• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Pryor

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like noodle-arm Matt Flynn dug himself a black hole so deep that it resulted in a promotion for Terrell Pryor.

Now maybe Terrell Pryor is a very very very low end QB2. And while it may seem like a more secure move to add a Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Schaub or Rivers to fill a backup spot - what harm could it do to take a late round flyer on Pryor? Or even add him as a FA?

Hear me out.

We already know what most QB2 can do. Some look to have a better upside this season (like Bradford). But based on some of the projections, most QB2 seem more poised to just climb higher within the QB2 rankings. Very few of them seem to be challenging to actually crack into the QB1 tier.

So why not take a flyer on Pryor?

He has mobility (rushing yardage) and you know that the Raiders will be trailing in most every game and will need to throw (passing yardage).

Is this a crazy idea?

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like noodle-arm Matt Flynn dug himself a black hole so deep that it resulted in a promotion for Terrell Pryor.

Now maybe Terrell Pryor is a very very very low end QB2. And while it may seem like a more secure move to add a Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Schaub or Rivers to fill a backup spot - what harm could it do to take a late round flyer on Pryor? Or even add him as a FA?

Hear me out.

We already know what most QB2 can do. Some look to have a better upside this season (like Bradford). But based on some of the projections, most QB2 seem more poised to just climb higher within the QB2 rankings. Very few of them seem to be challenging to actually crack into the QB1 tier.

So why not take a flyer on Pryor?

He has mobility (rushing yardage) and you know that the Raiders will be trailing in most every game and will need to throw (passing yardage).

Is this a crazy idea?

Been thinking the same thing so yes, it is a crazy idea! :suds:

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya Joe.. the only thing that worries me with it, it's very plausible the TP plays himself out of the job by the time you need him.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the downside. I don't see another QB on that roster offering the same playmaking abilities. Matt Flynn is a horrible fit, and Tyler Wilson isn't a threat. Pryor hasn't looked awful throwing this preseason, and he obviously offers an elite mobility factor (to go with the fact he's enormous and hard to bring down). Their first 2 games are against Indy and Jacksonville. I'd give him a start. Odds are he's gonna get at least 2-3 total TDs IMO, so why not?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is nothing wrong with a late round flier, chances are that any player chosen will be a miss... the only problem is that you are taking a flier on a player that will never start except for the bye week, you are better off taking a flier on a WR or RB who has potential to start for more than one game...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PPR league I'm in I'm thin at QB (Dalton's my "#1" - I wasn't prepared for a couple of guys to bid up auction $ on two #1 QBs). I drafted Bernard and BJGE - think I might drop BJGE and pick up Pryor to pair with Manuel as a couple of fliers.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PPR league I'm in I'm thin at QB (Dalton's my "#1" - I wasn't prepared for a couple of guys to bid up auction $ on two #1 QBs). I drafted Bernard and BJGE - think I might drop BJGE and pick up Pryor to pair with Manuel as a couple of fliers.

I'd much rather start Pryor in week 1 over Dalton, tbh.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to be paid in cash up front in order to draft TP.

TP was good in College, the NFL decimates good college QBs

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are better off taking a flier on a WR or RB who has potential to start for more than one game...

I do agree Milk, however every one of the five leagues that I'm involved in went heavy on the RB position. So it has been picked over to the Nth degree. There may only be some RB3 or RB4 available.

So if Pryor has any fantasy relevance - since he's starting - he'll be able to show it much sooner than a RB3 or RB4 buried deep on an NFL roster. If Pryor looks awful in his first couple of games, I feel there's still enough of a window to cut him and take a chance on the RB3/RB4 in the FA pool.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree Milk, however every one of the five leagues that I'm involved in went heavy on the RB position. So it has been picked over to the Nth degree. There may only be some RB3 or RB4 available.

So if Pryor has any fantasy relevance - since he's starting - he'll be able to show it much sooner than a RB3 or RB4 buried deep on an NFL roster. If Pryor looks awful in his first couple of games, I feel there's still enough of a window to cut him and take a chance on the RB3/RB4 in the FA pool.

It is true that those late round gambles at RB at WR will probably be available through FA, but even if pryor does play well, what is his value?? nobody is going to trade for him early on this season with the depth of QB... so if he is just going to sit on your bench all season whats the point?? so even if pryor plays well he has very little value... the only way i would take a flier on him or any other low end QB is if i dont get a top 12 QB... I almost never focus a draft pick on a bye week... I only draft players that i think can become legitimate starters for me...

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody is going to trade for him early on this season with the depth of QB... so if he is just going to sit on your bench all season whats the point?? so even if pryor plays well he has very little value...

I think you're adding too many "ifs" to the equation. I'm not picking him up as trade bait. Most players that are picked up in the tail rounds end up sitting on your bench anyway (or they're the first to go when a FA starts to shine).

And with the emergence of QB's like Newton, Kaps, and Wilson (who most likely were FA), IMO there's little risk to take a chance on a guy like Pryor if he has a similar upside. Compared to the upside of a lower-tier WR or RB.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NFL decimates good college QBs

Essentially all NFL QBs ever were good college QBs. Doesn't mean much one way or the other.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My assessment of it is this -

The guy isn't gonna come in and start lighting the world on fire. If he does, I'll happily eat crow. It is just extremely unlikely. That said, and especially for DMC owners, this might be the best thing to happen.

With Matt Flynn at QB, defenses are free to load the box. #1, his arm looks like shit and he doesn't have much to work with at TE/WR. #2, his versatility is extremely limited.

