• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Season

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sorry, but i can't stand when people throw this question out there like it's some sort of trump card. not trying to pick on you in particular, terry, but i've seen this irrelevant question posted a million times, both here and at other websites. I can give you a laundry list of folks that i'd consider worthy, and ultimately, it's not going to satisfy you, or at best, you'll nitpick whomever i nominate. i don't work for the Steelers, i don't work in their front office, i'm not part of the ownership group. But, i'd imagine that, being part of a successful enterprise as they are, they prrrrrobably have their methods and means to satisfy the process of searching for, finding, and hiring a coach and coaching staff. so for all we know, there could be someone out there that nobody in the WORLD has even considered yet (similar to tomlin before he was on the steelers radar when cowher left some 12 years ago), that might be on the steelers (or another team's) radar, someone that has the chops, the personality, charisma, organizational skills, the motivational skills, etc etc, to not just do an adequate job, but do a very good job, if not an excellent job. look, i'm of the belief that even the BEST coaches wear out their welcome, eventually. things get stagnant, the message becomes stagnant, essentially being a head coach in pro football is one of the best "part-time" jobs ever, because even if you last 8-10 years, it's not really that long of a period, in the grand scheme of things. the trick is knowing when it's time to move on, before the culture of your team becomes such that you're constantly trying to crawl out of the abyss of mediocrity or, worse, the hellhole to which substandard football teams reside within. i simply think it's time to move on, and i am willing to put faith in art rooney jr., his ownership partners, kevin colbert if he has a part in the process, to go out there and find a great candidate that will have this team trending upward again for at least the next half decade to decade.

having said all that, one guy in particular i've been really keen on, at least the last 2-3 years, is Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski. I like the way he call plays, I like how he believes in a strong running game and use of the tight end, and the handful of times i've seen him speak, he seems like a guy who is very straightforward, someone who can convey his message in a practical manner and someone who'd appreciate the challenge of being the head coach of a franchise with a proud and storied heritage.

No worries, man. Not taking it personally. I legit want to know who people want as our head coach if it's not Tomlin. IDK if this forum remembers but I was on the Fire Tomlin bandwagon after 2017 and then again last year. But seeing what he was able to do with the little he was given this year due to injuries, I believe this is a freebie season for Tomlin. But I've seen some good names mentioned as a replacement. 49ers DC Rob Saleh is a good name, I think. I'm very hesitant to throw a college coach in here straight from college but I would entertain the idea of Lincoln Riley as well. I just don't see any good names out there that would make me either excited or confident in next year.

Kevin Stefanski is a good name as well. Seeing what the Vikings offense has been with a healthy Dalvin Cook, all that talent at the WR position and a very talented TE. Cousins didn't have the statistical year he usually has but that offense was kicking all year long. I mean, shit, what he was able to do with Case Keenum as their QB was amazing. No one believed Case Keenum could've taken a team to the playoffs, let alone an NFC title game.

A name outside of the box, very outside the box, that I have been thinking about would be Tampa Bay OC Byron Leftwich. That offense was on fire this year, outside Winston who I believe is NO ONE's fault but Winston's that he is as bad as he is. As the OC for Arizona, he wasn't the best but I believe he didn't have the talent that he has in Tampa. Better WR corps, slightly better QB (not saying much) and a healthy RB. Imagine him with Ben, Conner, JuJu, Vance, Washington and, not to mention, this iron defense that we have. I would like to see what he does next year as the OC before going full in on him to be the head coach, but I did like what I saw out of that offense this year and there's no coincidence that he comes on board, and that offense goes from 12th in 2018 and 18th in 2016 and 2017, to the 3rd ranked offense in the league.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with MOST people who say this is they never provide a replacement option. Who, in your opinion, is the best fit to coach us or who would you most like to see as the next Steelers coach?
Did anyone know who the hell Mike Tomlin was before he was hired?

Point is... There are lots of people out there that are worthy of the job. The trick is, making sure that a good nucleus is in place so that they are not setting the new coach up for failure. That job falls on the GM.

Last edited:

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone know who the hell Mike Tomlin was before he was hired?

Point is... There are lots of people out there that are worthy of the job. The trick is, making sure that a good nucleus is in place so that they are not setting the new coach up for failure. That job falls on the GM.

I don't want to go New York Giants with this hire and hire some random WR coach. I don't think that's the right move, but you're right. I don't think Tomlin was on anyone's list before we hired him.

But, he was part of that Bucs Super Bowl team in 2002 though and when he was with the Vikings in 06, the defense was 14th and the best defense against the run that year. Unfortunately, the QB that year was Tavaris Jackson so nothing really came of that team. But he had a clear path of success before we hired him, including being part of a Super Bowl winning coaching staff so it's not like he didn't have any accolades to follow him from Tampa Bay to Minnesota to Pittsburgh.