• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Season

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its BEEN time for the Steelers to bring in a new voice, and a new cadre of coaches. Anyone who cant see that is blind
and im by no means saying not saying tomlin is the answer. Just the rationale at times is flawed. People state how great some of these other coaches are and they do the SAME THING, and more that tomlin does. We just dont really see it ALL because its not "our" team. If what has happened in NO since 2014/2015 happened here. The pitchforks would be out 10k times wore than they are now.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
also saints are the first 13-3 team to lose in the wild card round , ever.

Probably because a 13-3 team rarely plays in the Wild Card round but I don’t really care enough to look it up. I seem to recall another 13-3 team that got rolled in 2017 but it was in the divisional round.

If I were a Saints fan I would probably be calling for his dismissal as well. I really don’t follow them closely and have already wasted time doing more research than I care to do.

Personally I think it’s time for a change at Head Coach. Apparently you don’t and that is cool.

I have given numerous reasons why over the years including bad losses to inferior teams, horrible challenge record, letting egos splinter the locker room, poor game time adjustments, etc.

Hopefully next year is better.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because a 13-3 team rarely plays in the Wild Card round but I don’t really care enough to look it up. I seem to recall another 13-3 team that got rolled in 2017 but it was in the divisional round.

If I were a Saints fan I would probably be calling for his dismissal as well. I really don’t follow them closely and have already wasted time doing more research than I care to do.

Personally I think it’s time for a change at Head Coach. Apparently you don’t and that is cool.

I have given numerous reasons why over the years including bad losses to inferior teams, horrible challenge record, letting egos splinter the locker room, poor game time adjustments, etc.

Hopefully next year is better.
But you give a handful of bad losses ,realistically. Egos splinter the locker room? He held ab and bell in check. And yes all coaches do the things your talking about. But ok. I digress. My point is the "numerous" things are things that all top coaches have issues with, if not worse.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you give a handful of bad losses ,realistically. Egos splinter the locker room? He held ab and bell in check. And yes all coaches do the things your talking about. But ok. I digress. My point is the "numerous" things are things that all top coaches have issues with, if not worse.
Ego without fame & accolades is a lot easier to maintain because they were unheralded and didn't carry any weight. Once Bell & Brown established themselves league-wide it was only a matter of time before their egos overcame their respect for the franchise, coaches & teammates.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ego without fame & accolades is a lot easier to maintain because they were unheralded and didn't carry any weight. Once Bell & Brown established themselves league-wide it was only a matter of time before their egos overcame their respect for the franchise, coaches & teammates.
agreed, but that was mostly held in check for a long time here. Something even the lauded patsies couldnt do for 2 weeks.

Im just pointing out that alot of these flaws, everyone has. That most of the coaches that have been mentioned by many, have the same things, and in most cases, just as bad or worse.........Again, not saying a change isnt needed. But at the same time, be careful what you wish for. Outside of the Pats, its hard to find 5-6 guys in better shape, and i continue to state that sean payton is not one of them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed, but that was mostly held in check for a long time here. Something even the lauded patsies couldnt do for 2 weeks.

Im just pointing out that alot of these flaws, everyone has. That most of the coaches that have been mentioned by many, have the same things, and in most cases, just as bad or worse.........Again, not saying a change isnt needed. But at the same time, be careful what you wish for. Outside of the Pats, its hard to find 5-6 guys in better shape, and i continue to state that sean payton is not one of them.
I don't see how the Patriots situation supports Tomlin at all. Context & circumstance. Patriots couldn't take any control over their situation with AB. AB brought baggage that they couldn't account for. Steelers would have been blindsided by the r*pe allegations if he stuck with PIT.

FWIW, I'm all for riding out Tomlin's contract. I'll keep him on a short leash, as should everyone in here, but he's earned another season. Even if his schedule was favorable allowing him to pick up wins against non-playoff teams. But we all have to understand that he only did so because of a championship caliber defense. Without it they were a 3-4 win team.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the Patriots situation supports Tomlin at all. Context & circumstance. Patriots couldn't take any control over their situation with AB. AB brought baggage that they couldn't account for. Steelers would have been blindsided by the r*pe allegations if he stuck with PIT.

