• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Season

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Dobbs. But things always seem to work for the Steelers. And I see no reason for that to change.

I miss the 80's & up to '95 when this was a good rivalry.The bar I hung at the owner would set up a bus trip for the Browns game at Three Rivers. Those were some fun times.
It was good and this year was fun to watch the games. What is killing the Browns is Kitchens, and why do I have a feeling McCarthy will get the job next. Especially if they keep that offense together with OBJ and Jones.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good and this year was fun to watch the games. What is killing the Browns is Kitchens, and why do I have a feeling McCarthy will get the job next. Especially if they keep that offense together with OBJ and Jones.

I'm not a fan of Freddie. Funny you'd mention McCarthy because he's the coach I wanted in the first place. This team lacks serious disipline, just look at all the penalities. And Freddie doesn't have a resume that can get the respect of the veteran players.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of Freddie. Funny you'd mention McCarthy because he's the coach I wanted in the first place. This team lacks serious disipline, just look at all the penalities. And Freddie doesn't have a resume that can get the respect of the veteran players.
Yeah the Browns need that coach like McCarthy or even Williams that will keep the team together.
Also they need to make sure Mayfield focuses on football this offseason and not all the commercials. :suds:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Browns need that coach like McCarthy or even Williams that will keep the team together.
Also they need to make sure Mayfield focuses on football this offseason and not all the commercials. :suds:

Great point on where Mayfield's focus needs to be this off season. And OBJ needs to be part of all the OTA's/practices/preseason for next year. He missed all of that this year.

Mayfield though. Damn is he a jackass. But since he's the QB of my team I have to tolerate him. Not sure his sophomore slump is entirely his fault though.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point on where Mayfield's focus needs to be this off season. And OBJ needs to be part of all the OTA's/practices/preseason for next year. He missed all of that this year.

Mayfield though. Damn is he a jackass. But since he's the QB of my team I have to tolerate him. Not sure his sophomore slump is entirely his fault though.
No I don't think it was either. There was too much hype around the fact he would have two world class WR's so it should be easy for him and the coaches let that get to his head.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Tomlin might be a good coach for a team looking to go from terrible to mediocre. However, he's not good at taking a very good team to the top. Always did less with more over the years. Give him a situation with less pressure and expectations.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tomlin is mediocre. Always doing less with more. They didn't beat 1 single team this year going to the playoffs and had their typical Tomlin specials against the awful Browns and Jets. Win those games and they are in.

Now they are laying an egg against the Ravens backups. What a joke.

I have said it for years. They will never win another Super Bowl with this clown at the helm. Bradshaw was right -- CHEERLEADER!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those wanting Tomlin gone/saying he's mediocre, who would you mark as the next HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

I'm curious to see because the only three names I've seen come out of Steeler groups I'm a part of are Jason Garrett, Mike McCarthy and Lincoln Riley. I say a huge fuck no to Garrett and McCarthy. I'm on the fence on Riley, I am very very hesitant to say a college coach is a good fit for an NFL job just because of how different the two are and the history of college coaches and their lack of success in the NFL. Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Chip Kelly just to name a few.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin is mediocre. Always doing less with more. They didn't beat 1 single team this year going to the playoffs and had their typical Tomlin specials against the awful Browns and Jets. Win those games and they are in.

Now they are laying an egg against the Ravens backups. What a joke.

I have said it for years. They will never win another Super Bowl with this clown at the helm. Bradshaw was right -- CHEERLEADER!

Maybe you're right, they might not win another SB with Tomlin, I don't think too many people in here would disagree with you...but this is the wrong year to kick dirt on Tomlin.

I'm not sure what you were expecting had they got in, but clearly TN is a far better 6th seed than this team would've been.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those wanting Tomlin gone/saying he's mediocre, who would you mark as the next HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

I'm curious to see because the only three names I've seen come out of Steeler groups I'm a part of are Jason Garrett, Mike McCarthy and Lincoln Riley. I say a huge fuck no to Garrett and McCarthy. I'm on the fence on Riley, I am very very hesitant to say a college coach is a good fit for an NFL job just because of how different the two are and the history of college coaches and their lack of success in the NFL. Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Chip Kelly just to name a few.

Regardless of what we think...pro or con...Replacing Tomlin talk is a waste of time right now.