When you plug in a guy like Pryor, defenses have to scheme completely different. They will almost always have to have a spy, because Pryor is very fast and can easily rip off huge chunks of yardage if he's left unattended to. That means when you have a spy, you have 1 guy who isn't keyed in on DMC. When they have to be worried about TP, it can only mean good things for DMC. Given the lack of quality receiving threats and the bad OL, this means Pryor is likely to be dumping it off on a check down more often than others. Advantage DMC.

From an organizational standpoint, this isn't a playoff team and they're as sure a bet as any team in the NFL to have a top 5 pick next year, so instead of immediately defaulting to whether we want Boyd, Bridgewater or Manziel, give Pryor a chance. You know what you have in Flynn. The dude is not a starting-caliber QB. However, Pryor offers tremendous upside with continued work on his mechanics. His athleticism is ultra-elite at the QB position, and the guy just turned 24 this offseason. He also has a sparkling injury history. If I'm Oakland, he is my starter this year barring a complete and total meltdown and lack of scoring. They have nothing at all to lose going with this approach. They've been a shitty team now for years, and he's exactly the kind of wildcard they need to shake things up.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're adding too many "ifs" to the equation. I'm not picking him up as trade bait. Most players that are picked up in the tail rounds end up sitting on your bench anyway (or they're the first to go when a FA starts to shine).

And with the emergence of QB's like Newton, Kaps, and Wilson (who most likely were FA), IMO there's little risk to take a chance on a guy like Pryor if he has a similar upside. Compared to the upside of a lower-tier WR or RB.

My point is that in a one QB league(which most of us play in), you would not start him over the top 12 QBs(until someone gets hurt,underpreforms) unless he becomes one of those top 12 QBs... Anyone drafting 2 QBs is wasting a roster space unless they dont have faith in there number one... getting a player to play for one week is foolish. QB is too deep this season to take the gamble... I would rather draft the low end sleepers at RB, WR and TE than touch a low end QB...

What is Pryor's best case scenario?? the 10th best QB??

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're stuck playing matchups at QB (which really shouldn't happen this year, and I'm surprised that of all people I'm in that position in one league), he has more roster value.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that in a one QB league(which most of us play in), you would not start him over the top 12 QBs(until someone gets hurt,underpreforms) unless he becomes one of those top 12 QBs... Anyone drafting 2 QBs is wasting a roster space unless they dont have faith in there number one... getting a player to play for one week is foolish. QB is too deep this season to take the gamble... I would rather draft the low end sleepers at RB, WR and TE than touch a low end QB...

What is Pryor's best case scenario?? the 10th best QB??

you put a lot of faith into just being able to grab whoever off the wire during your QB's bye, or worst case, an injury don't ya? I'd much rather have a locked in #2 in case of injury or at minimum so I'm not deciding between Ponder or Gabbart on my #1's bye week.

None of that means I'd take a flier on Pryor as my #2, as I'm sure he'd be one of those available to make a choice on..but, I can at least see the potential for him to not be there if he does have a few good games out of the gate, so if your interested in the next potential big thing, dual threat QB..why not?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you put a lot of faith into just being able to grab whoever off the wire during your QB's bye, or worst case, an injury don't ya? I'd much rather have a locked in #2 in case of injury or at minimum so I'm not deciding between Ponder or Gabbart on my #1's bye week.

None of that means I'd take a flier on Pryor as my #2, as I'm sure he'd be one of those available to make a choice on..but, I can at least see the potential for him to not be there if he does have a few good games out of the gate, so if your interested in the next potential big thing, dual threat QB..why not?

I am not saying not to get him on your team, i am just saying not to draft him... Every team should have at least one player to drop after the draft... but why potentially maximize the amount of mistakes made on draft day...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying not to get him on your team, i am just saying not to draft him... Every team should have at least one player to drop after the draft... but why potentially maximize the amount of mistakes made on draft day...

In an effort to potentially minimize the chances of someone else getting the benefit of finding the diamonds in the rough..basic risk/reward.
Many would have said the same thing about drafting Russel Wilson or Kaepernick last year..but, had you drafted them, you would've prevented the team who eventually picked them up from having either of them in the lineup when you played them in week 12 hoping for a playoff birth..things like that..
Are those situations rare? Yes, no doubts about it, but it's those rare "hits" that can lock up a season, or possibly turn one around. Never a guarantee that you'll be in line to grab "the next big thing" on the wire, but stashing them on draft day, while risky, is a sure thing. Just depends on how big of a gambler you are, and how much you believe in your own evaluation abilities

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's ironic that you mention this, Milk, because what happened in one of my drafts is exactly what sparked my thoughts towards Pryor (i.e. this thread).

It's a 12-team IDP, PPR, league with one keeper (drafted after round 5). There were 3 QB keepers. Five QB were drfted in the first 3 rounds, and by the end of round 5, these 12 QB were off the board: (in no particular order) Romo, Peyton, RG3, Rodgers, Brady, Newton, Brees, Ryan, Kaps, Wilson, Luck, Stafford.

In the meantime I was busy drafting Martin, Chris Johnson, Miller, Bowe and Gronk. QB pickings were very slim in round 6 so I grabbed Eli as my QB1. (I have Eli as my QB2 in other leagues.) Yikes!

The next few rounds went to building the skill player depth and then drafting IDP last. (We have no kickers or D/ST.)

Now I happen to like my team. Others may not and I don't care. But by the time I was done, I was so disappointed with the remaining QB on the board (Rivers, Freeman, Smith, Weeden, etc.) that I decided to draft Crabtree with my final pick.

Since I can move Crabtree to IR (and a potential keeper for next season), that still gives me an open spot for a QB2. And I like the upside/unknown of Pryor.