• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of fans also don't really understand what "the right process" is. I'm not saying I do, by any means. I'm saying that the vast majority of us have no clue. The results we want aren't there, so that means the FO must be fucking up.

In reality, building a sustainable winning team is incredibly difficult. That's why it's rare for teams to actually do it.
The average Ranger fan opinion is generally uninformed IMO. They probably don't know who many of the players are

But why would you say Rangers and JD are not committed to the right process? What do you mean by go all the way etc.....

One thing I do know is they have completely revamped pitcher development and overhauled the FO to get more 21sr century thinkers. To me processes must be revamped on a continual basis. Processes are static
not saying they are not committed to the right plan, i'm saying that they are hesitating to fully commit to it. with them not picking up the options on Moore, Fister, M. Perez and Chirinos I see them committing to a logical course of action but to fully immerse the team into the plan they have to complete the initial step and that includes unloading a number of players like Andrus or Odor, Choo and even Mazara now and delaying only slows the final steps being implemented.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those guys will be ready any time soon. Having DDJ here next year doesn't slow them down at all, the year after that, a different story
disagree with keeping DDJ. go with Heineman and Cole and trade DDJ for whatever we can get. offensively they would be an upgrade because you can't get worse than what DDJ brings and defensively combined I think they would at least equal to him

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree with keeping DDJ. go with Heineman and Cole and trade DDJ for whatever we can get. offensively they would be an upgrade because you can't get worse than what DDJ brings and defensively combined I think they would at least equal to him

I don't think they'll even be close defensively and I don't see where the hard on for the guys comes from offensively

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heineman and Bubba Thompson bat RH. JPM is a LHB. Taveras switch hits. Jenkins bats left LH and Gonzalez and Cole bat RH.

Tejada bats LH and Seise bats RH. Ibanez, Ornelas and Davis bat RH. Our three IF prospects that played well for Spokane this year all hit RH. They are Terry, Apostel, and Arias. Tyreque Reed and Charles Leblanc bat RH.

When the best of these guys are ready we won't have a lefty heavy lineup.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot to dislike about our current situation. There is also a lot to be excited about for 2021 and beyond.

In 2021 we could break ST with a team that includes pitchers like Palumbo, Crouse, Ragans, Alexy and Phillips with guys like Cody, Winn, and White at the upper levels. We could begin the year with a lineup that includes guys like JPM, Thompson, Taveras, Apostel, Arias, and Terry with Seise being at AAA. That lineup could very well include a couple of very nice free agent acquisitions and a holdover or two like Elvis, Gallo or Profar.

In the meantime we can see what pitchers like Hernandez, Hearn and Mendez can do and what hitters like IKF, Guzman, Ibanez and Heineman can do. Some of those guys previously mentioned could start appearing during the 2020 season.

Patience, patience, patience.

Every move we make should be made with 2021 in mind.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'll even be close defensively and I don't see where the hard on for the guys comes from offensively
I guess it comes down to I'm tired of us carrying players who can't hit worth a damn. Maybe I'm wrong about Heineman and Cole but what do we have to lose by putting them out there?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot to dislike about our current situation. There is also a lot to be excited about for 2021 and beyond.

In 2021 we could break ST with a team that includes pitchers like Palumbo, Crouse, Ragans, Alexy and Phillips with guys like Cody, Winn, and White at the upper levels. We could begin the year with a lineup that includes guys like JPM, Thompson, Taveras, Apostel, Arias, and Terry with Seise being at AAA. That lineup could very well include a couple of very nice free agent acquisitions and a holdover or two like Elvis, Gallo or Profar.

In the meantime we can see what pitchers like Hernandez, Hearn and Mendez can do and what hitters like IKF, Guzman, Ibanez and Heineman can do. Some of those guys previously mentioned could start appearing during the 2020 season.

Patience, patience, patience.

