson Coleman in the pen next year?
Clyde was a lot different. He was fresh out of high school without a single inning in the minors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's really interesting is that i'm hearing that both deGrom and Scherzer will probably be activated for the Seattle series too. if that happens, it could be Rocker, deGrom, Scherzer & Leiter for the 4--game series
Someone suggested piggybacking them since neither can pitch very long.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coleman has been hurt ever since we got him, so I don't want to depend on him. Let's see what he has un ST.
not talking depending on but we need to give him a chance before we write him off

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone suggested piggybacking them since neither can pitch very long.
heard that but wouldn't we also have to think about piggybacking Rocker and Leiter as neither of them seems to be stretched out enough

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure how I feel about this. Has pitched just 29.2 innings this year at AA/AAA even though it was really good.
I’m fine with it. He’s earned it. He’ll be facing the worst team batting average in MLB at .219. Even the White Sox are at .221.
He’ll have less pressure than Bradford did facing the Braves in a pennant race last year.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde was a lot different. He was fresh out of high school without a single inning in the minors.
we still rushed him and it resulted in messing up his arm. i think Rocker is part of the future and i just don't want to rush him. i'm thinking he stretches out at AAA and then moves into his permanent position in the Rangers rotation

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we still rushed him and it resulted in messing up his arm. i think Rocker is part of the future and i just don't want to rush him. i'm thinking he stretches out at AAA and then moves into his permanent position in the Rangers rotation
I thought so too, but I guess they disagreed with us. I don't mind it though. I was more worried about Leiter coming up a couple of weeks ago.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it will definitely be interesting Thursday. Hoping it turns out great.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rocker had his most trying game, comparatively speaking, against the Las Vegas Aviators. I wonder if they are better hitters than the Mariners. Lol