• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New IR Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After speaking to the league it appears the majority are in favor of this.

Here is the new rule change...

We will now add one Injured Reserve spot to your lineup.

What this means?

You can only have one player on IR
If you place a player on IR, you can not activate that player for 5 games. They are not eligible to be activated off IR until they sit out the 5 games. Thus you're going to want to use this for a player who is going to miss most of the year or the rest of the year.
Player on IR remains keeper eligible if you drafted them. (ONLY if you drafted them like our normal rule)
You can release a player off IR and place another player on IR (but you can only have one player on IR)

I am going to give some examples.

WR BJ Pivonka, Ithca College (Breaks his collarbone, expected to miss 6-8 weeks) You can place BJ on IR and sign another player, thus BJ is protected on your roster. However, say Navin Johnson sprains his MCL and is expected to be out 4-6 weeks. You maybe release BJ off IR before his 5 weeks is up but he then goes back into the waiver pool. You can re-claim BJ when he is healthy but he is no longer keeper eligible since you released him.

Another example

Scott Kennedy tears his ACL. Out for the season. I place him on IR to protect him as a potential keeper.. Sign someone else... Jon Blaze tears his ACL. I can release Scott and place Jon on IR.

Players placed on IR must have a creditable source to say they are out such and such amount of time. If Joe Blow pulls a hammy and you aren't using him anyway you can't just put him on IR with a week to week injury... and remember the player automatically missed 5 weeks if he goes on IR so if you place someone on IR that is projected to miss 4-7 weeks and he comes back early you couldn't use him until the 5 weeks is up.

With college not having an actual IR designation like the NFL does this won't be as easy as it sounds but I think we can give it a try? I think we start small and tweak next year if we want to.

Players Eligible would be.

Players who have an active report that they are out 4 plus weeks. You can't just use the IR spot for someone who is going to miss a week or two with a hamstring injury (week to week injury) this would be more for breaks and tears.

Does this seem like it would be legit to do and tweak for next year if needed?

I guess as the commish I would be the one responsible to saying who IR eligible but it is going to be pretty well common sense. Guys who are reported with a creditable and multiple source of being out for an extended period of time.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all in all this shouldn't be too big of a deal to anyone and we may have to tweak as we implement this.

I just don't want people using the IR spot for week to week injuries. That isn't what it is meant for one. Claim someone, put someone who is out 2-3 weeks on IR etc.

It is more meant for publicized long term injuries. We can tweak as we get it down. It shouldn't be a big deal.

If it is too complicated then we will axe the rule. How about a test run this year with what I proposed above?

I just think for some it sucks when you have to keeper a potential keeper on your roster all year not knowing if you will need that player for a keeper option, etc.

With all the new portal stuff going on I just think an IR spot helps from a possible keeper standpoint and not having to store them on your roster all year if injured. I don't know. I don't want to regulate this to just SEASON ENDING injuries too because some injuries you don't know if they are season ending or not. So I would want to use common sense on known long term injuries being eligible for IR.

Example. Last year Antoine Greene break his collarbone in camp. Out 6-8 weeks. He would be IR eligible. TreVonte Citizen tears his ACL... IR eligible.

Jaxon Smith-Njiba pulls a hamstring and is week to week. Even though he misses multiple weeks it is unfortunate but he wouldn't be IR eligible. If he tears his hamstring and it said to be out 6-8 weeks then he would be IR eligible.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another side note. I think mabye this makes sense in the above post but just to be clear.

But If I have BJ Pivonka on IR my options with him are. I can still CUT him before his 5 weeks is up to place someone else on IR but BJ then goes into the waiver process or I can keep him on IR and activate him anytime after his 5 weeks is up.

I guess for the most part this should be pretty easy but I don't want to confuse anyone so please ask questions as we go through this the first year.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only tricky thing with this is that college doesn't have an official injury list they are required to report to like NFL. We've all had scenarios where a guy was injured for multiple weeks with very little information or disclosure

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only tricky thing with this is that college doesn't have an official injury list they are required to report to like NFL. We've all had scenarios where a guy was injured for multiple weeks with very little information or disclosure

Yup. That is why it would have to be a creditable source. Saying they are out long term. It will be tricky there will be some players that will end up qualifying that probably won't be able to go on it because we don't know but it is just one IR spot. I think with it just being one it shouldn't be that bad.

If BJ Pivonka is out 6 weeks with a creditable source then so be it. If nobody knows then I guess we can't put that go on IR.

The key is you can't activate the player until he misses 5 weeks when you do place him on IR.
So if a guy is out 3-5 weeks I think he would be eligible for IR but if you use your IR spot on him you're risking losing him for the full 5 weeks when you could have him for 3. You can cut him off IR but you can't activate him off IR onto your roster.

I hope this isn't too confusing. We can axe it all together if people think it seems silly. Talking to people it seemed like what they wanted to do though.

We won't be able to place week to week injury guys on IR... Guys from creditable sources who are out up to 5 weeks would be the eligible guys and if they come back sooner then 5 weeks and you have already placed him on IR then that is the chance you would take. That is sorta the key here. You get one person on IR and IR is automatic 5 weeks out in our league unless he is cut off your roster and subject through waivers again.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is easier to just use the 1 IR spot for someone and make it so they are no longer eligible at all to come off that IR spot then we can do that too.

You can cut the player off IR to place another guy on IR that you may want to protect but if you do that you can't re-sign him but another team can?

I don't know. I don't want to make this complicated.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give it a shot. If it sucks we change. Honestly I've never had issues with bench spots. Our rosters are plenty big enough imo

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give it a shot. If it sucks we change. Honestly I've never had issues with bench spots. Our rosters are plenty big enough imo

Agree and agree.

Bench spots shouldn't be too much of an issue. This is really meant to save a spot for a long term injury really.

I think we can just go with the first option. Creditable source out up to 5 weeks per source. If you IR them, you can't activate them for 5 weeks. This will really push people to only use it for long term injuries. With all of the communication in this thread I will sum it up later so it is a little more easy to understand. We can try it. It should be fairly easy and not much to it. If it sucks we will get rid of it or tweak it. Only one way to find out.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if said IR player returns in 3 weeks, still must stay out the whole 5?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if said IR player returns in 3 weeks, still must stay out the whole 5?

I think so. I think the IR spot is intended for people who are going to be out long term. So if you place a guy on IR who is said to be out 3-5 week then you risk that.

I think in this case if you have a guy who has a report of out 3-5 weeks you don't use your IR spot on him. If you have a guy who is out 6-8 weeks then you use it. You can't have two people on IR but can release someone to place someone else on IR and use that roster spot for someone else on the active roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.