• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to assume that. I think he has to be held reapomsible.

If I am going to let JD off the hook when bad things happen, then I can't give him credit when good things happen. I never gave the owners credit for the Cliff Lee trade or the Beltre acquisition.

I blame the owners and JD. I think they all need to go. They just can't do the job.

I worked for a company that was bought out and all the employees were let go except me fortunately. I was a bit of a Maverick but still worked under the parameters given.

JD is basically only an employee in the eyes of ownership easily replaceable. This is how big business works. You are sadly mistaken if you think he has carte Blanche calling the shots and contro of the purse strings.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not pushing politics Ha. Just thought it interesting.

Will say this much ownership in MLB is not a shining example of free enterprise.... we shall see what concessions are made and if there is actual negotiations.
I know, but I can't hear that man's name or hear him spoken of without that being my natural response

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked for a company that was bought out and all the employees were let go except me fortunately. I was a bit of a Maverick but still worked under the parameters given.

JD is basically only an employee in the eyes of ownership easily replaceable. This is how big business works. You are sadly mistaken if you think he has carte Blanche calling the shots and contro of the purse strings.
It is not run like any business you or I have ever been a part of. Make excuses for him if you want to. I don't owe him that so I am not going to look the other way. If it is his decision making then he needs to be fired. If it isn't up to him, they should fire him and bring in someone much cheaper to be a yes man and a puppet. Take your pick. Either he is a puppet or he is responsible.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone really believe that we are pursuing a trade for Kluber or is this another lie by JD and the Ownership?

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone really believe that we are pursuing a trade for Kluber or is this another lie by JD and the Ownership?

He has pitched very well in the past but stunk it up mightily last year and was injured almost the whole season. You can look at his contract 2 ways he comes cheap for what his performance has been and is only guaranteed for 2020 with a club option for 2021. So if you trade for him and he produces you have control for 2 years, if last years performance is the new Cory and injuries resist then you buy him out in 2021 ($1M) and say sayonara and whine about the prospects you gave up.

So the question is do you take the chance on him returning to form or do you pass and keep amassing more prospects??

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heineman is not very good IMO, but you can hope your ass off

So who is the better defender a guy who can barely play 1 position or one that can and has played 4 positions therefore being much more versatile and useful?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has pitched very well in the past but stunk it up mightily last year and was injured almost the whole season. You can look at his contract 2 ways he comes cheap for what his performance has been and is only guaranteed for 2020 with a club option for 2021. So if you trade for him and he produces you have control for 2 years, if last years performance is the new Cory and injuries resist then you buy him out in 2021 ($1M) and say sayonara and whine about the prospects you gave up.

So the question is do you take the chance on him returning to form or do you pass and keep amassing more prospects??
If I believed that the Rangers were actually interested in him I would take the gamble but I don't think we are

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I believed that the Rangers were actually interested in him I would take the gamble but I don't think we are

To me the big thing is is he fully recovered from his forearm injury or is it more serious than anybody is letting on? He was hit with a line drive in his pitching arm and fractured it on May 1st and then was pulled from his first rehab start in mid August with a supposed oblique issue.

Supposedly all of these problems have gone away but if I was the Rangers I would do my due diligence and snoop deeply before making any commitments. Another problem is he will be 34 about the time the season starts and that's about when most SPs start tailing off, lots to think about...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the big thing is is he fully recovered from his forearm injury or is it more serious than anybody is letting on? He was hit with a line drive in his pitching arm and fractured it on May 1st and then was pulled from his first rehab start in mid August with a supposed oblique issue.

Supposedly all of these problems have gone away but if I was the Rangers I would do my due diligence and snoop deeply before making any commitments. Another problem is he will be 34 about the time the season starts and that's about when most SPs start tailing off, lots to think about...
good points

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this kind of stuff really does point the “what’s wrong?” Finger at ownership. JD is still making moves that help us, but he literally has no room to maneuver.

I can’t believe the ownership group has gone full Tom Hicks on us again. We need these losers to sell the team.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we got Corey Kluber. Could be a major coup or a major bust, depending on who we had to give up and how Kluber rebounds this year from injury.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeShields and Clase part of the package to Cleveland. Who plays center now?

Comm1

The Kinda New Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 557.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kluber signed to Texas through 2020. With a club option for 2021.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know for a fact that most people here couldn’t stand Delino. Clase looks like a ready made solid RH bullpen piece. The Indians will have him for pennies for 6 years.

relievers are pretty much the one thing we are good at developing. I don’t hate this deal tho because it presumably gives us a way to put Santana in the lineup everyday ( unless JD wants to start his pet prospect from the Mazara trade). We pretty much gave up depth to acquire what is hopefully a #2 pitcher for several years.

the starting rotation looks much better then last year at this point. Last year, we had losers like Shelby Miller and smyly pitching every 5th day. We still haven’t done anything to rectify the shitty ass lineup we have tho.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know for a fact that most people here couldn’t stand Delino. Clase looks like a ready made solid RH bullpen piece. The Indians will have him for pennies for 6 years.

relievers are pretty much the one thing we are good at developing. I don’t hate this deal tho because it presumably gives us a way to put Santana in the lineup everyday ( unless JD wants to start his pet prospect from the Mazara trade). We pretty much gave up depth to acquire what is hopefully a #2 pitcher for several years.

the starting rotation looks much better then last year at this point. Last year, we had losers like Shelby Miller and smyly pitching every 5th day. We still haven’t done anything to rectify the shitty ass lineup we have tho.
Time will tell but this trade can easily go either way. Losing DDJ was no big loss but the little guy worked hard and had his place.