• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been linked to Dominic Smith quite a bit

Maybe, but he's another LHed bat something we don't really need considering the positions he plays, BTA maybe they're looking at him for next year and playing LF when they think Choo will be gone and Willie will be the DH. Me personally I hope Heinemann can figure out how to hit MLB pitching and make finding a LFer a moot point for a few years.

One thing they do need to try to figure out this year is who is going to be their leadoff man in the near future?

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maikel Franco wouldn't upset me if it's a competition between several players and let the best player win

Have heard the Rangers are interested in him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maikel Franco wouldn't upset me if it's a competition between several players and let the best player win

Wish they would do that at 2B
The fact he was released and no one else seems the least interested in him except as ST fodder but apparently the Rangers look at him differently. Guess that explains why the team struggles with their choices

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact he was released and no one else seems the least interested in him except as ST fodder but apparently the Rangers look at him differently. Guess that explains why the team struggles with their choices
They have not signed him so who knows. He was release because they wanted more for the money he was due

I hope they shoot a bit higher or fill internally

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have not signed him so who knows. He was release because they wanted more for the money he was due

I hope they shoot a bit higher or fill internally
I hope they shoot a lot higher. Don't think we have anyone internally ready to step in at 3rd.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note. Thread by Craig C very interesting

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think we have anyone internally ready to step in at 3rd.

Ibanez is probably the closest he had somewhat of a breakout year with the bat last year and could "maybe" be seen as a fill in (or he might surprise us) until Jung (or Apostel) is ready.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ibanez is probably the closest he had somewhat of a breakout year with the bat last year and could "maybe" be seen as a fill in (or he might surprise us) until Jung (or Apostel) is ready.
Ibanez is not even on the 40 or top 30 prospects

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers’ final offer to Rendon was 6 years, $193 Million. So, we are all correct in saying they were NEVER serious about signing him, seeing as how Washington’s OPENING offer to him (which he quickly rejected) during the season was 6 years, $200 Million.

I’m done with the whole Rendon thing after this post. But two final thoughts-

1) the Angels, in the end, were essentially bidding against themselves, and seemingly overpaid by a good $30 Million (unless there was another mystery offer out there close to theirs). Angels fans are livid today now that the final offers have been made public. It again touches on what we’ve all been talking about- that Arte Moreno is a complete idiot when it comes to money and signings, but he’s not afraid to waste his own money to get the guy he wants.

2) the Rangers continue to insult their fans with the pretense that they were “in” on Rendon, and that’s what’s got so many here like jta, bmurph, saddles, and me angry. It’s insulting that they think fans aren’t smart enough to see through their veiled attempts at tricking everyone into believing they want to spend with the big boys. Stop lying to everyone. Just be upfront and honest and say “we’re going to be active on several fronts this offseason, and we think we’ve identified multiple players who can make us a better team. We will definitely be exploring the trade market for star players, and we’re open to signing some big names on the free agent market provided that the cost is right. But we’re not going to be chasing the most expensive players this offseason.” That would at least set correct expectations among the fan base... the same people who just built you a billion dollar stadium and who you are asking to shell out big bucks for tickets this year. The worst thing you can do is tell all of your fans that you’re going to be big spenders this offseason and chase the biggest names available, only for them to watch you sign more “project” players on the cheap and not even come close to signing anyone big.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switching gears now... what are your thoughts on Kyle Seager as a cheap 3B alternative? He’s been pretty mediocre for 2 seasons now, but he’s always been a Rangers killer and seems to love playing here. Of course, I would much rather have a permanent solution in the form of a star player like Bryant or Arenado. But if that doesn’t materialize, I think I’d rather have Seager on a cheap/short contract than some of the other options being floated around (Franco, Lowrie, etc.).

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switching gears now... what are your thoughts on Kyle Seager as a cheap 3B alternative? He’s been pretty mediocre for 2 seasons now, but he’s always been a Rangers killer and seems to love playing here. Of course, I would much rather have a permanent solution in the form of a star player like Bryant or Arenado. But if that doesn’t materialize, I think I’d rather have Seager on a cheap/short contract than some of the other options being floated around (Franco, Lowrie, etc.).

He would have to agree to restructure which I think not. He gets an auto opt in if traded. His splits have been real good again Rangers but not nearly as good against others. Plus left handed. So pass. Yes those plan B options to me are replacement level.
No good answers from me.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is time to jerk Joey Gallo around and let him take 3B 2 years while we wait on Jung....

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is time to jerk Joey Gallo around and let him take 3B 2 years while we wait on Jung....
I say leave Joey alone. He is a good RF with a strong arm and Jung may not pan out. A FA like Seager would fit ok til Jung is ready if he makes it . No sense jerking Joey around unless he is 100% with being on 3rd. Who would play RF?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems appropriate after the Winter Meetings. The future went up in flames and now this.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if scared is it but despite 6 years and option to Rendon, I think Boras played them as he was going to have nothing less than 7 guaranteed.

Do help the owners are selling. Who knows what happens to JD after that.
Would not be surprised if he transitions to Pres only
It looks just lime theybate scared or just too cheap one. Not sure one is any better than the other.

JD needs to move on somewhere elae.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean i give them a 5, the Gibson and Lyles signings were shrewd moves and could be nice signings... time will tell
I will give them a 1.