• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Season

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Mike Tomlin and staff have been able to do with this Steelers team this season is 1 game short of a miracle right now. While we can still get in with a loss, we need to be able to top the Ravens backups on Sunday. Season isn't over and we can add to this after Sunday, but here is my overview of the season.

There are going to be 2 common themes when fans talk about the Steelers season in 2019. Injuries and an anorexic offense.

Anorexic Offense:

Steelers fans across the world will always differ about this, but once Antonio Brown left, so did a huge piece of our offense. Regardless of how he left or how the CTE has affected his brain and thought process, with AB gone, we needed JuJu to step up and we needed Washington to show up. JuJu didn't, but Washington did and Diontae Johnson stepped in. Diontae Johnson has probably been the brightest spot of the season, outside of the defense making up for our offense. Without having our starting QB and having to utilize our backup and 3rd string, this offense will finish in the bottom 10 in offense for the first time since 1998. Our leading rusher has less than 500 rushing yards right now and our leading receiver will not have 1,000 yards receiving this year. All of these stats are because of missing Ben and because of theme number 2 for the season.

Injuries:

There are 2 players on the offensive side of the ball, not including the O-line, that has played at least 1 down in every game and that is Diontae Johnson and Johnny Holton.

Ben Roethlisberger - missed 14 games (including next week)
James Conner - missed 5 games
JuJu Smith-Schuster - missed 4 games
James Washington - missed 1 game
Benny Snell - missed 3 games
Jaylen Samuels - missed 2 games
Vance McDonald - missed 2 games
Ryan Switzer - missed 6 games
Roosevelt Nix - missed 12 games
Maurkice Pouncey - missed 2 games
Mason Rudolph - missed 2 games (including next week)

There are plenty of teams out there that have had injury problems, but no team our there has had injuries that have taken their Starting and Backup QB, starting, backup and 3rd string RB, starting TE and 3 of the 5 WRs that were on the roster Week 1. The only team that comes to mind in terms of injuries would be the Eagles, but they have had their starting QB, TE and RB healthy all year long. Their injuries were mainly at the WR position.

Where the Steelers are right now is nothing short of impressive. To start the year 1-4, losing our starting QB and all of these injuries and still be able to be in the hunt for a playoff spot come the last week of the season shows the kind of coach that we have. It shows what kind of spirit and heart this franchise has. Even if the Steelers don't make the playoffs, Mike Tomlin has made a believer in a lot of skeptics in the fan base that think he should be fired due to a lack of Super Bowl appearances. This was a lost season in week 3. This was supposed to be the year to see what life is like after Ben retires. Halfway through the season, it became a season of redemption and heart as we saw Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges find ways to win games and as we saw our defense step it the fuck up like any elite defense would.

Regardless of how this season ends, whether it ends Sunday or it ends in the first round of the playoffs, this was an impressive season in terms of what the team was forced to overcome. We have faired much better than some teams who have had their starters all year long. This is something to build on and, with a healthy offense and with Big Ben back and fully healthy, I am excited for 2020. 2019 cannot and should not be held against Tomlin or anyone on the coaching staff. The way this season has gone is nobody's fault and no one could have prevented the way this season went.

In order for the Steelers to make the playoffs, we need to win and we need the Titans to lose to the Texans, who will more than likely be resting DeShaun and the starters as they have locked up the 3 or 4 seed. We can also make the playoffs if we lose, but we also need the Titans to lose, the Raiders to lose to the Broncos and the Colts to beat Jacksonville as the Colts would win the tiebreaker over the Titans and we would win the tiebreaker over the Colts and Oakland would be 1 game behind us with a loss. Baltimore is resting Lamar and the starters but our offense is still a huge question mark. But like I said, regardless of the outcome on Sunday, this season was a lot of things. Up and down. Disappointing. Surprising. But we have to have perspective on this season when it comes to criticisms of this team and the coaching staff. There is blame to go around in terms of what could have been better during certain games, but as a whole, no one could've been prepared for the volume of injuries.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Mike Tomlin and staff have been able to do with this Steelers team this season is 1 game short of a miracle right now. While we can still get in with a loss, we need to be able to top the Ravens backups on Sunday. Season isn't over and we can add to this after Sunday, but here is my overview of the season.

There are going to be 2 common themes when fans talk about the Steelers season in 2019. Injuries and an anorexic offense.

