• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say work on something else. I know it will or better not cost us much so no biggie but we seem to keep kicking the tires on players like this which is up in years and DL stints and have not pitched well in years. Which is different than Minor and Lynn.
instead of wasting time on filler waste this team needs to be spending all their energy concentrating on filling the holes and after they exhausted all the major avenues. then think about the filler waste

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith would’ve accepted if none gave him Kimbrel money. His agent played it perfectly.

granted this was a much weaker rp market than last year
Yeah his agent got him paid. Really surprised at the length and amount of contract

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD acts like a man with one foot nailed to the ground. Find a direction and stay with it. One minute he's all in and then back to Volquez. Wait till Scotty and Crawler hears this.
Yes surprised but still MILB contract and not rostered. We are hoping for a bit more. Still early in Offseason

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah his agent got him paid. Really surprised at the length and amount of contract

meh had a great run and less relief talent out there.

scarcity is a powerful tool.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes surprised but still MILB contract and not rostered. We are hoping for a bit more. Still early in Offseason
MILB yes but why? Senseless .

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MILB yes but why? Senseless .
Looks like AAA depth insurance unless he has a release if not on roster by certain date

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i've already said why waste time on filler crap that could be address just before training camp. now is strictly for signing the serious FA needs the team needs. this story shows where JD's mind is and it ain't on the serious needs. this smacks more like the 2018-19 off-season than anything. what next? Smyly, Moore etc

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the problem with signing Volquez, or just about anyone else, to a minor league deal. A MLB organization is made up of a whole lot of players. They need minor league fillers just like they need prospects and just like they do big league talent. They can pursue great players and guys for minor league contracts at the same time without giving less attention to the biggest pursuits. They have lots of guys in the front office working on these things. It is always smart to go into ST with lots of backups with minor league contract even if they may never see the light of a big league roster. If they sign Volquez and 10 other guys like him to a minor league contract it does not take away from rebuilding this team. JD and the front office are doing nothing wrong here.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Brock, Jurado, Sampson, mendez etc what depth

Just in case of injury. Probably a good source of positive influence for the young guys with more promise.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also would not be surprised if we sign a MILB 3B for depth. Seems like Wisdom took free agency

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the problem with signing Volquez, or just about anyone else, to a minor league deal. A MLB organization is made up of a whole lot of players. They need minor league fillers just like they need prospects and just like they do big league talent. They can pursue great players and guys for minor league contracts at the same time without giving less attention to the biggest pursuits. They have lots of guys in the front office working on these things. It is always smart to go into ST with lots of backups with minor league contract even if they may never see the light of a big league roster. If they sign Volquez and 10 other guys like him to a minor league contract it does not take away from rebuilding this team. JD and the front office are doing nothing wrong here.

Also MLB roster spots are precious. We need mov to maneuver through rule 5. I think some signings based upon ST performance can turn into a MLB contract. But yes do hope we add a starter and 3B

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case of injury. Probably a good source of positive influence for the young guys with more promise.
Volquez nearing deal to return to Rangers in '20

Volquez was planning to retire after this past season but decided otherwise after speaking with general manager Jon Daniels.

“We’re working on it,” Volquez said. “I was going to retire but I got too many phone calls wanting me to come back. My choice is to come back to Texas. I’m excited for next season.”

Volquez missed most of last season with a sprained right elbow. But he returned in September as a reliever and was throwing 95 mph out of the bullpen. The Rangers also like the idea of having the 14-year veteran providing leadership for their younger pitchers.

“They want me to stay close to the young guys,” Volquez said. “The way I finished last season changed my mind. I was throwing hard with no pain. When I first talked to [Daniels] I said no, but he said I’ve got to come back and help the young guys.”

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but still something that comes out and gets done toward the end of free agency not at the beginning

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volquez nearing deal to return to Rangers in '20

Volquez was planning to retire after this past season but decided otherwise after speaking with general manager Jon Daniels.

“We’re working on it,” Volquez said. “I was going to retire but I got too many phone calls wanting me to come back. My choice is to come back to Texas. I’m excited for next season.”

Volquez missed most of last season with a sprained right elbow. But he returned in September as a reliever and was throwing 95 mph out of the bullpen. The Rangers also like the idea of having the 14-year veteran providing leadership for their younger pitchers.

“They want me to stay close to the young guys,” Volquez said. “The way I finished last season changed my mind. I was throwing hard with no pain. When I first talked to [Daniels] I said no, but he said I’ve got to come back and help the young guys.”
Looks like they may roster him for a pen spot if he can stay healthy.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a Yu retweet which it appears to be stealing pitches vs pitch tipping

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but still something that comes out and gets done toward the end of free agency not at the beginning
Why does it need to happen in any certain order?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it need to happen in any certain order?
Just seems like minor shit you don't need to be concerned about until later when you are trying to find a 3rd baseman, a couple of good or better starters and maybe a quality catcher and possibly looking at potential trade partners. You have a limited number of upper level staffers that can be doing these