• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with money, it has everything to do with be fake about it... the years needed were well established, they tried to get him to take 6 and an option and presented it as a good faith effort... if you get outbid, you get outbid
I have stated this as well. More of a general statement re our acquisitions. TJ rejects etc

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have stated this as well. More of a general statement re our acquisitions. TJ rejects etc

I don't mind the TJ rejects, its just ST fodder, sometimes they pan out, it just sucks when most don't; Lynn and Minor did... a lot of others haven't... I actually had hopes for Smyly and Miller last year

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps to understand that I wasn't trying to refute anything you were saying by posting the picture of Yu... it was more of a reminder to everyone here that the Rangers have "targeted their guy" and "paid whatever it took." If we're going to give the Angels credit for doing that, let's go ahead and give the Rangers credit for that as well. I simply quoted your post for the relevance to my point. So it doesn't really "fly in the face of my assertion," mostly because you misunderstood what my assertion was.

As for the "bitching either way, regardless of circumstance" opinion I have of the attitudes around here... well, I've been on this board for 5 years, and if the shoe fits...

The bold is funny considering your next paragraph is confirming that my understanding of your assertion was spot on. You are claiming those pithing would bitch no matter what.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point re Arte is I think some teams are favored due to Boras overall plan to get his guys where HE might want them. Smells of collusion to me

Does not give a pass to team. Good move have been made at a discount and at a premium, sometimes an overpay. This one hurt since Rendon is an obvious fit. I also think ownership is more interested in a profit and like any company underlings like JDhas to tow the line

But we all knew it would take 7 years not 6 years and an option but still no one knows exactly what goes on behind closed doors

And to me if JD would have come right out and said "we wanted a 5 year deal, offered a 6th and club 7th but he wanted the extra guarantee and we wanted the flexibility of not blocking our up and coming players" I would be happy. It's the comments saying "this is our guy, we are going to get him" and then walk away with no explanation that pisses me off. He obviously wasn't your guy, so don't claim he is.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if there is a baseball franchise that has blown more bad decisions than the Angels. From Wells to Matthews Jrs, to Hamilton to Pujols getting paid the huge 10 year contract for the time for okay stats to the massive contract for Trout who I think they should have traded for a decent return on players including pitchers not to mention hiring a statue like Ausmus.
I won't argue about their bad decisions on signings but the difference is that Moreno accepts that he made a bad decision and moves on and doesn't allow that to stop him from making the next decision.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned yesterday, the Cost-of-living index for CA is 136 vs 90 in TX. Plus, CA has a 12% state sales tax.

So really the money - assuming we offered 6 for $200 mil - is about the same. So Rendon is playing the 7th year for free.

To make matters even murkier - is that a word? - he's a Texan.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Takes spot earmarked for Rendon

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All quiet on the Ranger front

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They knew Rendon wanted 7 years. You offer him 5 or 6 if you just want it to appear you are trying to sign him.

They are frauds, JD and ownership.

Had we offered as much as they did and.Rendon had chosen somewhere else I would have been fine with our effort, just like I was with not getting Cliff Lee. I hated not getting Lee, but that wasn't management's fault.

They are refusing to adjust to the market, but pretending that they are.

JD and company just can't build a really good team without a Teixeira trade and Josh Hamilton falling into his lap. If they had a Teixeira, they would cling to him and long for Fool's Gold instead of trading him.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad we decided to use payroll to bring back Jeffrey Springs. I was worried there for a minute we wouldn’t be able to find another 5 ERA raging dumpster fire to take his place. But all is better now. If we can just ink Jeff Mathis to a 10 year $10 Million extension now, we’ll be all set.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue about their bad decisions on signings but the difference is that Moreno accepts that he made a bad decision and moves on and doesn't allow that to stop him from making the next decision.

Precisely. It’s like getting shot down by a girl in a humiliating way. Either you can pick up the pieces of your ego, admit it didn’t work, and keep asking girls out in the future, or you can let that one experience ruin you forever and just decide to be alone.

Moreno is still at least TRYING to run with the big dogs. Rendon might turn out just like Matthews, Hamilton, and all of his other hilarious failures. But at least he hasn’t given up.

Our penny-pinching crooks got burned one time by signing a big bad contract in Choo, and then promised themselves no one would ever steal their gold again.

You have to have at least 1 or 2 elite level players to win a pennant. Period. And we have zero, and our owners have no interest in acquiring one unless he is gifted to us on a silver platter with a contract way under market value.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, during the Rangers run of 2011, when I would sit with the players’ wives and families during playoff games, I used to hear them bad-mouthing Simpson and Davis ALL THE TIME, talking about how they were bad for the franchise. I wondered why they would feel that way. Now I know.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-13-14-35-36.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-13-14-35-36.png
    532.3 KB · Views: 6

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny to read how impressed some of you are with Moreno and his willingness to spend to "compete" in the division. If the Rangers had signed those contracts and gotten the same results as the Angels have, you'd all be bitching about incompetent ownership.

Not my money, so I would never bitch as long as he keeps throwing money at the team trying to improve and win however going about it all wrong. He's spending his money all wrong but at least he's spending it and continues to throw money at it. The Rangers ownership it appears, after the Fielder acquisition and the Choo contract and the fact that the Yu Darvish deal didnt net us a WS, have all but stopped spending on anything but low tier FA's or guys coming off major injuries. Trying to appear to compete or say they are going to be competitive, all the while not trying at all.

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He just keeps on spending money and really the wrong way but he spends it. That might make him a dumbass but he's definitely not a cheap ass......

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. They have made some really idiotic decisions.
and now they're afraid of their own shadows, afraid to even try. sorry I would rather have a Moreno as an owner then them because he recognizes that owning a team means you have to gamble about signing players or your team will always be an average or worse team. yeah as fans we can gripe about this idiotic move or another but i'd rather see them taking the gamble.
right now, the Astros are on an elite level, the A's just continue to find pieces and compete, the Angels keep adding pieces like Rendon and have moved pass the Rangers who continue to sit and wait. we will spend the next couple of seasons or more sitting and watching the Astros, A's and Angels competing while we watch our owners and JD waiting, signing tier 4 and 5 "FA's" and praying that all of our prospects reach the big leagues and turn into superstars.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my money, so I would never bitch as long as he keeps throwing money at the team trying to improve and win however going about it all wrong. He's spending his money all wrong but at least he's spending it and continues to throw money at it. The Rangers ownership it appears, after the Fielder acquisition and the Choo contract and the fact that the Yu Darvish deal didnt net us a WS, have all but stopped spending on anything but low tier FA's or guys coming off major injuries. Trying to appear to compete or say they are going to be competitive, all the while not trying at all.
don't agree with the "going about it all wrong" part. he is trying to make his team competitive by signing what are perceived, sometimes wrong sometimes right, as critically above average or better. sometimes you win sometimes you lose but you don't quit trying just because you got it wrong this time or the next. you just make better decisions.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the TJ rejects, its just ST fodder, sometimes they pan out, it just sucks when most don't; Lynn and Minor did... a lot of others haven't... I actually had hopes for Smyly and Miller last year
we have had a lot more misses going with these TJ rejects and the tier 4 and 5 "FA's and I don't hear the same level of bitching about the owner's failures as I hear when they sign an upper level FA and it doesn't go as planned. how many millions has been wasted signing multiples of these players who fail? for every Minor or Lynn the Rangers have signed there is a long list of failures over the last 5 years