Anorexic Offense:

Steelers fans across the world will always differ about this, but once Antonio Brown left, so did a huge piece of our offense. Regardless of how he left or how the CTE has affected his brain and thought process, with AB gone, we needed JuJu to step up and we needed Washington to show up. JuJu didn't, but Washington did and Diontae Johnson stepped in. Diontae Johnson has probably been the brightest spot of the season, outside of the defense making up for our offense. Without having our starting QB and having to utilize our backup and 3rd string, this offense will finish in the bottom 10 in offense for the first time since 1998. Our leading rusher has less than 500 rushing yards right now and our leading receiver will not have 1,000 yards receiving this year. All of these stats are because of missing Ben and because of theme number 2 for the season.

Injuries:

There are 2 players on the offensive side of the ball, not including the O-line, that has played at least 1 down in every game and that is Diontae Johnson and Johnny Holton.

Ben Roethlisberger - missed 14 games (including next week)
James Conner - missed 5 games
JuJu Smith-Schuster - missed 4 games
James Washington - missed 1 game
Benny Snell - missed 3 games
Jaylen Samuels - missed 2 games
Vance McDonald - missed 2 games
Ryan Switzer - missed 6 games
Roosevelt Nix - missed 12 games
Maurkice Pouncey - missed 2 games
Mason Rudolph - missed 2 games (including next week)

There are plenty of teams out there that have had injury problems, but no team our there has had injuries that have taken their Starting and Backup QB, starting, backup and 3rd string RB, starting TE and 3 of the 5 WRs that were on the roster Week 1. The only team that comes to mind in terms of injuries would be the Eagles, but they have had their starting QB, TE and RB healthy all year long. Their injuries were mainly at the WR position.

Where the Steelers are right now is nothing short of impressive. To start the year 1-4, losing our starting QB and all of these injuries and still be able to be in the hunt for a playoff spot come the last week of the season shows the kind of coach that we have. It shows what kind of spirit and heart this franchise has. Even if the Steelers don't make the playoffs, Mike Tomlin has made a believer in a lot of skeptics in the fan base that think he should be fired due to a lack of Super Bowl appearances. This was a lost season in week 3. This was supposed to be the year to see what life is like after Ben retires. Halfway through the season, it became a season of redemption and heart as we saw Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges find ways to win games and as we saw our defense step it the fuck up like any elite defense would.

Regardless of how this season ends, whether it ends Sunday or it ends in the first round of the playoffs, this was an impressive season in terms of what the team was forced to overcome. We have faired much better than some teams who have had their starters all year long. This is something to build on and, with a healthy offense and with Big Ben back and fully healthy, I am excited for 2020. 2019 cannot and should not be held against Tomlin or anyone on the coaching staff. The way this season has gone is nobody's fault and no one could have prevented the way this season went.

In order for the Steelers to make the playoffs, we need to win and we need the Titans to lose to the Texans, who will more than likely be resting DeShaun and the starters as they have locked up the 3 or 4 seed. We can also make the playoffs if we lose, but we also need the Titans to lose, the Raiders to lose to the Broncos and the Colts to beat Jacksonville as the Colts would win the tiebreaker over the Titans and we would win the tiebreaker over the Colts and Oakland would be 1 game behind us with a loss. Baltimore is resting Lamar and the starters but our offense is still a huge question mark. But like I said, regardless of the outcome on Sunday, this season was a lot of things. Up and down. Disappointing. Surprising. But we have to have perspective on this season when it comes to criticisms of this team and the coaching staff. There is blame to go around in terms of what could have been better during certain games, but as a whole, no one could've been prepared for the volume of injuries.

I didn't realize they could still make it if TN and PIT lose, but I forgot TN lost a non-conf game last week so if both lose, conf record ties again I assume and the next level is SOS and PIT would get in that way I suppose.

On the season...whether they make it or not, the FO move to get Fitz has set this DEF up to potentially be a top 5 top 8 type unit for another 2 or 3 seasons.

This is just my opinion...I've touched on this at other times during the season.

Fichtner was a QB coach under Haley and knew the OFC. Haley's exit left a void at OC...I truly think Ben wanted Fichtner in that role and I think during the game planning week they were co-OCs and on game day Randy was the playcaller.

When it became Rudolph's show, Randy now had to be a full fledged OC with a 1st yr starter and he just wasn't ready for it. Far too often the down and distance was not working in the QB's favor...lot of 3rd and long.

I'm still not totally comfortable with Tomlin running the full strength team, but I have to admit this was a train wreck of a season that could've been a top 10 draft pick...9-7 would be maybe his best coaching job...should get a few COY votes...8-8...helluva season under the circumstance, but...you come away feeling like they left a game or two out there.

Not to break down the good work that Colbert has done, but I wonder if this team had vet backup QB how this season would've gone....Batch, even Leftwitch come to mind. Putting zero experience behind Ben was a calculated risk that came back to bite them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like SOS is in favor of TN so PIT must finish ahead of TN to get in now....if they both lose TN is in.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like SOS is in favor of TN so PIT must finish ahead of TN to get in now....if they both lose TN is in.