In Steeler Nation, we've seen the best and worst of Tomlin...and we have our opinions, on the national level, this 8-8 record is looked at as one of the best coaching jobs of the 2019 season and it is...he's signed until 2021 I think, he's going to be here until 2021.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Rudolph isn't worried about his 2019 season. He just had 6 quarters of bad play. He's fine. Wow is he a super douche.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe you're right, they might not win another SB with Tomlin, I don't think too many people in here would disagree with you...but this is the wrong year to kick dirt on Tomlin.

I'm not sure what you were expecting had they got in, but clearly TN is a far better 6th seed than this team would've been.

Oh I agree he's not going anywhere and I didn't expect anything had they gotten into the playoffs. Much like the last 10 years. Season on the line vs backups and they gave up.

We need a HC that can motivate his players. They looked uninspired and took so many foolish penalties. He challenged the wrong penalties as usual. Special teams has been a disaster as long as I can remember.

Getting Big Ben back is not going to be enough since they have mostly neglected the offensive ball for the last 10 years. They need another starting WR, starting RB, TE, and revamp most of the line. That should be interesting with no cap space or a #1 pick.

Instead they will throw big money at Dupree who made most of his plays when he went unblocked. He is not worth 17M+ just let someone else overpay for him. They will have to pay Watt & Fitz very soon and there will be nothing left to help the offense. They should just cut Edmonds. He looks lost and another waste of a #1 pick joining the likes of (Burns, Jones, Hood).

Next year will be more of the same. Lose to 2-3 terrible teams which has become a staple of the Tomlin regime and everyone will rush to his defense.

They were terrible this year but just not as bad as the dregs of the league (Cincinnati, Miami, Arizona, Cleveland, LA, Indianapolis). Only decent win was against the Rams and they were handed that game.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I would take a hard pass at any of those guys but let me ask you this: How hot of a commodity were Sean McDermott, Kyle Shanahan, Matt Lafleur? Lafleur took a team that gave up on McCarthy and went 13-3. They didn't make wholesale changes on that roster. Coaching can make a huge difference but some want to hang their hats on Coach Cliche and "but but but he never had a losing season."

All those years with top end talent and 3 whopping playoff wins since the 2010 season which include the Bengal meltdown, Miami with their 3rd string QB, and an average KC team that took them down to the wire on a questionable penalty to seal the win.

Let's examine their losses:

2011 -- TEBOW! One of the most embarrasing losses in team history.
2014 -- Upset by a much less talented Ravens team losing as the #3 seed at home
2015 -- Lost to the Broncos after having a gift win vs Cincinnati
2017 -- Got steamrolled by that juggernaut of a Jaguars offense led by future HOF Blake Bortles

The standard is the standard and the standard since 2011 has been crap

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree he's not going anywhere and I didn't expect anything had they gotten into the playoffs. Much like the last 10 years. Season on the line vs backups and they gave up.

We need a HC that can motivate his players. They looked uninspired and took so many foolish penalties. He challenged the wrong penalties as usual. Special teams has been a disaster as long as I can remember.

Getting Big Ben back is not going to be enough since they have mostly neglected the offensive ball for the last 10 years. They need another starting WR, starting RB, TE, and revamp most of the line. That should be interesting with no cap space or a #1 pick.

Instead they will throw big money at Dupree who made most of his plays when he went unblocked. He is not worth 17M+ just let someone else overpay for him. They will have to pay Watt & Fitz very soon and there will be nothing left to help the offense. They should just cut Edmonds. He looks lost and another waste of a #1 pick joining the likes of (Burns, Jones, Hood).

Next year will be more of the same. Lose to 2-3 terrible teams which has become a staple of the Tomlin regime and everyone will rush to his defense.

They were terrible this year but just not as bad as the dregs of the league (Cincinnati, Miami, Arizona, Cleveland, LA, Indianapolis). Only decent win was against the Rams and they were handed that game.

I still contend this was probably Tomlin's best season, but it doesn't mean much in terms of winning #7.

The bottomline...Artii is probably not going to make a change at HC until the Ben era is over in 2021...it's not real mystery that a lot of these contracts incl Tomlin's line up to expire with Ben's in 2021.

Dupree...Colbert made a blunder offering that deal to Bell and fortunately it was rebuked, but typically he doesn't pay top of the market money. Yes, they will make him an offer imo probably $12 to 13 per with their std signing bonus + the 1st yr as guaranteed $...I don't expect them to pay $14-15 mil per for Bud.

Foster, Barron, McDonald...these are a few cap saving cuts that should be made.

