• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Surging Rangers hosting the Chicago White Sox

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what ifs in that scenario, Harrison's back, Perez's elbow and Holland's shoulder, nothing is guaranteed in their returns this season, Perez might not give us much of anything this year, Holland I'm semi-confident in him returning, but we've heard this song and dance from Harrison before, I'm ok with DFAing a Freeman for him but not trading a Gallardo[/QUOTE]

agree with everything you posted. i have zero faith in Harrison ever being effective enough to get back and i don't expect either Holland and Perez back until late in the season and long after the trade deadline

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what ifs in that scenario, Harrison's back, Perez's elbow and Holland's shoulder, nothing is guaranteed in their returns this season, Perez might not give us much of anything this year, Holland I'm semi-confident in him returning, but we've heard this song and dance from Harrison before, I'm ok with DFAing a Freeman for him but not trading a Gallardo

If all three of them come back then what is your 5 man rotation? Who gets moved to the pen, demoted, traded, or released?

Harrison looks like he will be the first guy back so he wouldn't be the guy who might tempt them to trade Gallardo. That would probably be Holland who looks to be the third one to come back. I guess they could jetison Colby, but I think they view him as the pitching version of Beltre as far as clubhouse leadership goes.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all three of them come back then what is your 5 man rotation? Who gets moved to the pen, demoted, traded, or released?

Harrison looks like he will be the first guy back so he wouldn't be the guy who might tempt them to trade Gallardo. That would probably be Holland who looks to be the third one to come back. I guess they could jetison Colby, but I think they view him as the pitching version of Beltre as far as clubhouse leadership goes.

It's kind of irrelevant until they prove they are back and effectively pitching

If the team proves themselves incapable of remaining competitive, they ship them out ASAP, but if they continue playing relatively well, then I say hold on to whoever is pitching well.... regardless of who MIGHT be coming back, deal with that when it gets here, its a long season

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the team proves themselves incapable of remaining competitive, they ship them out ASAP, but if they continue playing relatively well, then I say hold on to whoever is pitching well.... regardless of who MIGHT be coming back, deal with that when it gets here, its a long season
I never understand the reluctance to discuss what ifs. Of course it is irrelevant. All of our discussions are irrelevant when you really think about it. Even when we discuss things that have already happened our opinions don't hold any real relevance.

To each his own I guess.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see if there is a market for Gallardo to begin with. Are there any fringe teams who are in desperate need of a starter? I like Yovani, and he's performed admirably, but I'm not sure if he's a difference maker between a team getting to or going far in the playoffs, and that's generally the market for starters at the trade deadline.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

There is a plan. Decisions made as regards to the roster moves when the SPs start being ready to be activated will be within the context of a strategic plan. Who brings us longer greater value by being on the 40man? Who falls below the line and isn't in the 2016 - 17 plan?

When a guy is ready for activation off the 60Day DL will be almost like he's a midseason acquisition. They can kick the can down the road by delaying rehab or returning someone to the DL if they are not up to prime ... but rest assured there is a plan in a locked drawer in JD's desk.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see if there is a market for Gallardo to begin with. Are there any fringe teams who are in desperate need of a starter? I like Yovani, and he's performed admirably, but I'm not sure if he's a difference maker between a team getting to or going far in the playoffs, and that's generally the market for starters at the trade deadline.
I think there are usually a few teams looking for starters by deadline time. We were looking several years when we were in contention.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a plan. Decisions made as regards to the roster moves when the SPs start being ready to be activated will be within the context of a strategic plan. Who brings us longer greater value by being on the 40man? Who falls below the line and isn't in the 2016 - 17 plan?

When a guy is ready for activation off the 60Day DL will be almost like he's a midseason acquisition. They can kick the can down the road by delaying rehab or returning someone to the DL if they are not up to prime ... but rest assured there is a plan in a locked drawer in JD's desk.
Yes, Banister said yesterday that they have Armageddon discussions all the time and I am sure they have these type of discussions all the time as well.

I would think the guys on one year contracts are prime targets to trade if they feel they have too many options for that position.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Banister said yesterday that they have Armageddon discussions all the time and I am sure they have these type of discussions all the time as well.

I would think the guys on one year contracts are prime targets to trade if they feel they have too many options for that position.