Every move we make should be made with 2021 in mind.
Like everything you said. Want Hearn & Hernandez up after the All-star break or at least during callups pitching every 5 days

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it comes down to I'm tired of us carrying players who can't hit worth a damn. Maybe I'm wrong about Heineman and Cole but what do we have to lose by putting them out there?

DDJ has shown he can be a competent hitter, not sure what his problem was last year, but my guess is the wrist/hamate injury had something to do with it

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In other news

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'I'm ready for it': Elvis Andrus accepts Chris Woodward's challenge to become clubhouse leader for younger Rangers players

"When everybody had their say and the dinner started to break up, Woodward asked Andrus to stay behind.

There was more to discuss.

It is time for Andrus to step into the forefront as the clubhouse leader, advocate for the players and occasional messenger for the manager. For the first decade of Andrus' career, he's had two strong clubhouse presences to lead the way: Michael Young and Adrian Beltre. But Young is now a special assistant to the GM and Beltre may be done playing. It is going to be Andrus' team for the foreseeable future.

"I'm going to push some leadership on him," Woodward said. "He's going to be a guy I lean on heavily. We had a good talk about it. He wants that. I just wanted him to know to make sure his style is actually his style. I want his message to resonate with the younger guys."

Though it is time, this still a tricky transition for Andrus. He follows Beltre, a one-of-a-kind person. Andrus loves Beltre, but he can't emulate him. That wouldn't be authentic and, as a result, it wouldn't be effective.

"I'm ready for it; I'm more than ready to share that," Andrus said. "But my message is going to be: 'Let's work together. Let's take the right path. Let's earn everything we are going to go through.' I don't want guys to think of me like Adrian or think 'Elvis is the leader.' I want everybody to think we have to take the next step together. I will show up every day, and I will show guys the right way, but it's not about me. We need to mix everything together and grow as a team.""

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Derek Holland has ties to the area and since the Rangers are going cheap I do wonder if they will work out a deal bringing him back on a one-year deal plus an option for another year.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Derek Holland has ties to the area and since the Rangers are going cheap I do wonder if they will work out a deal bringing him back on a one-year deal plus an option for another year.

He made $1.75m last year. I definitely consider him if that's his range.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Catcher depth. Think maybe if not picked up Robbie May consider signing for a bit less hereditary

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'I'm ready for it': Elvis Andrus accepts Chris Woodward's challenge to become clubhouse leader for younger Rangers players

"When everybody had their say and the dinner started to break up, Woodward asked Andrus to stay behind.

There was more to discuss.

It is time for Andrus to step into the forefront as the clubhouse leader, advocate for the players and occasional messenger for the manager. For the first decade of Andrus' career, he's had two strong clubhouse presences to lead the way: Michael Young and Adrian Beltre. But Young is now a special assistant to the GM and Beltre may be done playing. It is going to be Andrus' team for the foreseeable future.

"I'm going to push some leadership on him," Woodward said. "He's going to be a guy I lean on heavily. We had a good talk about it. He wants that. I just wanted him to know to make sure his style is actually his style. I want his message to resonate with the younger guys."

Though it is time, this still a tricky transition for Andrus. He follows Beltre, a one-of-a-kind person. Andrus loves Beltre, but he can't emulate him. That wouldn't be authentic and, as a result, it wouldn't be effective.

"I'm ready for it; I'm more than ready to share that," Andrus said. "But my message is going to be: 'Let's work together. Let's take the right path. Let's earn everything we are going to go through.' I don't want guys to think of me like Adrian or think 'Elvis is the leader.' I want everybody to think we have to take the next step together. I will show up every day, and I will show guys the right way, but it's not about me. We need to mix everything together and grow as a team.""

Perhaps they rework a deal for Elvis during break next year if all goes well.

Sounds like Mgr thinks he is their long term guy

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps they rework a deal for Elvis during break next year if all goes well.

Sounds like Mgr thinks he is their long term guy

don't know how much of it is thinking long-term, but Elvis is definitely a veteran presence right now.