• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it not remotely possible Odor can duplicate his last month here?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Rockies will probably scoff at our low ball offer and just keep arenado.

you know that’s most likely what happens.

Acting I have no idea what will happen. Just think things move quicker once Donaldson signs. If they can get a reasonable deal with the opt out waived they should make the deal. If not make do until Jung is ready

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are absolutely correct. At some point that will lead to us trading Solak.

It is absolutely ridiculous that they won’t do something to fix their own error but it’s been proven multiple times that they will not. What is more ridiculous is that people on here think that they will and continue to talk about it in numerous posts everyday. Part of the reason I stay away from most of the offseason chatter here is because they gave him the damn ponies and people here continue to beat a dead horse

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s very unlikely.

the odor who struggled mightily the first few months of the season, when everyone was actively trying to compete, is the odor we will see. With the exception of facing triple A staffs like the royals and mariners, Odor can’t hit major league pitching.

the last month of the season isn’t ideal for evaluating a player. We usually know who the playoff teams are by then. The teams who aren’t competing experiment by running young guys out there. The competitive spirit to win isn’t there unless a team needs games to get into the playoffs. Many players have either mailed it in on the season or come up with an injury to start the offseason quicker.

I’ve said for the last few years that odor sucks and nothing has really changed. He guesses way too much, has no pitch recognition, and can’t get on base to save his life. When he does get on base, he’s prone to making a base running error and getting thrown out. The guy just flat out sucks.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have contradicted yourself regarding Solak.
At 3rd And very little experience Solak would be a liability defensively. He needs to be at 2nd but as long as Odor is on the team that ain't happening

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he has done it before and will do it again, for a month or two. Then he will get cold as ice again for 2-3 months.

It is not possible that JD will admit the mistake and move on. It is also not possible that JD will get blame from some folks, Adam Morris for example, for this huge blunder.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he has done it before and will do it again, for a month or two. Then he will get cold as ice again for 2-3 months.

It is not possible that JD will admit the mistake and move on. It is also not possible that JD will get blame from some folks, Adam Morris for example, for this huge blunder.

Or perhaps he actually did learn something or if he does fail and if it was pure luck for his late season "hot streak", he is benched or accepts a MILB assignment.

It would be best case for Rangers and fan base if he did turn it around. There is talent and a high ceiling.

In the meanwhile we also have problems at 1B, 3B and catcher and really according to recent results at SS.

Success/ change/improvement is needed for all. I would hope all are trying to work and get better. As such I wish them the best.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years in a row are we going to say this?

"Hope Rougie can recreate [fill in month] this season and turn it around"

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see Solak work on his arm strength the entire off-season than end up with Donaldson, even if Donaldson made us a contender and he doesn't

From 2016:

Nick Solak, 2B, New York Yankees (Short-Season Staten Island)
The Yankees selected Solak in the 2nd round of this year’s amateur draft, and he is another intriguing position player in a suddenly deep farm system. The 21-year-old out of Louisville has already made an impact with his bat, earning the opportunity to participate in the NY-Penn League All-Star Game. He has slashed .315/.409/.419 in his first 237 plate appearances with Staten Island and his approach stands out as one of the more advanced I have seen in the NYPL this season. Quick hands, a line-drive stroke, and an efficient swing path result in a hit tool with plus potential. At 5-foot-11 and 175 pounds, he does seem to have some remaining capacity for adding muscle without affecting his speed. Nonetheless, his simple hitting mechanics lend themselves more to gap power. Solid base-running instincts in addition to his above-average speed should enable him to steal 10+ bases per year as a professional. The primary question mark with Solak is his future defensive position. After mostly playing left field as a sophomore, he switched to second base this year. I think he can stay at second base long-term due to his reliable hands and quickness, but he also runs well enough to hold his own in center field if necessary. On the other hand, he lacks the arm strength to play right field or the left side of the infield. While Solak does not have the upside of either Jorge Mateo or the recently acquired Gleyber Torres, he could develop into an average major league regular. —Erich Rothmann

From 2018:

2B Nick Solak
Solak was drafted out of Louisville by the Yankees in the second round of the 2016 MLB draft. He put up the type of offensive numbers one would expect from an advanced college bat in short-season ball that summer, including a walk rate hovering near 11 percent. Solak skipped straight to High-A to start 2017, and made quick work of that level as well. He hit .301/.397/.460 with 10 home runs in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League, and earned a midseason promotion to Double-A Trenton. While he dropped off somewhat there, he still managed a .772 OPS with 12 extra base hits in 132 plate appearances.

Listed at 5’11, Solak looks like a second baseman of yesteryear. His own dang team labeled him as “scrappy” and a “grinder,” but he makes enough loud contact to potentially start one day. He raked in college, and hit .376/.470/.564 in his final season at Louisville. He won’t hit for that much power in the pro ranks due to a swing geared more towards gap power, though. He has quick hands and uses all fields well. He also has excellent plate discipline, as his high walk rates at every level of the game so far can attest. He’s a plus runner, though probably not good enough to buy into his high stolen base success rate in the minors.

Solak’s biggest weakness might actually be on defense, where his below-average arm limits him to second base only. He has decent range and spent some time in the outfield in college, leaving some to wonder if he might actually end up in center field had he stayed in the Yankees system (I think the Rays are good on that front). Without the arm to play shortstop or third base, his upside as a utility player is limited.

Baseball Prospectus put Solak just outside their top 10 in a loaded Yankees farm system this spring, and local outlets had him in the same region. One imagines he will fall in a similar spot on the Rays’ list (MLB Pipeline already has him 15th). Odds are he will begin the 2018 season in Double-A, where he only played 30 games in the Yankees system last year, with a 2019 major league debut on the horizon if things go well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about going after someone like Hechevarria and moving Elvis to 3B? Frame it as the chance to be our Beltre for the next 5 years to Elvis.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or perhaps he actually did learn something or if he does fail and if it was pure luck for his late season "hot streak", he is benched or accepts a MILB assignment.

