• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard his framing skills took a drop. The big disappointment to me was his not helping catch for a guy like Hearn. Don’t think he did much for the other young guys either did he?
I think if the IKF at catcher experiment is done, then the need for Mathis to help him is done as well.

To me, one of the best things about taking the calling of balls and strikes away from the umpires, is that we won't have to here about framing any longer.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the IKF at catcher experiment is done, then the need for Mathis to help him is done as well.

To me, one of the best things about taking the calling of balls and strikes away from the umpires, is that we won't have to here about framing any longer.

It's still viable in an emergency situation, if we ever have a situation where you need to pinch hit for a catcher and someone also gets hurt

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m glad chirinos is back.

I’ll be the first one to admit that I didn’t like him while he was here and thought we could do better.

I quickly realized after watching Mathis that is not the case.

at least chirinos isn’t an automatic out, but he does strike out too much for my liking. He kind of falls into the “hero ball” mold. We have too many of those types already and might be adding another with Frazier.

Although...... when you compare him to Mathis it’s still a definite upgrade.

took us forever to get a position player! :gaah:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m glad chirinos is back.

I’ll be the first one to admit that I didn’t like him while he was here and thought we could do better.

I quickly realized after watching Mathis that is not the case.

at least chirinos isn’t an automatic out, but he does strike out too much for my liking. He kind of falls into the “hero ball” mold. We have too many of those types already and might be adding another with Frazier.

Although...... when you compare him to Mathis it’s still a definite upgrade.

took us forever to get a position player! :gaah:

At catcher anything above a .700 OPS and not terrible defense, you take it most of the time

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still viable in an emergency situation, if we ever have a situation where you need to pinch hit for a catcher and someone also gets hurt
Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. I meant the effort to make IKF a fulltime catcher is supposedly over with. I think Mathis was brought in to help in that area and now that role won't be needed for Mathis to fill.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed both Evan Grant and Adam Morris are trying to point out that the Rangers are admitting a mistake in bringing back Chirinos. That is a weak attempt to try and paint the front office as not having a problem admitting a mistake.

Not signing Chirinos in a rebuilding year was not really a mistake though. So bringing him back does not prove that they don't have a problem admitting a mistake. Nice try Evan and Adam, but you are not fooling anyone.

Also, no one ever said they never admit any mistakes. There is an elephant in the room that isn't mentioned though.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed both Evan Grant and Adam Morris are trying to point out that the Rangers are admitting a mistake in bringing back Chirinos. That is a weak attempt to try and paint the front office as not having a problem admitting a mistake.

Not signing Chirinos in a rebuilding year was not really a mistake though. So bringing him back does not prove that they don't have a problem admitting a mistake. Nice try Evan and Adam, but you are not fooling anyone.

Also, no one ever said they never admit any mistakes. There is an elephant in the room that isn't mentioned though.
I noticed the same thing too as if to add some humility to FO. They Would never admit in this situation it was a mistake for Mathis. It would be a disrespect to him. And do agree re last year was obvious rebuild.
Again my issue was not enough help for young pitchers. Do not have a ton of hope for IKF

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was surprised when they let Chirinos walk but one thing not being mentioned is that in 2018 he only had a caught stealing of 10%. That is ridiculously bad. Of active catchers in the league he is 32nd at 24.42%. He has a nice controlled swing even if he misses at times but I can see what the issue was. How a catcher handles his pitchers and helps control the running game is of great importance. Think about Pudge who actually threw out over 50% at least 7 times and over 60% once.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised when they let Chirinos walk but one thing not being mentioned is that in 2018 he only had a caught stealing of 10%. That is ridiculously bad. Of active catchers in the league he is 32nd at 24.42%. He has a nice controlled swing even if he misses at times but I can see what the issue was. How a catcher handles his pitchers and helps control the running game is of great importance. Think about Pudge who actually threw out over 50% at least 7 times and over 60% once.
Watching Sundberg and Pudge has definitely spoiled me.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way Trevino threw out 44% last year.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Sundberg and Pudge has definitely spoiled me.
Two very good catchers we were blessed to have. Add Pudge's offense and enthusiasm for the game he was fun to watch. Remember a number of times being at a game and a guy would get a really good jump and think he stole that base and Pudge would throw a rocket and get the guy out. Unbelievable.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two very good catchers we were blessed to have. Add Pudge's offense and enthusiasm for the game he was fun to watch. Remember a number of times being at a game and a guy would get a really good jump and think he stole that base and Pudge would throw a rocket and get the guy out. Unbelievable.
Almost 20 years ago I went to a game down in Houston. Pudge ended the game by picking a runner off of 1B. That was classic Pudge.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. I meant the effort to make IKF a fulltime catcher is supposedly over with. I think Mathis was brought in to help in that area and now that role won't be needed for Mathis to fill.

Yeah I re-read your comment later and realized I misinterpreted your comment

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, with all the rumors floating around what do you think the Rangers do next?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3