• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with giving Heineman a chance. Morgan is just not very good even as a prospect. Ibanez is on the cusp so I wouldn't have a problem with him, but that would mean trading an infielder and that isn't going to happen. Cole and Lopes aren't ready. Morgan probably won't ever be ready.

I would not bring up anyone and put them on the bench.

Exactly and who would we trade /send down to make room? Nobody that I see. The IF remains as is except C. Until we resolve the rotation don't look for more action b/c it simply is not needed immediately imo.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with giving Heineman a chance. Morgan is just not very good even as a prospect. Ibanez is on the cusp so I wouldn't have a problem with him, but that would mean trading an infielder and that isn't going to happen. Cole and Lopes aren't ready. Morgan probably won't ever be ready.

I would not bring up anyone and put them on the bench.
again you may be right but I would personally go with them than the present inhouse options or with the FA options that JD would waste money on

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One mans perspective

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and who would we trade /send down to make room? Nobody that I see. The IF remains as is except C. Until we resolve the rotation don't look for more action b/c it simply is not needed immediately imo.
well off the top of my head: I would outright or trade Gardewine, B. Martin, R. Rodriquez, DDJ, D. Robinson, C. Martin, Choo & Andrus or Odor but what do I know

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t think we are shaking up IF too much. Would not be surprised if we grab a catcher and CF. Those are the best possibilities to be promoted if you have a lights out spring training.

Have to think a LHB is on the trade clock and CF who is RHB would be best

Obviously we need SP. Would be nice to get one that rivals the quality of Minor on a extended contract. Not talking Ace. And maybe another like Dutch.

If we certain players bomb out then we may be trading assets again at ASB.

Never respected the Astro route and think fielding a AAA squad in MLB should be penalized

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of talk in the press conference about the process being more important than the results. If the results aren't good after awhile then that shows the process is not the right process. Looks like we get to hear the word "process" all year around now.

Yes Process =Patience =more development

Just want to see real progress

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we've seen what DDJ(.216), Robinson(.186), Tocci(.225), etc can do at the ML level so why not look at Heineman, Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan and see what they can bring? 2019 should be a testing period to see what we have

Honestly we've also seen DDJ do a whole lot better than that too, I personally don't think he was ever right after hurting his hand/wrist early in the season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly we've also seen DDJ do a whole lot better than that too, I personally don't think he was ever right after hurting his hand/wrist early in the season
move him. if not how long do you keep him and Mazara until they block Taveras, JP Martinez, Thompson and Gonzalez. oh and Heineman & Tocci

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Process =Patience =more development

Just want to see real progress
Patience is a necessity to remain a fan of this team or you will go crazy.

The right process is necessary for the organization and for MLB player improvement, but it has to be the right process or it is a big waste of time and talent. I think, organizationally, we have wasted a few years.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patience is a necessity to remain a fan of this team or you will go crazy.

The right process is necessary for the organization and for MLB player improvement, but it has to be the right process or it is a big waste of time and talent. I think, organizationally, we have wasted a few years.
it is also a fact that at present a lot of fans, myself included, don't believe that the Rangers and JD are really committed to the right process. because you either go all the way with the plan or stall the process and retard the team's future

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is also a fact that at present a lot of fans, myself included, don't believe that the Rangers and JD are really committed to the right process. because you either go all the way with the plan or stall the process and retard the team's future

A lot of fans also don't really understand what "the right process" is. I'm not saying I do, by any means. I'm saying that the vast majority of us have no clue. The results we want aren't there, so that means the FO must be fucking up.

In reality, building a sustainable winning team is incredibly difficult. That's why it's rare for teams to actually do it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may very well be committed to the right plan this time. They have come up with a good plan before. Hopefully, they have learned from mistakes and have the right idea now.

The biggest temptation to ditch the plan will be when this team is once again just good enough to contend for a wild card. Then we will see if the patience is still there.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may very well be committed to the right plan this time. They have come up with a good plan before. Hopefully, they have learned from mistakes and have the right idea now.

The biggest temptation to ditch the plan will be when this team is once again just good enough to contend for a wild card. Then we will see if the patience is still there.
maybe you are right about having the right plan but I am not convinced that they are committed to it as hard as they should be. I see hesitation to follow the plan to its full extent.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The average Ranger fan opinion is generally uninformed IMO. They probably don't know who many of the players are

But why would you say Rangers and JD are not committed to the right process? What do you mean by go all the way etc.....

One thing I do know is they have completely revamped pitcher development and overhauled the FO to get more 21sr century thinkers. To me processes must be revamped on a continual basis. Processes are static

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nomar is a free agent in 2022 and Profar in 2021. When we signed JPM I thought he could project on the 2020 squad at some point. Today that seems more of a long shot

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem mlb didn’t foresee with their draconian rules for acquiring amateur talent was that they now required teams to do the tankapalooza to be on the “right” process, rather than just being able to throw money at the draft and free agency.

Toronto was also fantastic about snagging a ton of comp picks before they changed to the qo rules.

I’m curious how you guys are going to go about this. Some of that talent is dangerously close to fa before you are contending again.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem mlb didn’t foresee with their draconian rules for acquiring amateur talent was that they now required teams to do the tankapalooza to be on the “right” process, rather than just being able to throw money at the draft and free agency.

Toronto was also fantastic about snagging a ton of comp picks before they changed to the qo rules.

I’m curious how you guys are going to go about this. Some of that talent is dangerously close to fa before you are contending again.

A guy like Profar and Mazara are on the bubble because our next wave some of it trickles in 2020, more 2021 and rest 2022.
Growth of our young core is crucial or we do lose the window with this young group

I don't think with current and potential future rules there won't be a successful team tank lank Cubs and Astros

Not a fan of th QO. Still th pe rich teams have an overall competitive advantage being able to buy talent. Thus Boston vs LA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t think we are shaking up IF too much. Would not be surprised if we grab a catcher and CF. Those are the best possibilities to be promoted if you have a lights out spring training.

Have to think a LHB is on the trade clock and CF who is RHB would be best

Obviously we need SP. Would be nice to get one that rivals the quality of Minor on a extended contract. Not talking Ace. And maybe another like Dutch.

If we certain players bomb out then we may be trading assets again at ASB.

Never respected the Astro route and think fielding a AAA squad in MLB should be penalized
I have heard a lot about trading a LHB, but I really don't understand why they would limit themselves when trading. What does it really hurt if they go into 2019 lefty heavy? I would trade based on who might be gone when we are ready to go to a WS again. There will be lots of opportunities to sort out the unevenness of the lineup before then. If that results in a LHB being traded then that is fine, but if it results in a RHB being traded then that is no big deal.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would consider trading one or more of those potential FA. At least see what we can get.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
move him. if not how long do you keep him and Mazara until they block Taveras, JP Martinez, Thompson and Gonzalez. oh and Heineman & Tocci

None of those guys will be ready any time soon. Having DDJ here next year doesn't slow them down at all, the year after that, a different story