• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also need smarter ABs. Think of all the outs Gallo has made due to the shift. Wonder if new manager goes after this.

Season retrospective. If we don't improve from within on players like Odor, Mazara and Gallo. And to a lesser extent Guzman and new pitchers brought up like Hernandez and Mendez.

Then we will have lost earlier potential window to compete as a legitimate force. If that is the case weoukd not be surprised at more midseason trades
Gallo didn't listen or ignored all the comments. He thinks he can overpower any shift which explains all the K's. To me either he needs to be traded if he doesn't learn

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo may be the only veteran presence in the locker room and he looks like he has become the mentor for Odor. I just think Calhoun needs to be a regular player this season and have not seen the blueprint for that to happen. Gallo is currently in LF minus a few starts in CF. Sure don't think they would let Gallo take CF and then late game replace him? What do you guys think? Sure sounds like we have to move someone

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo didn't listen or ignored all the comments. He thinks he can overpower any shift which explains all the K's. To me either he needs to be traded if he doesn't learn

I don't have a problem with him wanting to lift the ball. I just wish he could hit more balls away to LF. Try to go up the middle more. Might be a difference how they pitch to him

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with him wanting to lift the ball. I just wish he could hit more balls away to LF. Try to go up the middle more. Might be a difference how they pitch to him
Big difference between sluggers and good hitters. Tried pointing that out ln frame 579

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference between sluggers and good hitters. Tried pointing that out ln frame 579

True but he hits a lot of lasers into the shift. Had heard the shift had lowered his average more than maybe every hitter in the league. And yes the solution is not just lifting like he said. So to me going up the middle, more lift or not would help. Big if

Of course no contact with 2 strikes is terrible He has to change this to get to the next level.

Other thought. Despite his moaning last year about not wanting 3rd base he has played musical chairs position wise. IMO he fits best as a RF with decent speed and a rocket arm. I wish they were his regular position. Maybe Gallo could focus on hitting then.
Where that leaves Mazara is a good question but to me he profiles better as a 1B.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always for seeing a player get better but if after three years and your nick name is Mendoza it's time to go.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also need smarter ABs. Think of all the outs Gallo has made due to the shift. Wonder if new manager goes after this.

Season retrospective. If we don't improve from within on players like Odor, Mazara and Gallo. And to a lesser extent Guzman and new pitchers brought up like Hernandez and Mendez.

Then we will have lost earlier potential window to compete as a legitimate force. If that is the case weoukd not be surprised at more midseason trades
I don't think the window opens for awhile.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This 2019 should be the deciding year for Gallo. He and Choo have the same OPS but who do you want at the plate with the winning run on 2b in last inning of the WS? BA is in Choo's favor as well as OBP. Although OPS .810 is the same the answer is Choo imo. Gallo must improve or go. Mendoza hitters are not going to get us where we want to be.
They had the same OPS, but they are going in opposite directions.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but he hits a lot of lasers into the shift. Had heard the shift had lowered his average more than maybe every hitter in the league. And yes the solution is not just lifting like he said. So to me going up the middle, more lift or not would help. Big if

Of course no contact with 2 strikes is terrible He has to change this to get to the next level.

Other thought. Despite his moaning last year about not wanting 3rd base he has played musical chairs position wise. IMO he fits best as a RF with decent speed and a rocket arm. I wish they were his regular position. Maybe Gallo could focus on hitting then.
Where that leaves Mazara is a good question but to me he profiles better as a 1B.
I think we are better off as an organization if the new manager and GM decide we are better off going forward with Gallo at 3B and Profar at 2B and Odor traded.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the same OPS, but they are going in opposite directions.
That is why OPS is can fool ya. Some think a high OPS is the holy grail. I do not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why OPS is can fool ya. Some think a high OPS is the holy grail. I do not.
I like the "S" part a lot better than the "O" part. They are all just gauges, but I am not in favor of any gauge that makes walks equal to singles. Combined though, OPS is a fairly good way to measure.

Either way you slice it though, Gallo and Choo were headed in completely different directions in the last 2 months of the year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No word on the contract or $ yet. This is another head scratcher by Rangers front office
3-year contract for the new manager.

It is somewhat of a head-scratcher. They didn't seem to be able to find anyone they liked and then seemed to decide that they had to take someone.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-year contract for the new manager.

It is somewhat of a head-scratcher. They didn't seem to be able to find anyone they liked and then seemed to decide that they had to take someone.
Have to admit if FO is as good as once thought. Some how we are finding the team in deep water. Too much to fix in a short time.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are better off as an organization if the new manager and GM decide we are better off going forward with Gallo at 3B and Profar at 2B and Odor traded.

Maybe but I hate to waste Gallo arm at 3B and his size is a bit big for the spot IMO. That is why I think RF. He is agile and has a cannon. Now Odor had a pretty good defensively albeit very up and down year at the plate

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to admit if FO is as good as once thought. Some how we are finding the team in deep water. Too much to fix in a short time.

Have to think JD has room to see if he can complete a rebuild. Owners not coming back to the money table very soon. That is why I think 2020 is the year their wallets open.

Obviously the whole Bannister hire did not go down as FO and owners would have liked. Looks like there became a non buy in from the players. Banny probables me on too strong at first and had to soften IMO.

New Mgr will have to win team over to be able to move as a unit. Tough to do with team struggling as hitters and pitchers just not that talented

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but I hate to waste Gallo arm at 3B and his size is a bit big for the spot IMO. That is why I think RF. He is agile and has a cannon. Now Odor had a pretty good defensively albeit very up and down year at the plate
I get your point but too much is being made of Gallo imo. The guy can not hit. Wish he could hit more singles and doubles and raise his BA to .240 then we would really have something to crow about besides a 450 ft. HR. A 320 ft. counts the same. To much attention is given to monster HR instead of a smooth BA and RBI's. He has potential to be a very good player and needs to get his attitude adjusted.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but too much is being made of Gallo imo. The guy can not hit. Wish he could hit more singles and doubles and raise his BA to .240 then we would really have something to crow about besides a 450 ft. HR. A 320 ft. counts the same. To much attention is given to monster HR instead of a smooth BA and RBI's. He has potential to be a very good player and needs to get his attitude adjusted.
I don't care about the distance of each HR. I care about the quantity of them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think JD has room to see if he can complete a rebuild. Owners not coming back to the money table very soon. That is why I think 2020 is the year their wallets open.

Obviously the whole Bannister hire did not go down as FO and owners would have liked. Looks like there became a non buy in from the players. Banny probables me on too strong at first and had to soften IMO.

New Mgr will have to win team over to be able to move as a unit. Tough to do with team struggling as hitters and pitchers just not that talented
You can't make a diamond out of a pile of shit. Can't really understand why anyone would want become the Rangers manager with what he's going to inherit

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Choo gone and Gallo at DH and slide Calhoun into LF and Heineman into CF. Carry Hunter Cole as our extra OF'er. Trade Andrus, play Guzman at 1B, Odor at 2B, Profar at SS, IKF & Ibanez splitting time at 3B, Trevino & IKF splitting time behind the plate. Bench would be Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Choo gone and Gallo at DH and slide Calhoun into LF and Heineman into CF. Carry Hunter Cole as our extra OF'er. Trade Andrus, play Guzman at 1B, Odor at 2B, Profar at SS, IKF & Ibanez splitting time at 3B, Trevino & IKF splitting time behind the plate. Bench would be Cole, Ibanez, Lopes and Morgan
There is some merit to all that.