• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Arenado keeps his opt out, I am not interested at all. He does us no good if he leaves in a couple of years.
So if we make an offer the quality of the offer would be tempered by whether he would agree to waive the opt out after the 2021 season or agree to move the opt out out another year or 2.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we make an offer the quality of the offer would be tempered by whether he would agree to waive the opt out after the 2021 season or agree to move the opt out out another year or 2.
Yeah, and I wouldn't give up part of our future to have him for just two years.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I wouldn't give up part of our future to have him for just two years.
It would depend on what we would have give for those 2 years if part of the package was Odor and his contract I would do it but Arenado would have to invoke his opt out following the 2021 season prior to the trade. I just don't see him passing on the 35M per season that he would earn over the 2022, 2023, 2024 & 2025 seasons

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am not counting on Mathis. I think Trevino will get the bulk of the playing time unless they sign Chirinos.
Agree. Trevino gets most of the playing time and he was looking better all the time. If Chirinos was so awesome why didn't the Astros keep him. And the Angels can have Castro.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Donaldson Reportedly Sets Asking Price

The star third baseman has given teams what amounts to a firm and final asking price, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription link). Donaldson is “simply waiting for one of the clubs to his his number” — around $110MM — per the report.

It seems, then, that the Braves, Nationals, Twins, Rangers, Dodgers, and any other lurkers need only place a single phone call to Donaldson’s reps to get the paperwork started. With the first three of those clubs reportedly already close to Donaldson’s asking price, it doesn’t seem like a huge stretch to bridge the gap. On the other hand, it may be that these teams feel they’ve already moved well out of their comfort zone for a 34-year-old player with a not-so-distant injury history, however talented he may be.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Donaldson Reportedly Sets Asking Price

The star third baseman has given teams what amounts to a firm and final asking price, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription link). Donaldson is “simply waiting for one of the clubs to his his number” — around $110MM — per the report.

It seems, then, that the Braves, Nationals, Twins, Rangers, Dodgers, and any other lurkers need only place a single phone call to Donaldson’s reps to get the paperwork started. With the first three of those clubs reportedly already close to Donaldson’s asking price, it doesn’t seem like a huge stretch to bridge the gap. On the other hand, it may be that these teams feel they’ve already moved well out of their comfort zone for a 34-year-old player with a not-so-distant injury history, however talented he may be.

I would rather see Solak work on his arm strength the entire off-season than end up with Donaldson, even if Donaldson made us a contender and he doesn't

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see Solak work on his arm strength the entire off-season than end up with Donaldson, even if Donaldson made us a contender and he doesn't
Working on arm strength isn't going to turn him even into an average 3rd baseman. If the plan is to turn him into one then working on arm strength in the off-season followed by playing full-time there at AAA should be the plan. Throwing him there at the MLB level would be a disaster for an already poor defensive infield and for the pitchers

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working on arm strength isn't going to turn him even into an average 3rd baseman. If the plan is to turn him into one then working on arm strength in the off-season followed by playing full-time there at AAA should be the plan. Throwing him there at the MLB level would be a disaster for an already poor defensive infield and for the pitchers
It would be an improvement of an otherwise poor offensive infield though.

I think he needs to be playing 2B every day in AAA.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barely an improvement and I want him at 2B here and Odor gone

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rangers plan on doing something at 1B (24th worst), 3B (28th worst) and Catcher (29th worst).
Odor at 2B isn’t really helpful either (26th worst). I would let Solak start at 2B if he earns it.
Even if we signed Frazier 3B, Chirinos C, and Thames 1B we would much better in the infield than last year. With Odors contract though I’m not sure what the plan is there.. they’ll probably just have to hope for a rebound season..
I’d rather see the guy hit 20 home runs with a .275/.335/.465 split than hit 35 homeruns and be an easy out the rest of the time.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rangers plan on doing something at 1B (24th worst), 3B (28th worst) and Catcher (29th worst).
Odor at 2B isn’t really helpful either (26th worst). I would let Solak start at 2B if he earns it.
Even if we signed Frazier 3B, Chirinos C, and Thames 1B we would much better in the infield than last year. With Odors contract though I’m not sure what the plan is there.. they’ll probably just have to hope for a rebound season..
I’d rather see the guy hit 20 home runs with a .275/.335/.465 split than hit 35 homeruns and be an easy out the rest of the time.

we probably have the worst infield overall in Major League Baseball and I really haven’t seen them take any steps to fix that.

I’ll give them props on the rotation, but I don’t think people are looking forward to seeing a bunch of 1-0 or 2-0 losses. I was really hoping for a lot more movement with the infield bats and maybe to see odor or condor moved as well. It’s pretty disappointing actually.

I guess we still have a month, but everyday that goes by without a move makes it likely we will see deadbeats like condor, odor, and Mathis playing 150+ games. I can guarantee nobody wants to see that except for possibly Davis / Simpson whoever gave odor that shitty pony.

we gotta get someone who can hit besides willie Calhoun and Choo. The same Calhoun who they actually sent down to the minors last year while odor and condor were hitting below the Mendoza line.

:trash:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we probably have the worst infield overall in Major League Baseball and I really haven’t seen them take any steps to fix that.

I’ll give them props on the rotation, but I don’t think people are looking forward to seeing a bunch of 1-0 or 2-0 losses. I was really hoping for a lot more movement with the infield bats and maybe to see odor or condor moved as well. It’s pretty disappointing actually.

I guess we still have a month, but everyday that goes by without a move makes it likely we will see deadbeats like condor, odor, and Mathis playing 150+ games. I can guarantee nobody wants to see that except for possibly Davis / Simpson whoever gave odor that shitty pony.

we gotta get someone who can hit besides willie Calhoun and Choo. The same Calhoun who they actually sent down to the minors last year while odor and condor were hitting below the Mendoza line.

Why are you being so mean toward the sweet pony. He did not have anything to do with the deal:scratch:?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt we are done. A lot of dominos to fall after Donaldson signs.
My guess is we will get another RHB regardless. Maybe 2. Hard to get a feel if we get Nolan A

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an interesting article re Curt Schilling and his merits for HOF by Peter Gammons in the Athletic. I do agree with his take that regardless of his politics this is a guy that absolutely needs to be there. Probably best clutch pitcher in recent eras

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt we are done. A lot of dominos to fall after Donaldson signs.
My guess is we will get another RHB regardless. Maybe 2. Hard to get a feel if we get Nolan A

the Rockies will probably scoff at our low ball offer and just keep arenado.

you know that’s most likely what happens.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you guys haven't figured out yet that Odor is going nowhere IDK what to tell you. Even if the guy has a bad ST and first month, he's the starting 2B for the Rangers for a few years by pride and contract alone. They have proven to not bite the bullet and admit mistakes, so IDK why people on here talk about it like he's going anywhere

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys haven't figured out yet that Odor is going nowhere IDK what to tell you. Even if the guy has a bad ST and first month, he's the starting 2B for the Rangers for a few years by pride and contract alone. They have proven to not bite the bullet and admit mistakes, so IDK why people on here talk about it like he's going anywhere
You are absolutely correct. At some point that will lead to us trading Solak.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Gallo and Santana can hit. Solak can, but he plays the wrong position.