OL...individually, they have one stud, and 3 mediocre talents, and a dead weight LG. DeCastro is their best OL, and even he struggles vs elite DTs. Pouncey is a Pro Bowler in name brand only at this point, but he's still a starting caliber player. Collectively they are a still a good OL, but it was always going to be a struggle with Rudolph and Hodges....I would not have a problem if the 1st pick is a G, but I don't expect it.

SS...I'm going to disagree with you here. Edmunds is nothing to write home about, but he's not hurting the DEF week in week out...I wouldn't cut him...he's under $3 mil on the cap and his deadmoney hit is still over $4 mil...so there's not much savings...if you can replace him for the same cap hit and improve the position...I'm all in.

2020 w/ Ben

If Ben's ready to play at a 2018 level, Juju gets back on schedule, he's not a true #1, but they have a solid trio...#18 continues his climb, and #13 has proven he can play in this league....that leaves TE. McD is better with Ben, but even if they kept him they need a better option at TE2 and it could line up to get a TE in the draft.

RB...#24 and 30 are both RB2, but they're not a great tandem because you can't rely on Connor and Snell is not a 16 gm RB....38 is a decent hybrid...if a game changer like the Clemson kid Etienne is on the board in the 2nd, it wouldn't shock me.

The DEF is going to be pretty good next year with or w/o Dupree, the OFC will improve with Ben...where will they stack up? idk but I know most of the BAL Raven fans are pleasantly stunned at this season.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin sucks......

He's a blow hard who only impresses himself with his bullshit.....like the OP.
It makes no matter if he has a stacked team or a crippled team, he can't get the job done.

Bradshaw said it and I agree.....he's a glorified cheerleader not a coach.

And seriously, who gives a shit what kind of job he did this year. The goal is the super bowl, he hasn't made the playoffs for 2 straight seasons. Fuck this 8-8 shit, when the hell did average become acceptable to this team???? And anyone who believes what this team accomplished this year was good, check your pulse.....this team had never been average or the best mediocre team in the NFL. City of Champions, not City of Candy ass Bitches.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this decade, 0-1 in the Superbowl.

That's Tomlin's legacy.

In that time, the Steelers went from being the only 6 SB team, to tied with the Patriots.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a hard pass at any of those guys but let me ask you this: How hot of a commodity were Sean McDermott, Kyle Shanahan, Matt Lafleur?

I can't give all credit to Shanahamn or Lafleur because both teams had their starting QB injured last year. With a healthy Jimmy G and A-Rod, this is how the Packers and 49ers should look. Sean McDermott is the real stand out here. 6-10 last year with everyone healthy. They add key pieces to the team in Frank Gore, Cole Beasley and they drafted very well with Ed Oliver, Knox and Singletary and here we are, the Bills are an 11 win team. As good as the 49ers and Packers were, I have to give it to McDermott because he had the same pieces to work with last year, while Shanahan had a backup QB last year and LaFleur inherited a healthy Aaron Rodgers this year.

2011 -- TEBOW! One of the most embarrasing losses in team history.
2014 -- Upset by a much less talented Ravens team losing as the #3 seed at home
2015 -- Lost to the Broncos after having a gift win vs Cincinnati
2017 -- Got steamrolled by that juggernaut of a Jaguars offense led by future HOF Blake Bortles

The standard is the standard and the standard since 2011 has been crap

You conveniently left out 2016 where we made it to the AFC title game and was probably our best shot at #7 since 2010. If the standard has been crap in Pittsburgh, then it's been crap in New Orleans as well, who have been to the same number of Conference title games, 1 more playoff win, 1 more division title and 4 losing seasons in the same timeframe as we are judging Tomlin by. Are Saints fans calling for Sean Payton's job?

Given this season, we have to have some perspective for next year. If Tomlin has a healthy roster next year, and the season isn't much better than this year, then I can get back into talking about replacing Tomlin. But I can't right now after this tragedy of a season that Tomlin made into, what would be considered as, a sub-par season for any team with a healthy roster.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this decade, 0-1 in the Superbowl.

That's Tomlin's legacy.

In that time, the Steelers went from being the only 6 SB team, to tied with the Patriots.

Belichick and Brady will do that to you.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick and Brady will do that to you.
And so will the Bortles Jaguars, Broncos (SB winner), 2015 Ravens, Broncos again (Tebow edition), and Packers (SB Winner)

Also 4 seasons of missing the playoffs entirely, where we would routinely lose games against trash teams like the Raiders, Bengals, Bears, Dolphins...