FWIW, I'm all for riding out Tomlin's contract. I'll keep him on a short leash, as should everyone in here, but he's earned another season. Even if his schedule was favorable allowing him to pick up wins against non-playoff teams. But we all have to understand that he only did so because of a championship caliber defense. Without it they were a 3-4 win team.
all im saying is that oakland, pats etc couldn handle him either. Yes they were blindsided, but an organization like that felt they could control things, they couldn't, if they didn't think that they wouldn't of signed him. Just my two cents. I agree on the schedule and the D. But again i'll use an example here, the buffalo bills. Mcdermott was a coach of the year candidate, their schedule was pathetic. Hes lauded for his work.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all im saying is that oakland, pats etc couldn handle him either. Yes they were blindsided, but an organization like that felt they could control things, they couldn't, if they didn't think that they wouldn't of signed him. Just my two cents. I agree on the schedule and the D. But again i'll use an example here, the buffalo bills. Mcdermott was a coach of the year candidate, their schedule was pathetic. Hes lauded for his work.
Oakland is a better example. Of course the Patriots thought he was worth the risk because the payoff would have been huge, but they made sure to keep him on a short leash. The contract details that NE gave him were very strict. The way AB imploded in NE was not a detriment to Belichick. It wasn't something they could have prevented

OAK & PIT had every opportunity to keep him on a leash. AB's leash in PIT was nonexistent. Tomlin made every effort to make sure his star WR was afforded every luxury there was to offer to keep him quiet. It's the equivalent of taking your child to the toy store and handing him/her your credit card whenever they were being a brat. Tomlin's method of "keeping him in check" was mainly about letting him do whatever he wanted and giving him the appearance that he was above the team & its accountability. I have no respect for Tomlin for how he handled AB and honestly I don't see how anyone could.

We saw what happened with OAK & AB when a coach/GM thought they could put AB on a leash.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland is a better example. Of course the Patriots thought he was worth the risk because the payoff would have been huge, but they made sure to keep him on a short leash. The contract details that NE gave him were very strict. The way AB imploded in NE was not a detriment to Belichick. It wasn't something they could have prevented

OAK & PIT had every opportunity to keep him on a leash. AB's leash in PIT was nonexistent. Tomlin made every effort to make sure his star WR was afforded every luxury there was to offer to keep him quiet. It's the equivalent of taking your child to the toy store and handing him/her your credit card whenever they were being a brat. Tomlin's method of "keeping him in check" was mainly about letting him do whatever he wanted and giving him the appearance that he was above the team & its accountability. I have no respect for Tomlin for how he handled AB and honestly I don't see how anyone could.

We saw what happened with OAK & AB when a coach/GM thought they could put AB on a leash.

An alternative vantage point. Tomlin's job is to win games. AB gave us a better chance to win games. He did what he needed to do, to keep that happening, and somewhat under wraps. Isn't that what a coach does?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An alternative vantage point. Tomlin's job is to win games. AB gave us a better chance to win games. He did what he needed to do, to keep that happening, and somewhat under wraps. Isn't that what a coach does?
Part of it, yes. But holding their players accountable is another part of it. At least for long term success. Something that Tomlin doesn't do. At least for long term success. Things can be good while the "going's good" sotospeak.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it, yes. But holding their players accountable is another part of it. At least for long term success. Something that Tomlin doesn't do. At least for long term success. Things can be good while the "going's good" sotospeak.
that "going" did last 8 years........

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that "going" did last 8 years........
This team has been a flash in the pan for the majority of those years. All hype and little substance. The last time this team did anything of merit was on the coattails of a team that another coach helped build.

Tomlin has to prove once & for all next year that he can take this team to the big show.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at what played out in the wildcard weekend...I think NE, NO, & PIT are looking at one year windows for QB and recalibrate after 2020. Interesting that neither Brees nor Brady made it to the DIV round.

I said that to say...most of us feel the Steelers will try to resign Dupree. I'll go another step and say I think they will franchise or use the non-exclusive tag on Bud if they can't come to a long term deal. I think they will be fairly aggressive trying to land a TE.

Tomlin created an environment for established vet players that was basically cush for lack of a better word...if started with Ben and more or less expanded to a handful of players. Most of the players handled their little windfall as a professionals...from what I've heard thru coach Mitch...that's pretty normal around the league most teams grant vets a few privileges...but, one player leaned on it to the max.

As you said...Tomlin's way of handling AB was mostly sweep it under the rug as long as AB was producing...and that created the monster that we now know as Antonio Brown.

Also as you noted...when Mayock tried to apply some discipline to an undisciplined player we saw what happened. Tomlin created the monster, but so much of Antonio Brown's issues are grown man issues that AB should be responsible for...not Mike Tomlin. If I saw several players like AB on the team...I can point more at Tomlin and the "loose" culture, but we're really talking about one guy who became that guy in OAK, and ultimately became that guy in NE.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been a flash in the pan for the majority of those years. All hype and little substance. The last time this team did anything of merit was on the coattails of a team that another coach helped build.

Tomlin has to prove once & for all next year that he can take this team to the big show.
I knew it would come up. "Tomlin won with cowhers players " the ol fall back. But cowher couldn't win with his players.......

All teams are flashes in the pan except the pats.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In 06, we lost to a 4-12 Raiders team and a 6-10 Ravens team twice."

