• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TEX @ SEA 7/25-27

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hope he is not heading to the Astros
Why? The more Houston gives up from their future to help them this year, the weaker they will be in the future when we are better.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto released lefty Derek Holland from AAA Buffalo. He'd posted a 5.53 ERA in 27.2 innings. Sad to say, Holland hasn't pitched well since 2018 with the Giants, inclusive of various minor league stints, and this could be the end. If so, he finishes with a 4.35 ERA in 1,466 MLB innings and the best World Series start in Texas's history. The gap between my first mention of him (simply listed on short-A Spokane's roster as a draft-and-follow sign) and his MLB debut was only 22 months. Not bad for the 748th pick of the 2006 draft. Seeing him and Neftali Feliz pitch on consecutive days for Frisco in 2008 was a career highlight. (For me, not them.)

Per Scott Lucas.

Best wishes regardless
Yes, indeed. One of my favorites. He should have been given another opportunity to start in the 2011 WS.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Situational hitting seems to be a lost art, everybody wants to be the hero and usually ends up being a zero...

I used to tell my guys all the time in tight games with RISP that you probably aren't going to see the pitch you want so all I ask is you drive the hell out of what you get and let the chips fall where they may...
I was taught to create pressure on the defense. Bunting can do that with 0 outs but often forgotten. If pitcher fields a bunt, he has to make the right decision and often doesn't. Things happen when action is taken and 1 run is all needed to win.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No downside, unless he comes up and starts ahead of Hearn, or Otto, Ragans. We don't need a Culberson on the mound too.

The difference in him and a lot of those starters you mentioned is that they weren't doing as badly as he was just before he was signed.
I see your point. I don't want to see the young arms blocked (though I wouldn't personally consider Hearn a viable option for the rotation at this point), but on the flip side since one of the (few) things this team has been able to (sometimes) do is revive seemingly dead pitching careers, Keuchel justifies a look. Maybe there is something with his approach that can be tweaked in order to get back to being a very good pitcher, or maybe age has done him in.
By a look, I don't mean being handed a spot in the rotation but just see how things go him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. I don't want to see the young arms blocked (though I wouldn't personally consider Hearn a viable option for the rotation at this point), but on the flip side since one of the (few) things this team has been able to (sometimes) do is revive seemingly dead pitching careers, Keuchel justifies a look. Maybe there is something with his approach that can be tweaked in order to get back to being a very good pitcher, or maybe age has done him in.
By a look, I don't mean being handed a spot in the rotation but just see how things go him.
Agree. At this point what do we have to lose? If he still has it, we'll find it and if not, nothing lost.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though I wouldn't personally consider Hearn a viable option for the rotation at this point)
Shouldn't the same things they could potentially do for Keuchel be possible to help Hearn as well?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was taught to create pressure on the defense.
That is why I will always prefer singles over walks to get on base. I think OBP is one of the most overrated stats in baseball.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't the same things they could potentially do for Keuchel be possible to help Hearn as well?
Yes but it is up to each one to respond correctly to instructions.
Let's hope they do.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Keuchel bs young arms coming up

Dallas K is a last resort meaning trade/ injury has happened and the young guys in the minors are not ready. Would hope Ragans or White would be ready but they are not now so they need work which is not all bad. Hearn too. He is in with an opener and being babied he has a good arm and needs to be protected which is fine. If we can keep some measure of success going this route without burning out the pen then ok

Obviously if the young guys are ready then they will come up. It won’t take much to be better than Dallas K but if later on we are officially deems out of the race and he can eat innings the n that is just fine.

Just think signing him and thinking he will block young guys are ready is a nonissue

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but it is up to each one to respond correctly to instructions.
Let's hope they do.
Totally different situation but Matt Carpenter was able to resurrect his career with some help albeit out of Rangers organization

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I will always prefer singles over walks to get on base. I think OBP is one of the most overrated stats in baseball.
I always liked my leadoff guy to take alot of pitches, make contact when needed HIgh OBP including walks and score the most runs on the team. Have to work the pitcher. Clean up guy totally different animal

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hearn optioned to make room for Dunning

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Dane Acker and Kyle Cody getting some game action in, out in Arizona.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think signing him and thinking he will block young guys are ready is a nonissue

But, did you think the same things at one time about Calhoun, Miller, and Culberson?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hearn optioned to make room for Dunning
Then at AAA, the line of reinforcements starts with either Hearn or Ragans and then the other one. To me Allard and Arihara are ahead of Keuchel at this point, but that is subject to change

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, did you think the same things at one time about Calhoun, Miller, and Culberson?
I knew they would play these guys at the MLB level and hope they would move as needed
I see Hernandez is not in the lineup. Surely I did not miss him being optioned

So Keuchel is a minor league pickup. Totally different animal IMO

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked my leadoff guy to take alot of pitches, make contact when needed HIgh OBP including walks and score the most runs on the team. Have to work the pitcher. Clean up guy totally different animal
I have never been a fan of taking pitches just to be taking them, whether it is the leadoff guy or anyone else in the batting order. There isn't anything more frustrating than to watch a hitter take the first pitch when it is down the middle just because it is the first pitch.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew they would play these guys at the MLB level and hope they would move as needed
I see Hernandez is not in the lineup. Surely I did not miss him being optioned

So Keuchel is a minor league pickup. Totally different animal IMO
As long as he is thought of no better than Allard or Arihara I am fine with it.

It might be better if they would go ahead and transition him to the pen now.