Scenarios for Pittsburgh to get into the playoffs:

• PIT win + TEN loss/tie
  • PIT tie + TEN loss
  • PIT loss + TEN loss + IND win + OAK loss/tie OR
  • TEN loss + IND win + PIT ties OAK in strength-of-victory tiebreaker ^
^ PIT ties OAK in strength-of-victory tiebreaker if ALL of the following teams win: MIN, GB, KC AND MIA

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta question for SteelersNation. Earlier in the season some fans wanted Tomlin fired. I think he's done a helluva job considering L-Bell & AB aren't there anymore & BigBen was lost for the season.

So do some fans still want Tomlin fired & if so who's top of the list to replace him?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta question for SteelersNation. Earlier in the season some fans wanted Tomlin fired. I think he's done a helluva job considering L-Bell & AB aren't there anymore & BigBen was lost for the season.

So do some fans still want Tomlin fired & if so who's top of the list to replace him?

There are some fans that still want him fired, for sure. Most are using the argument of how we've been mediocre in the playoffs during his tenure. 3 playoff wins since 2011, only 1 Super Bowl trophy. I used to want Mike Tomlin fired, due to his lack of control over the locker room and the fact that we could never draft well or were players in free agency. After this year, with this team and all the shit thrown at the team, injury and drama wise, this has been an overachieving season and I believe that this locker room is stronger than ever due to their fight to go from 1-4 and on the bottom of the list in terms of AFC teams to now 8-7 and needing a win and a Titans loss to get into the playoffs. I honestly thought we'd be one of the bottom 10 teams in the league and hand Miami their 2nd first-round draft pick of the year. But here we are, last week of the season and we may just get into the playoffs with our 3rd string QB. Nothing short of amazing, to be honest.

As far as replacements for Tomlin, McCarthy and Garrett have been mentioned which are just down right horrid choices. But, if you were to ask a person who wants Tomlin fired who their replacement would be, they never give you an answer and that's because there is no better option out there right now than what we have now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some fans that still want him fired, for sure. Most are using the argument of how we've been mediocre in the playoffs during his tenure. 3 playoff wins since 2011, only 1 Super Bowl trophy. I used to want Mike Tomlin fired, due to his lack of control over the locker room and the fact that we could never draft well or were players in free agency. After this year, with this team and all the shit thrown at the team, injury and drama wise, this has been an overachieving season and I believe that this locker room is stronger than ever due to their fight to go from 1-4 and on the bottom of the list in terms of AFC teams to now 8-7 and needing a win and a Titans loss to get into the playoffs. I honestly thought we'd be one of the bottom 10 teams in the league and hand Miami their 2nd first-round draft pick of the year. But here we are, last week of the season and we may just get into the playoffs with our 3rd string QB. Nothing short of amazing, to be honest.

As far as replacements for Tomlin, McCarthy and Garrett have been mentioned which are just down right horrid choices. But, if you were to ask a person who wants Tomlin fired who their replacement would be, they never give you an answer and that's because there is no better option out there right now than what we have now.

Thanks for the answer. And I agree there are no better option out there right now. He probably won't get it but I think he should be in the running for COY.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the answer. And I agree there are no better option out there right now. He probably won't get it but I think he should be in the running for COY.

I've said this a lot and I think it's legit 100% how this season should be looked at. With everything taken into perspective, what Tomlin has been able to do with this team is miraculous. Yes, we have an anorexic offense right now. But we still find ways to put points on the board and our defense is just lights out and amazing at keeping us in contention to win games. We could've just thrown this season away but that's not that kind of coach that Tomlin is and I think we've seen a lot of character and heart and fight from this team that, quite honestly, we didn't have the last few years. Had this fight been brought to the field and the locker room the last 3-4 years, we might have actually won #7 and possibly #8, at the very lease been to a Super Bowl in that timeframe.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this a lot and I think it's legit 100% how this season should be looked at. With everything taken into perspective, what Tomlin has been able to do with this team is miraculous. Yes, we have an anorexic offense right now. But we still find ways to put points on the board and our defense is just lights out and amazing at keeping us in contention to win games. We could've just thrown this season away but that's not that kind of coach that Tomlin is and I think we've seen a lot of character and heart and fight from this team that, quite honestly, we didn't have the last few years. Had this fight been brought to the field and the locker room the last 3-4 years, we might have actually won #7 and possibly #8, at the very lease been to a Super Bowl in that timeframe.