This is incorrect. The Ravens won the division and were one of the best teams in the conference in 2006. And I believe the Raiders were 2-14 that year

I stand corrected!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its BEEN time for the Steelers to bring in a new voice, and a new cadre of coaches. Anyone who cant see that is blind

My issue with MOST people who say this is they never provide a replacement option. Who, in your opinion, is the best fit to coach us or who would you most like to see as the next Steelers coach?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with MOST people who say this is they never provide a replacement option. Who, in your opinion, is the best fit to coach us or who would you most like to see as the next Steelers coach?

i'm sorry, but i can't stand when people throw this question out there like it's some sort of trump card. not trying to pick on you in particular, terry, but i've seen this irrelevant question posted a million times, both here and at other websites. I can give you a laundry list of folks that i'd consider worthy, and ultimately, it's not going to satisfy you, or at best, you'll nitpick whomever i nominate. i don't work for the Steelers, i don't work in their front office, i'm not part of the ownership group. But, i'd imagine that, being part of a successful enterprise as they are, they prrrrrobably have their methods and means to satisfy the process of searching for, finding, and hiring a coach and coaching staff. so for all we know, there could be someone out there that nobody in the WORLD has even considered yet (similar to tomlin before he was on the steelers radar when cowher left some 12 years ago), that might be on the steelers (or another team's) radar, someone that has the chops, the personality, charisma, organizational skills, the motivational skills, etc etc, to not just do an adequate job, but do a very good job, if not an excellent job. look, i'm of the belief that even the BEST coaches wear out their welcome, eventually. things get stagnant, the message becomes stagnant, essentially being a head coach in pro football is one of the best "part-time" jobs ever, because even if you last 8-10 years, it's not really that long of a period, in the grand scheme of things. the trick is knowing when it's time to move on, before the culture of your team becomes such that you're constantly trying to crawl out of the abyss of mediocrity or, worse, the hellhole to which substandard football teams reside within. i simply think it's time to move on, and i am willing to put faith in art rooney jr., his ownership partners, kevin colbert if he has a part in the process, to go out there and find a great candidate that will have this team trending upward again for at least the next half decade to decade.

having said all that, one guy in particular i've been really keen on, at least the last 2-3 years, is Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski. I like the way he call plays, I like how he believes in a strong running game and use of the tight end, and the handful of times i've seen him speak, he seems like a guy who is very straightforward, someone who can convey his message in a practical manner and someone who'd appreciate the challenge of being the head coach of a franchise with a proud and storied heritage.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sorry, but i can't stand when people throw this question out there like it's some sort of trump card. not trying to pick on you in particular, terry, but i've seen this irrelevant question posted a million times, both here and at other websites. I can give you a laundry list of folks that i'd consider worthy, and ultimately, it's not going to satisfy you, or at best, you'll nitpick whomever i nominate. i don't work for the Steelers, i don't work in their front office, i'm not part of the ownership group. But, i'd imagine that, being part of a successful enterprise as they are, they prrrrrobably have their methods and means to satisfy the process of searching for, finding, and hiring a coach and coaching staff. so for all we know, there could be someone out there that nobody in the WORLD has even considered yet (similar to tomlin before he was on the steelers radar when cowher left some 12 years ago), that might be on the steelers (or another team's) radar, someone that has the chops, the personality, charisma, organizational skills, the motivational skills, etc etc, to not just do an adequate job, but do a very good job, if not an excellent job. look, i'm of the belief that even the BEST coaches wear out their welcome, eventually. things get stagnant, the message becomes stagnant, essentially being a head coach in pro football is one of the best "part-time" jobs ever, because even if you last 8-10 years, it's not really that long of a period, in the grand scheme of things. the trick is knowing when it's time to move on, before the culture of your team becomes such that you're constantly trying to crawl out of the abyss of mediocrity or, worse, the hellhole to which substandard football teams reside within. i simply think it's time to move on, and i am willing to put faith in art rooney jr., his ownership partners, kevin colbert if he has a part in the process, to go out there and find a great candidate that will have this team trending upward again for at least the next half decade to decade.

having said all that, one guy in particular i've been really keen on, at least the last 2-3 years, is Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski. I like the way he call plays, I like how he believes in a strong running game and use of the tight end, and the handful of times i've seen him speak, he seems like a guy who is very straightforward, someone who can convey his message in a practical manner and someone who'd appreciate the challenge of being the head coach of a franchise with a proud and storied heritage.
I actually really like stefanski as well. I agree on all points. Oddly enough Stefanski has really gotten away from the tight end this season though, even with them locking up rudolph, and spending a high pick on Irv smith. However, I still really respect his game.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually really like stefanski as well. I agree on all points. Oddly enough Stefanski has really gotten away from the tight end this season though, even with them locking up rudolph, and spending a high pick on Irv smith. However, I still really respect his game.

actually, that's true, they haven't passed to rudolph as much this year, but the last 2-3 years, he was a big part of the offense.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, that's true, they haven't passed to rudolph as much this year, but the last 2-3 years, he was a big part of the offense.
he was, they really went away from the tight end, he became re-integrated when thielen was out, but then right back to the blocking, oddly not using smith either. Doesnt really matter, hes effective