• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one vet in the pen for clubhouse purposes but Soria evidently found some resurgence in Oakland..really thought his best days were behind him when here

Well might lose a bit of time for player control and player options but hey maybe we move the pitcher at break. We do have room for one more player. But from a roster perspective I just don't see all the piggyback and back and forth from AAA due to protecting arms. However definitely the young guys need the work and assessment. How this is done will be interesting.

I am definitely not for blocking any legitimate player who needs abs or pitching reps at the MLB level.
Watch it all be a nonissue once little injuries to the pitching staff sets in place

Maybe a minor league contract in case of injury. But I hope they don’t push back the guy they got for Lynn to the minors

I am very reluctant to add high priced players on the wrong side of 30 unless they are finishing pieces. Extending or picking up a young position player as a core guy is different but who knows we may have that already in Jung and best case scenario he plays 3B.
Really need an assessment year so we can analyze what pickups if needed we should pursue. Story is much more preferable than Bryant

After a couple of years They have Foscue and some interesting SP picks and still IKF still at SS which I doubt but is as good as guess as any. Huff over Gallo for HR lead which assumes Gallo is extended. No FA signings

Burke or Palumbo (injuries)are not in the list and our number one is Dunning?

Maybe one vet in the pen for clubhouse purposes but Soria evidently found some resurgence in Oakland..really thought his best days were behind him when here
But of course you think my assessment is less than adequate.
But it is reasonable to assess there has been less capability for players to progress and less opportunities to make intelligent assessment. You are entitled to your opinion. Thank you
I went back through several pages and did not find one time when you gave an assessment that I found inadequate or even disagreed with to very much extent, if at all. I disagreed about the BA list being a shot in the dark so you act as if I always find your assessments inadequate. Lol. So, I guess that statement, about me finding them inadequate, is only the second one over the course of several pages that I disagree with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Jamey Newberg has to say about significant factors for him, when he put together his list of top Rangers prospects.

"There are also players who simply forced their way onto the list without the benefit of a 2020 season, largely on the strength of big fall instructional league showings a few months ago (one in particularly loud fashion)."

"These rankings would be worth a lot less if they were based wholly on my opinions and the scope of statistics at my disposal. I’ve seen most of these players at spring training, fall instructional league and, this summer, at the alternate training site in Arlington. But more importantly, I’ve talked to dozens of club officials, coordinators, coaches, scouts and players since the 2020 season ended to help solidify the ranges where I thought players might slot — and in a number of instances, to adjust my thinking."

And he only does this part-time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newberg is in the process of releasing his top 72 Rangers prospects. Today he released 53 through 72. Interesting names on today's list include Cole Ragans at 63 and JP Martinez at 64. That is a sad commentary for both of them. They were both once highly regarded.

A couple of names to watch on that list is 1B Blaine Crim at 53 and SP Jason Bahr at 57.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another quote from Newberg about prospect ranking this winter after no minor league games in 2020.

"So it would be silly to go to the trouble of fashioning a re-ranking of the prospects in the Rangers system after doing so last winter, right? Not so fast, conclusion-jumper."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the Rangers go after a top hitter, maybe as early as 10 months from now, an AAV of $25 million, like Springer got, is probably the lower end of the range that we will have to pay.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was going to be a new rule for over a year prior to Covid, do I imagine it stays. I hope it does. I have been wanting something similar for several years now. I hate changing pitchers every batter.
It will cause a cry for injury. Some thing has to control fake injury if it is strongly felt a pitching change is needed.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the Rangers go after a top hitter, maybe as early as 10 months from now, an AAV of $25 million, like Springer got, is probably the lower end of the range that we will have to pay.
They signed Brantley as well for 3 years. Not sure what the salary is but the guy can definitely hit. Glad he is gone as well. Let the tear down of the Astros continue.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newberg is in the process of releasing his top 72 Rangers prospects. Today he released 53 through 72. Interesting names on today's list include Cole Ragans at 63 and JP Martinez at 64. That is a sad commentary for both of them. They were both once highly regarded.

A couple of names to watch on that list is 1B Blaine Crim at 53 and SP Jason Bahr at 57.
Seems typical of our pitching prospects.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guzman is hitting significantly better in the winter league this year than he has at any other stop, at any other level, in his career.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will cause a cry for injury. Some thing has to control fake injury if it is strongly felt a pitching change is needed.
If they get caught cheating then they can suffer the consequences.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree. Length of contract good too

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another quote from Newberg about prospect ranking this winter after no minor league games in 2020.

"So it would be silly to go to the trouble of fashioning a re-ranking of the prospects in the Rangers system after doing so last winter, right? Not so fast, conclusion-jumper."
Well perhaps Newberg is shooting in the dark too lol

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Blaine Crim
I think he will end up being really solid

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance the Rangers get in on JT Realmuto ?