• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler fans is this believed to be true?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of this can be contributed to playing for Tomlin?
He's old school like BB and a couple others. This new generation doesn't like that. It's ok for a little while or as long as you're competing year in and year out.

These kids like the rah rah Andy Ried and Pete Carroll types. Let the inmates run the asylum.

Tomlin old school? His downside is that was the same age as some players and too buddy with them, a players coach

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin old school? His downside is that was the same age as some players and too buddy with them, a players coach
I think of him more dictator than players coach. He's not Coughlin but not a Carroll in my book.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many SB's has Wentz won for the Eagles....I can wait.

That came out of left field? What does Wentz winning or not winning a SB have to do with the Steelers being cheap? It’s their strategy to not give out obscene contracts. I wouldn’t call it cheap... just a strategy.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to do that they should just trade JuJu now and get something for him. Dudes a 23 year old and already has been to a pro bowl. I bet someone like the packers would give a first plus plus for him.
This was actually a topic on the sports radio shows before the draft, specially for one of the 49ers picks.

Now? No way they'd do it. Might be different if they were rebuilding but they're going all in on this year and there's nothing they'd get back that would be of greater value for this season.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That came out of left field? What does Wentz winning or not winning a SB have to do with the Steelers being cheap? It’s their strategy to not give out obscene contracts. I wouldn’t call it cheap... just a strategy.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of him more dictator than players coach. He's not Coughlin but not a Carroll in my book.

Tomlin? ok

Tomlin: Context of 'players' coach' bugs him

Kovacevic: Why Mike Tomlin being a 'players' coach' actually is a positive

Another quote

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com
Mike Tomlin went from "winning with Bill Cowher's players" to becoming a "cheerleader coach" to today - keeping a Steelers team that's dealt with more than any other in the NFL alive with a 8-5 record. In a season that shouldn't be, Mike Tomlin has lead a group of players many waived off to a chance at a playoff birth.Dec 11, 2019

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,121.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They overpaid Wentz. And you are saying Pitt is cheap.

Ironic.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was actually a topic on the sports radio shows before the draft, specially for one of the 49ers picks.

Now? No way they'd do it. Might be different if they were rebuilding but they're going all in on this year and there's nothing they'd get back that would be of greater value for this season.

While I think there is definitely value to be had, you are right that no greater value would be for this season. It is surprising (maybe not totally for them) that if this is true they wouldnt negociate with juju past this year.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They overpaid Wentz. And you are saying Pitt is cheap.

Ironic.

How is that irony? They didn’t over pay Wentz at all. It was a very good deal at market rate with outs. I didn’t say Pittsburgh was cheap either.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I think there is definitely value to be had, you are right that no greater value would be for this season. It is surprising (maybe not totally for them) that if this is true they wouldnt negociate with juju past this year.
I still don't know how much I buy it. If he has another year like last then yeah he's gone but their recent history suggests they'd just tag him if he has a season like his first two. Even if Washington/Johnson/Claypool all have good years it would be pretty surprising not to bring a guy like that back on the tag for Ben's last year in 2021.

Bouchette's been around forever so I am not one to question his sourcing but he's been notoriously pessimistic in saying they won't sign guys they ultimately do. Maybe because there's so much uncertainty around how he'll do this year?

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many SB's has Wentz won for the Eagles....I can wait.
do you want the answer as of so far or ever?
because I can answer both with a word.

NONE! (hope you didnt wait too long)

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,121.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that irony? They didn’t over pay Wentz at all. It was a very good deal at market rate with outs. I didn’t say Pittsburgh was cheap either.
Sorry....got Philly fans mixed up.

Eaglesnut was the intended target.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,121.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you want the answer as of so far or ever?
because I can answer both with a word.

NONE! (hope you didnt wait too long)
Probably the same amount Dak will ever get in Dallas.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the same amount Dak will ever get in Dallas.
Quite possible.

but if Daks team does make it at least he will be healthy enough to start for them.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they arent. They're notorious for not getting in to bidding wars with other teams and keeping a low profile during free agency. Doesnt make them "cheap", dumbass
Yeah I mean I'm trying to think of their own players who they've re-signed to big deals and it ended up completely backfiring. LaMarr Woodley is the first to come to mind but even then he was really productive on his rookie deal and first of his new one so I hardly blame them for wanting to keep him. On the flip side who in the Colbert-era ended getting big money and was worth their salt elsewhere? All I'm coming up with is Burress and Sanders. There's definitely mid-tier guys who had nice careers elsewhere but they've generally been able to replace them.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
conner is gone juju, mehh the way theyve brought in young wr's , maybe

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin? ok

Tomlin: Context of 'players' coach' bugs him

Kovacevic: Why Mike Tomlin being a 'players' coach' actually is a positive

Another quote

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com
Mike Tomlin went from "winning with Bill Cowher's players" to becoming a "cheerleader coach" to today - keeping a Steelers team that's dealt with more than any other in the NFL alive with a 8-5 record. In a season that shouldn't be, Mike Tomlin has lead a group of players many waived off to a chance at a playoff birth.Dec 11, 2019

I'm not disagreeing with what the pundits say. To me his on field appearance, demeanor and talk just don't scream rah rah to me.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't know how much I buy it. If he has another year like last then yeah he's gone but their recent history suggests they'd just tag him if he has a season like his first two. Even if Washington/Johnson/Claypool all have good years it would be pretty surprising not to bring a guy like that back on the tag for Ben's last year in 2021.

Bouchette's been around forever so I am not one to question his sourcing but he's been notoriously pessimistic in saying they won't sign guys they ultimately do. Maybe because there's so much uncertainty around how he'll do this year?

I too question it’s validity. Juju had a down year last year but I put a lot of that on not having Ben in there. I guess time will tell.