• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the IF is going to look pretty much the same this 2019 year as 2018. OF too. Got to land a rotation first and then perhaps we may see a FA/trade or two.

I'm ok with that, as long as its young guys and not expensive free agents in the lineup

We're not going anywhere without a rotation and hopefully they have some guys step up and get lucky with a free agent or two

Only place I'm willing to throw some money is the rotation, even if it is just mediocre... Would like to see Mendez or Jurado or another couple young guys take the next step next year as well

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo has stated that he hates playing 3B
I am hoping maturity will help him at the plate and with being willing to play wherever the team needs him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good AAA stats did anyone have other than Heineman and possibly Ibanez?

Morgan didn't even have good AA stats. He is pretty much a washout as a prospect. Lopes and Cole hit in the .260s.
how many of our ML players hit above .240 last season? it is time to move on and forward, to explore new options and to really start the rebuilt. how do we know what these prospects can do without trying them?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many of our ML players hit above .240 last season? it is time to move on and forward, to explore new options and to really start the rebuilt. how do we know what these prospects can do without trying them?
Who do you suggest we send down to make room for all these prospects besides DDJ?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eight hit above .240. Most of them over .250.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with that, as long as its young guys and not expensive free agents in the lineup

We're not going anywhere without a rotation and hopefully they have some guys step up and get lucky with a free agent or two

Only place I'm willing to throw some money is the rotation, even if it is just mediocre... Would like to see Mendez or Jurado or another couple young guys take the next step next year as well
I agree but what effect does bring in mediocre pitching have? who are the young guys you think could take the next step? personally I would hold at Mendez and Jurado as part-time starters/Long relievers in 2019 and sign at least 3 FA starters who are more than mediocre to 1+1 contracts

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you suggest we send down to make room for all these prospects besides DDJ?
well we have already cleared some space by out-righting Alberto, ABD, Blackburn, Mann, C. Perez and Rua plus not picking the options of Moore, M. Perez, Fister and Chirinos. that brings our 40 to 33. cut some trades( personally I would hope that we find trade partners for Choo, Deshields, 3 or 4 others and maybe even Andrus). add Heineman, Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan plus 5 rule 5 players and 2 or 3 FA starters. we wouldn't be very good but perhaps better than last year

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we have already cleared some space by out-righting Alberto, ABD, Blackburn, Mann, C. Perez and Rua plus not picking the options of Moore, M. Perez, Fister and Chirinos. that brings our 40 to 33. cut some trades( personally I would hope that we find trade partners for Choo, Deshields, 3 or 4 others and maybe even Andrus). add Heineman, Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan plus 5 rule 5 players and 2 or 3 FA starters. we wouldn't be very good but perhaps better than last year
Guess we will see in ST but I bet you won't see much change in position starters except CF, maybe and catcher. Pitching will be much more noticeable.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we will see in ST but I bet you won't see much change in position starters except CF, maybe and catcher. Pitching will be much more noticeable.
probably right but if we are going to rebuild like the Astros did then we need to clean house and start the process. every season that we delay starting the process could or will add 2 years to the final product. why not start now?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll admit, if the Astros won again this year I’d be at my all time low point in regard to interest in baseball and this team. Thank you Red Sox for that.

What’s on my mind right now, I’m very glad that the rangers only have 81 games left in their current ballpark. We don’t know how many guys we lost in free agency because of the weather and no roof / AC. I’d bet it was the reason we missed out on Cliff Lee / greinke for sure.

2 more years of Choo? Is fielder off the books? Is A-rod off the books? Does Tom Hicks still make money from a parking lot near the ball park? Did Banny leave town gracefully? Players happy to see him go?

Discuss. Please.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM Jon Daniels: 'It's a critical, but exciting time for the organization'

then JD make the decisions now and not wait

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to determine who to give a chance to and who needs further development in the minors. I am all for giving guys chances when they are ready, but you can't wish them into being ready.

Also, you simply cannot compare what guys are hitting in AAA with what other guys are hitting up here. Look at what these major league guys hit in AAA and compare that to what those prospects hit in AAA last year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of talk in the press conference about the process being more important than the results. If the results aren't good after awhile then that shows the process is not the right process. Looks like we get to hear the word "process" all year around now.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll admit, if the Astros won again this year I’d be at my all time low point in regard to interest in baseball and this team. Thank you Red Sox for that.

What’s on my mind right now, I’m very glad that the rangers only have 81 games left in their current ballpark. We don’t know how many guys we lost in free agency because of the weather and no roof / AC. I’d bet it was the reason we missed out on Cliff Lee / greinke for sure.

2 more years of Choo? Is fielder off the books? Is A-rod off the books? Does Tom Hicks still make money from a parking lot near the ball park? Did Banny leave town gracefully? Players happy to see him go?

Discuss. Please.
Personally I don't give one iota what Astros did or ever will do. Ranger baseball is all we can control.

Lee is history and not pertinent any longer but the new stadium will prevent that in the future. Choo is a Ranger for life IMO. Can't imagine anyone taking him off our hands.

Nothing we can do about A-Rod or Fielder one way or the other. Again, Rangers is all I care about that we can control.
Have not heard anything about Banister leaving except to tell you:kissass:.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to determine who to give a chance to and who needs further development in the minors. I am all for giving guys chances when they are ready, but you can't wish them into being ready.

Also, you simply cannot compare what guys are hitting in AAA with what other guys are hitting up here. Look at what these major league guys hit in AAA and compare that to what those prospects hit in AAA last year.
well we've seen what DDJ(.216), Robinson(.186), Tocci(.225), etc can do at the ML level so why not look at Heineman, Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan and see what they can bring? 2019 should be a testing period to see what we have

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we've seen what DDJ(.216), Robinson(.186), Tocci(.225), etc can do at the ML level so why not look at Heineman, Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan and see what they can bring? 2019 should be a testing period to see what we have
Got to clear ST first if they get invited.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with giving Heineman a chance. Morgan is just not very good even as a prospect. Ibanez is on the cusp so I wouldn't have a problem with him, but that would mean trading an infielder and that isn't going to happen. Cole and Lopes aren't ready. Morgan probably won't ever be ready.

I would not bring up anyone and put them on the bench.