It would be best case for Rangers and fan base if he did turn it around. There is talent and a high ceiling.

In the meanwhile we also have problems at 1B, 3B and catcher and really according to recent results at SS.

Success/ change/improvement is needed for all. I would hope all are trying to work and get better. As such I wish them the best.
Perhaps it us just like every other time. His good stretch last year was no better than several others he has had.

Perhaps you will never give up on him until JD does.

He can't be benched more than a few games because he can only play one position and I don't believe he can accept an assignment. He wouldn't accept it if he could. If he would that doesn't mean JD would ask him to. He didn't send him down a few months ago when he could.

Last edited:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Rougie would annoy me so much if he seemed like he gave a damn. He struts around with his fucking pine tar helmet, half-buttoned jersey, homeless bearded self like he's a stud player. Then strikes out and struts back to the dugout like he just smashed a HR.

Honestly there aren't many Ranger players I've disliked more than that prick. Ever since he planted Bautista he has been worthless to this team. It's all about the machismo, can't be bothered to be coached or make adjustments too his hitting approach. Has nothing to do with the contract JD put in front of him, only an idiot wouldn't sign it. Just hate his mannerisms and attitude. How about not being the worst hitter in MLB before you act like you are some sort of badass?

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about going after someone like Hechevarria and moving Elvis to 3B? Frame it as the chance to be our Beltre for the next 5 years to Elvis.

Most teams want bigger bats at the corners of IF/OF and so far Elvis hasn't shown one.

BTA he would expend less energy at 3B and may end up showing a little more power 25HR, 90-100RBI would be nice if he could do it, I would be happy with that.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Rougie would annoy me so much if he seemed like he gave a damn. He struts around with his fucking pine tar helmet, half-buttoned jersey, homeless bearded self like he's a stud player. Then strikes out and struts back to the dugout like he just smashed a HR.

Honestly there aren't many Ranger players I've disliked more than that prick. Ever since he planted Bautista he has been worthless to this team. It's all about the machismo, can't be bothered to be coached or make adjustments too his hitting approach. Has nothing to do with the contract JD put in front of him, only an idiot wouldn't sign it. Just hate his mannerisms and attitude. How about not being the worst hitter in MLB before you act like you are some sort of badass?
He buttoned up end of year.

Hate for Ranger players is counterproductive. I don’t like Donaldson or Bregman but Wiukd be fine if here.
All I am saying is
1. ST/April is new year and if he produces good. If not make other arrangements
2. A lot of bias on this board and what appears to be personal vendettas hoping he does bad singling him out when there is plenty of other issues including Elvis.

But each has his own opinion and I and sure people get tired of what appears me standing up for him but really all I am saying is give him another chance although he has not earned it for overall post contract

That being said the sour Ranger takes get old to me too

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams want bigger bats at the corners of IF/OF and so far Elvis hasn't shown one.

BTA he would expend less energy at 3B and may end up showing a little more power 25HR, 90-100RBI would be nice if he could do it, I would be happy with that.
True, but it would be a better one year (at least) option than giving Donaldson 4 years or trading everything we have to get and pay Arenado. I admit he's not the power bat we need, but he could play plus defense there and there are better options on the market for SS than 3B.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate for Ranger players is counterproductive. I don’t like Donaldson or Bregman but Wiukd be fine if here.
All I am saying is
2. A lot of bias on this board and what appears to be personal vendettas hoping he does bad singling him out when there is plenty of other issues including Elvis.

But each has his own opinion and I and sure people get tired of what appears me standing up for him but really all I am saying is give him another chance although he has not earned it for overall post contract

I won't ever root against a Ranger, but I also won't give any benefit of the doubt when/if crap players that we brought back start playing like crap again. Choo is the perfect example, I disliked that we couldn't get rid of him and he stopped getting on base which was what we paid him to do. Then last year he changed his trajectory and started doing ok again with OBP and I don't recall bitching about him and was happy too watch him play. He also didn't gripe about not getting OF time. If a player wants to either be productive or at least say the right things and act the right way when trying to fix it, sounds good. When someone like Rougie who is all show and no production and refuses to make any changes, screw him.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I am saying is

Odor has been hot garbage since the Bautista punch. That happened in 2016. He’s been nearly the worst mlb regular since then.

I think ranger fans are just extremely disappointed. People are shocked that nothing has been done about it by now.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but it would be a better one year (at least) option than giving Donaldson 4 years or trading everything we have to get and pay Arenado. I admit he's not the power bat we need, but he could play plus defense there and there are better options on the market for SS than 3B.

This years FA Shortstops:

Gordon Beckham (33)
Tim Beckham (30)
Logan Forsythe (33)
Adeiny Hechavarria (31)
Brock Holt (32)
Jose Iglesias (30)
Jordy Mercer (33)
JT Riddle (28)
Sean Rodriguez (35)
Addison Russell (26)

Nothing really stands out unless you take a flier on Russell and hope he gets back to what he once was...

If you do move Andrus it will be until someone from the farm system takes the spot or you trade for somebody because next years FAs are not awe inspiring. (Andrus contract runs thru the next 3 years maybe 4 so that is something that will have to be considered too, too bad it doesn't end after 2021).

2020/2021 FA Third Basemen

Zack Cozart (35)
Tommy La Stella (32)
Jake Lamb (30)
Eric Sogard (35)
Justin Turner (36)

My guess is they'll go after Frazier for 2 years and hope Jung/Wendzel is ready to roll by then.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have done that before though. In the three years prior to moving Young to 3B, he averaged just under 12 HR.