They are if there are options to replace them if they are in contention, or the team isn't in contention, we probably have until the beginning of July to make decisions on Holland or Perez anyway, with rehab assignments figured in and all,

Trade deadline is July 31st, I would tap the brakes on any trade talk til either 1) some of these guys are healthy and effective or 2) we're out of any sort of contention,

if we lose 10 out of 12 at some point soon, them I'm all in favor starting the trade conversations early

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are if there are options to replace them if they are in contention, or the team isn't in contention, we probably have until the beginning of July to make decisions on Holland or Perez anyway, with rehab assignments figured in and all,

Trade deadline is July 31st, I would tap the brakes on any trade talk til either 1) some of these guys are healthy and effective or 2) we're out of any sort of contention,

if we lose 10 out of 12 at some point soon, them I'm all in favor starting the trade conversations early

I wasn't suggesting making any trades now. That very rarely happens in baseball. I am talking about deals done between the break and the deadline. The conversations at this point are simply amongst us. Even if we lose the next 15 games in row a trade won't be made until sometime in July. We, on the other hand, are free to discuss trade scenarios at any time because that is what fans do.

There is always the possibility that Holland is ready to go in late July with Harrison and Perez already on the team and pitching well enough. That is when they could be tempted to trade Gallardo unless he just goes nuts between now and then.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detwiler should be expendable. I don't want to see that guy on the team anymore. He's one of the main reasons April sucked so bad for this team.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't suggesting making any trades now. That very rarely happens in baseball. I am talking about deals done between the break and the deadline. The conversations at this point are simply amongst us. Even if we lose the next 15 games in row a trade won't be made until sometime in July. We, on the other hand, are free to discuss trade scenarios at any time because that is what fans do.

There is always the possibility that Holland is ready to go in late July with Harrison and Perez already on the team and pitching well enough. That is when they could be tempted to trade Gallardo unless he just goes nuts between now and then.

If Gallardo is going nuts and we are contending, wouldn't that fly in the face of what you said about keeping the 5 best options?

I don't see the point in discussing trade scenarios b/c thats such a long way out, once again, a lot can happen

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detwiler should be expendable. I don't want to see that guy on the team anymore. He's one of the main reasons April sucked so bad for this team.

Detwiler was very effective the first time through the order. We need a quality lefty in the pen. Ross>Freeman.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gallardo is going nuts and we are contending, wouldn't that fly in the face of what you said about keeping the 5 best options?

I don't see the point in discussing trade scenarios b/c thats such a long way out, once again, a lot can happen

Exactly. Too any variables still in play to have a truce intelligent discussion about who to trade and when.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Gallardo could get hot and we play well
2) Gallardo could get hot and we suck
3) Gallardo could go cold and we suck
4) Gallardo could go cold we still play well (not likely)
5) Gallardo could get hurt

That's just scenarios involving Gallardo directly

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suspect Chi Chi holds down the 'guest' spot in the rotation until Harrison is activated and Gonzalez then is optioned back to Round Rock. Holland and Perez will be timed to return at or just prior to the deadline and notionally will take Rodriguez and Gallardo spots when they are traded.

If the decision is made to hold onto Gallardo for some reason ... then Nick Martinez' spot would be in jeopardy.

If Harrison, Holland or Perez don't make it back up or stay up ... then Chi Chi would return. There is no projected activation for Tepesch and since he was not on the 25man when he went on the DL he can be activated and assigned to Round Rock in any case. He might be the backup to Chi Chi along with Ranaudo, Eickhoff and Wolf.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Worst thing that can happen for TEX is to be amongst five teams competing for the two AL WC spots. If Gallardo is pitching lights out ... then I still contend that between Holland, Harrison and Perez one of them will be equally effective and the trade prospects for a hot Gallardo back in the NL would be the better move ... with the decision to be made then of course.

Until then ... I would make sure to have the best lineup behind Gallardo and Rodriquez every single time they go out to keep their market price as high as it can be.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a weird sentence to read considering all of 2014 and April of 2015.

It sounds weird at first glance, but if you think about it, it's pretty accurate with regards to which roster moves are to be made.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Houston could use him for the back of their rotation, Hernandez sucked again yesterday. Who knows if we would send him their way though?