• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 1B would be main spot. I think Calhoun is a fixture now
Unfortunately if we sign an everyday 3B. Solak may be th guy on the short end unless Odor tanks
I agree. To remove Calhoun's bat for another bat who is about the same caliber on defense would make no sense. If the purpose is to increase offensive production then Calhoun and Castellanos would be in the lineup. Plus if they did that again to Calhoun they would need to trade him because he would be worthless after all the jerking around the Rangers have done to him and I wouldn't blame him.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Despite me thinking Odor should get another shot at 2B for 30 days The same goes for Solak he needs an equal shot at a starting position 2B or elsewhere. ST should matter this year

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Despite me thinking Odor should get another shot at 2B for 30 days The same goes for Solak he needs an equal shot at a starting position 2B or elsewhere. ST should matter this year
ST stats are almost worthless. Odor had a great ST a year ago. The tryout was last year and Odor won in management's weak opinion.

Besides, it is too late to bench Odor. He only plays one position.

Pence would have been a cheap backup for both COF positions. They didn't even want to bring him back as a backup since he only played 2 ppsitions. Odor would only play one. That won't work even on a 26 man roster. If they wanted such a limited backup they could have signed Pence for cheap.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Chirinos/Trevino
1b- Castellanos
2b- Odor
3b- Solak
Ss- Andrus
Lf- Calhoun
Cf- Santana
Rf- Gallo
Dh- Choo
Bench: IKF, Heineman, maybe Guzman in a platoon at 1b and cycle Castellanos in the COF and DH spots

Based on what's out there, kind of what I'd like to see, not going to debate about Guzman bc honestly i don't care enough

Solak's arm isn't ideal at 3B but i want his bat in there everyday, and i have no desire to see Todd Frazier out there

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Chirinos/Trevino
1b- Castellanos
2b- Odor
3b- Solak
Ss- Andrus
Lf- Calhoun
Cf- Santana
Rf- Gallo
Dh- Choo
Bench: IKF, Heineman, maybe Guzman in a platoon at 1b and cycle Castellanos in the COF and DH spots

Based on what's out there, kind of what I'd like to see, not going to debate about Guzman bc honestly i don't care enough

Solak's arm isn't ideal at 3B but i want his bat in there everyday, and i have no desire to see Todd Frazier out there
you are probably pretty close with this but i'm really leery about putting Solak at 3rd with no one to step in if it goes south for him. it's a lot to put someone in a position with little experience and expect them to stand up to MLB talent. and with new rules there is room for 1 more bench player so maybe Frazier makes sense

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think the right thing to do would be to let Joey play 3B until one of the young guys are ready.

Good luck getting Joey to agree to that he hates 3B that's why he's in the OF...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck getting Joey to agree to that he hates 3B that's why he's in the OF...
That is putting it a lot stronger than he ever did publicly.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Astros players who were involved should be disciplined also.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Center field is not a priority, Daniels said, which means Danny Santana is the clear front-runner for the position. Adding a right-handed power-hitting outfielder doesn’t seem likely because there isn’t a fit.

A club official rebuked a Money report that the Rangers met with free-agent outfielder Nick Castellanos and are a finalist to sign him. According to the official, the Rangers have not met with him, have not made him an offer and are not going to move Joey Gallo from right field to first base to accommodate Castellanos.

There are also no plans to play Gallo in center field regularly.

The Rangers have some interest in Castellanos and Frazier, both right-handed power hitters who can play first base. Though Castellanos came up as a third baseman, the Rangers don’t view him as a possibility there.

Frazier is a possibility for third. The Rangers have discussed Frazier at third and Castellanos at first.

Another Nick, Nick Solak, is the primary internal candidate to play third. He played there late last season, with mixed reviews. The Rangers like his right-handed bat, but are concerned about his inexperience at third.

One off-season development that might make them more comfortable with Solak at third is the improvements to the starting rotation. The Rangers traded for two-time Cy Young winner Corey Kluber and added fellow right-handers Kyle Gibson and Jordan Lylesto join holdovers Lance Lynn and Mike Minor.

Minor is the only left-hander, and more righties usually make things easier on the left side of an infield.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morosi may have been pulling a rabbit out of his you know what yesterday when he said the Rangers had a recent meeting with Castellanos.

The Texas organization has not even met with Castellanos or made him an offer, a team official tells Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. That’s an unusual and rather direct dispute of a simple factual point — i.e., whether or not a meeting has occurred.

The Rangers to hold some interest in Castellanos, per the more recent report, but it’s predicated on utilizing him at first base rather than in the outfield. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News also explored this concept yesterday. It’s said to be possible the club could add both Castellanos and Todd Frazier, with the latter slated primarily for action at third.

Meanwhile, Rangers president of baseball operations Jon Daniels says that the team isn’t focused on adding a center fielder. Joey Gallo isn’t expected to line up there primarily, says Wilson. Rather, it seems Danny Santana will be given a chance to build off of his surprising 2019 showing.

The focus at present, according to Wilson, isn’t necessarily all that splashy. Texas wishes to improve its roster options behind the dish, at first base, and in the relief corps.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember 2 years ago they were going to leave Gallo at 1B all year. That lasted 14 games into the season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is on 1B.

What is on 2B.

I Don't Know is on 3B.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant reports:

"On Monday, three sources confirmed the club has reengaged with free agent Nicholas Castellanos about a multiyear contract to be, well, a right-handed hitter somewhere in the lineup."

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, Alex Cora could be looking at an extremely long suspension (if not a ban altogether). He was an Astros coach in 2017 and the Red Sox manager in 2018. That’s one guy overseeing or taking part in cheating for 2 separate clubs in consecutive years.