I can't blame Tomlin for the offense this season, not saying you are. Three different QB's this year (BigBen, Rudolph & Hodges right?). The fact they can still get into the playoffs I think is amazing with all the issues this year.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame Tomlin for the offense this season, not saying you are. Three different QB's this year (BigBen, Rudolph & Hodges right?). The fact they can still get into the playoffs I think is amazing with all the issues this year.

Yeah, Ben Week 1-2, Mason from Week 2-5, Duck Week 6, then back to Mason from Week 8-12, then back to Duck from Week 13 til 17. We now have our 4th string QB suited up, Paxton Lynch, as our backup and we just signed our 5th QB, J.T Barrett, to the PS. It's been a shit show at QB and on offense but we somehow have turned this season around which is just incredible. I wouldn't even be upset if we don't make the playoffs, to be honest. I'm more so excited for 2020. Healthy starters and our QB back? If we keep this fight and drive and desire through next year, we might be a very scary team to play.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Ben Week 1-2, Mason from Week 2-5, Duck Week 6, then back to Mason from Week 8-12, then back to Duck from Week 13 til 17. We now have our 4th string QB suited up, Paxton Lynch, as our backup and we just signed our 5th QB, J.T Barrett, to the PS. It's been a shit show at QB and on offense but we somehow have turned this season around which is just incredible. I wouldn't even be upset if we don't make the playoffs, to be honest. I'm more so excited for 2020. Healthy starters and our QB back? If we keep this fight and drive and desire through next year, we might be a very scary team to play.

Paxton Lynch? Holy crap what's he still doing in the NFL? And surprised to hear about JT. Once the Steelers recover from the injury bug that sucker punched them I think things will be back to normal next season.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton Lynch? Holy crap what's he still doing in the NFL? And surprised to hear about JT. Once the Steelers recover from the injury bug that sucker punched them I think things will be back to normal next season.

Yup, Paxton Lynch. That is how desperate we were at the QB position lol.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Paxton Lynch. That is how desperate we were at the QB position lol.

At least your Steelers didn't dign Johnny Outta Football. Last thing I heard about him he's a roadie for his pal Justin Beeber.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he has been on the roster since Ben went down. They signed him to the Practice Squad and after Rudolph took the helmet to the head they promoted him to the 53 man roster.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still not a fan of Tomlin. He isn't getting fired because the Steelers just don't do that. Granted it is very hard to give a legit reason to fire him (right now) since he never had a losing season, won a Super Bowl and has this anemic of an offensive team this season in a position for a playoff spot.

But he never was a good game manager and hopefully, they will fix that come next season with better coaching around him. For one Randy Fincter should be gone but that will depend largely on the fact IF Ben can come back. He is basically Ben's caddie and has real no ability to coordinate an offense w/o Ben.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he has been on the roster since Ben went down. They signed him to the Practice Squad and after Rudolph took the helmet to the head they promoted him to the 53 man roster.

Think the Steelers will keep him on the practice squad for next year? Or too early to tell right now?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not a fan of Tomlin. He isn't getting fired because the Steelers just don't do that. Granted it is very hard to give a legit reason to fire him (right now) since he never had a losing season, won a Super Bowl and has this anemic of an offensive team this season in a position for a playoff spot.

But he never was a good game manager and hopefully, they will fix that come next season with better coaching around him. For one Randy Fincter should be gone but that will depend largely on the fact IF Ben can come back. He is basically Ben's caddie and has real no ability to coordinate an offense w/o Ben.

I've always liked Tomlin. But he's been there what, 12/13 years now? Obviously the Steelers don't change coaches very often but maybe it's time, well kinda. I don't follow the Steelers as closely as you guys do. But one more year with BigBen & possibly look for new start?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the Steelers will keep him on the practice squad for next year? Or too early to tell right now?
Way too early to tell. I can't believe they kept him this long. Hindsight being what it was they probably would not have traded Dobbs and kept Hodges on the practice squad all season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Tomlin. But he's been there what, 12/13 years now? Obviously the Steelers don't change coaches very often but maybe it's time, well kinda. I don't follow the Steelers as closely as you guys do. But one more year with BigBen & possibly look for new start?
Yeah they won't move on from him. The only way he leaves if they make a "trade ala Gruden" and he accepts or he "retires". About the only thing that will get him fired now is if he does something stupid in his personal life which I don't see happening.

Anyway is inability to beat certain teams over the years when you had that much talent would get most coaches fired except in Pittsburgh.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to tell. I can't believe they kept him this long. Hindsight being what it was they probably would not have traded Dobbs and kept Hodges on the practice squad all season.

I forgot about Dobbs. But things always seem to work for the Steelers. And I see no reason for that to change.

I miss the 80's & up to '95 when this was a good rivalry.The bar I hung at the owner would set up a bus trip for the Browns game at Three Rivers. Those were some fun times.