• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for free market enterprise.
What?

Meh, I did the same thing in my last position. Something new opened that was a promotion, before I put in I went to my boss and said I was going to put in for it unless they could match it, he told me "sounds like a good opportunity, you should go for it", I did and got it. I never gave him an opportunity to match it after I was offered by the new group. Why should I? I like the guy but he basically dared me to put myself out there. If he really wanted to keep me he was given the chance.

Same deal here. if you really want my guy then this is what it takes. If not we will get it elsewhere. Texas thought he couldn't, JD was wrong.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Boras told the Rangers the first time to give their best offer and they didn't go up to 7 like he asked. So he told them to get lost, the Angels gave his client what his client wanted so at some point you stop the back and forth and pick the winner. LAA was willing to do it, Texas wanted to pinch pennies.

LAA has a massive shitty contract coming off the books in two seasons, we have one coming off the books in one season. And LAA was willing to start the build now. I don't really mind that we didn't block Jung for 7 years, just hate the fake "we are gonna compete and get our guys" crap that JD spews. No, if you wanted to get your guy you would get your guy. What he means to say is "we are going to compete and get our guys if they will take a worse deal to play here", and they won't.

Yes I feel like they're a bunch of used car salesmen... bait and switch.... Look at Rendon but look, we got Lyles and Gibson instead, how cool!

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. This is the same approach they took with Rendon.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny to read how impressed some of you are with Moreno and his willingness to spend to "compete" in the division. If the Rangers had signed those contracts and gotten the same results as the Angels have, you'd all be bitching about incompetent ownership.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny to read how impressed some of you are with Moreno and his willingness to spend to "compete" in the division. If the Rangers had signed those contracts and gotten the same results as the Angels have, you'd all be bitching about incompetent ownership.
Exactly. They have made some really idiotic decisions.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or had made a trade for a so so player they are paying not to play.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I feel like they're a bunch of used car salesmen... bait and switch.... Look at Rendon but look, we got Lyles and Gibson instead, how cool!
They are frauds.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels have made some terrible decisions. In my estimation, this is not one of them though.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love the opportunity to prove you wrong, but seeing as JD has never given me the opportunity I guess we just have to chalk up your view as conjecture.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want us to sign Josh or Pujols, so I agree those deals are stupid. But I give them credit for targetting a guy and getting the guy. Same with Ohtani. They wanted and they got him. Sometimes you have to overpay if you really want a guy.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I give them credit for targeting a guy and getting the guy. Same with Ohtani. They wanted and they got him. Sometimes you have to overpay if you really want a guy.

image.jpg

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want us to sign Josh or Pujols, so I agree those deals are stupid. But I give them credit for targetting a guy and getting the guy. Same with Ohtani. They wanted and they got him. Sometimes you have to overpay if you really want a guy.
In this present market, they didn't overpay for Rendon. If that market is too rich for them, they need to go into another line of business.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love the opportunity to prove you wrong, but seeing as JD has never given me the opportunity I guess we just have to chalk up your view as conjecture.

Ok, I'll bite. How does this conversation jive with your position? Your position is that those of us bitching about JD would bitch if we did sign a top target or didn't sign the top target. I said I'd love the opportunity to prove you wrong, you posted Yu...which based on my excitement when we got him does just that and proves you wrong.

"sure".

:rolleyes2:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll bite.

It helps to understand that I wasn't trying to refute anything you were saying by posting the picture of Yu... it was more of a reminder to everyone here that the Rangers have "targeted their guy" and "paid whatever it took." If we're going to give the Angels credit for doing that, let's go ahead and give the Rangers credit for that as well. I simply quoted your post for the relevance to my point. So it doesn't really "fly in the face of my assertion," mostly because you misunderstood what my assertion was.

As for the "bitching either way, regardless of circumstance" opinion I have of the attitudes around here... well, I've been on this board for 5 years, and if the shoe fits...

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point re Arte is I think some teams are favored due to Boras overall plan to get his guys where HE might want them. Smells of collusion to me

Does not give a pass to team. Good move have been made at a discount and at a premium, sometimes an overpay. This one hurt since Rendon is an obvious fit. I also think ownership is more interested in a profit and like any company underlings like JDhas to tow the line

But we all knew it would take 7 years not 6 years and an option but still no one knows exactly what goes on behind closed doors

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very foolish to think JD has control of the checkbook and can spend as liberally as LAA

Direct your angst appropriately

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

Meh, I did the same thing in my last position. Something new opened that was a promotion, before I put in I went to my boss and said I was going to put in for it unless they could match it, he told me "sounds like a good opportunity, you should go for it", I did and got it. I never gave him an opportunity to match it after I was offered by the new group. Why should I? I like the guy but he basically dared me to put myself out there. If he really wanted to keep me he was given the chance.

Same deal here. if you really want my guy then this is what it takes. If not we will get it elsewhere. Texas thought he couldn't, JD was wrong.
Of course I have seen counter offers result in no job My point is Arte repented to Boras and he got cut a break

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very foolish to think JD has control of the checkbook and can spend as liberally as LAA

Direct your angst appropriately

It has nothing to do with money, it has everything to do with be fake about it... the years needed were well established, they tried to get him to take 6 and an option and presented it as a good faith effort... if you get outbid, you get outbid