• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford will be allowed to open things up

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB position is not overrated. Not many times do you see an elite QB on a shit team. More times than not, however, you will find elite talent at other positions on a shit team. Im sure there are some anomalies, but for the most part if you have a great qb it reflects in your record.

For the most part, the GMs who find great QBs also evaluate other positions better and find the right guys to go around that great QB. They also get to keep their jobs long enough to put the pieces around those great QBs.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh was just the highest paid defender in league history.

Career
36 sacks
2 FF
1 INT
15 passes defensed

Same 5 years

Aaron Rodgers

167 TD passes

Sorry, the league is setup so that the QB position is by far and away the most important position on the field.

I'm not saying it isn't the most important position. I understand that great QBs give a team a better chance to win than even teams with more talent but shit QBs. But that's the problem. GMs know this and take way too many gambles on guys who have no business being drafted where they get drafted based on their talent. At the same time, it is a double edged sword. You build a team with a lot of talent and you end up picking in the high teens, low 20s and you may never get a chance at that great QB when he comes along. But if I were a GM, I'd rather get fired for going 8-8 for 5 or 6 years than get fired after 4 years because my high draft pick QB busted out of the league. And if we're being real, plenty of solid teams win championships without greatness at QB. Russell Wilson isn't great. Eli Manning isn't great. Ben Roethlisberger isn't great. And that bug eyed fucker Aaron Rodgers, the consensus best QB in the NFL has one. Some regard Peyton Manning as the best of all time. He has one. Hall of Famer Drew Brees has one. Hall of Famer Kurt Warner has one. You can go back even further. Dan Marino has none. But guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms and Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson have titles. The argument is there that you're better off building a great team and just hoping for the right QB at the right time than trying to build a team around a great QB.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree 22 that QB is the most important position to the offense. You do have rare occasions like Dilfer winning a SB. He sure as hell was not key component of that team.

Do you really think Stafford gets 5000 yards with no CJ? I don't.

The list you make of top QBs will also have some elite talent within the other ten names on the offense. The one QB that really has never had elite talent other than a OL most times is Brady. This also is my reason for putting him in front Montana for me.

I agree but even with Brady, the guys catch the ball. they get open. Be it scheme or talent or whatever, when the ball leaves Brady's hands, the guy on the other side tends to catch it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning does, and always will, confuse me. While I am a huge fan, I can acknowledge his disappearance in most big games. While IMO he's never had the types of teams built around him like Brady, that's no excuse for how many times he(Peyton) choked in the clutch.

I despise Brady. But even under the circumstances of my bias towards Peyton I cannot defend him as the better QB. The 4th ring tipped the scales, quite heavily I might add, by beating the same team that destroyed Peyton a year prior.

As far as Stafford, I really do like what he brings to the table. I would probably only trade him straight up for maybe 5 QBs. But that doesn't mean he's a top 5 QB, or that he shouldn't be accountable for bad play. So while I definitely believe guys like Tannehill, Romo, Eli, and Rivers deserve to be ranked higher, I'm not taking them over Stafford. No way.

Indy neglected the defense to give Peyton weapons and pretty much let him dictate everything they did on offense. Most teams try to mold their O based on their passer's skillset but I don't think anyone has EVER done that to the extent Indy did with Manning. I mean I've read your post over and over hoping that I just misread what you said because that's just nuts to me.

And there's no way I'm putting Tannehill or Eli over Stafford. Romo probably and Rivers definately but no way on the others.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take any of the old guys over Stafford. I'd take Rodgers for sure even though I hate his fucking guts. I liked him before he played for Green Bay. I would probably take Luck but I'm not as high on him as everyone else is. He has a lot of tools but he's as mistake prone as Stafford had been. He'll likely grow out of it but you never know. Matt Ryan is highly overrated. Can Newton I think is a terrible leader. Big Ben really isn't that good IMO. Eli makes too many mistakes. I like Wilson but I wouldn't take him over Stafford. Rivers, I'd maybe take Rivers over Stafford.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it isn't the most important position. I understand that great QBs give a team a better chance to win than even teams with more talent but shit QBs. But that's the problem. GMs know this and take way too many gambles on guys who have no business being drafted where they get drafted based on their talent. At the same time, it is a double edged sword. You build a team with a lot of talent and you end up picking in the high teens, low 20s and you may never get a chance at that great QB when he comes along. But if I were a GM, I'd rather get fired for going 8-8 for 5 or 6 years than get fired after 4 years because my high draft pick QB busted out of the league. And if we're being real, plenty of solid teams win championships without greatness at QB. Russell Wilson isn't great. Eli Manning isn't great. Ben Roethlisberger isn't great. And that bug eyed fucker Aaron Rodgers, the consensus best QB in the NFL has one. Some regard Peyton Manning as the best of all time. He has one. Hall of Famer Drew Brees has one. Hall of Famer Kurt Warner has one. You can go back even further. Dan Marino has none. But guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms and Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson have titles. The argument is there that you're better off building a great team and just hoping for the right QB at the right time than trying to build a team around a great QB.

I get that.

But you say Wilson isn't great? Please tell me how many top 10 picks that guy has had to throw to? Dude was throwing to some fucker off the street I've never heard of in the Super Bowl. Sure, he had some sweet ass defenses but Stafford had the best defense in the NFL last year. Didn't do shit. Along, with the million high draft picks he has had the please of throwing to.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that.

But you say Wilson isn't great? Please tell me how many top 10 picks that guy has had to throw to? Dude was throwing to some fucker off the street I've never heard of in the Super Bowl. Sure, he had some sweet ass defenses but Stafford had the best defense in the NFL last year. Didn't do shit. Along, with the million high draft picks he has had the please of throwing to.

Wilson is an average QB with good play making ability. I guess he gets credited for the Seahawks Superbowls too, hunh? The deference between the Lion's defense and Seattle's is that Seattles wouldve never gave up the lead in the Dallas game and wouldnt have left Levy to cover Bryant on a crossing route.

Wilson basically just scrambles around everywhere and throws it.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that.

Wilson is so great that everyone lambasted the coach for putting the ball in his hands to close out a game.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has the benefit of a great running game. When you have to put 8 guys in the box to stop Lynch and Wilson's run option it's going to open some things up.

Give Seattle Detroit's line and RBs and they miss the playoffs.

Having to defend the run makes everything better. Tony Romo is still Tony Romo but this year they finally put that run game together. Zach Martin finished off a good line and Murray was a monster. Tony Romo is all of a sudden a great Qb? Hell no but he doesn't have to be.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deference between the Lion's defense and Seattle's is that Seattles wouldve never gave up the lead in the Dallas.

This is based off of just the post-season game between Lions and Cowboys? Because I can tell you the Seattle Defense gave up the lead more than once on the 30 points they allowed the Cowboys during their regular season game IN SEATTLE.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I double dog dare any of you to take this to the main board and try to claim Stafford is better than Russell Wilson. You'll get eaten alive.

Do it.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol back to the "Russell Wilson is average" argument. You guys will see now that Jimmy Graham is there. Expect the rushing numbers for RW to go down and the passing numbers to spike dramatically. You guys will see.

And the "8 in the box" thing is played out. Don't you know RW is part of the reason they do that? Check Lynch's numbers before and after Wilson and then tell me which one makes the other better.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson can't throw a 50 yard laser on a rope so he can't be better than Stafford.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spy a QB, you put 8 against a running back.

If the 8 in a box is played out then why did Tony romo have such a good year? He had more issues than Cutler in turning over the ball at big times but with a great running game Romo changed.

Wilson's numbers are not great he just fits Seattle's offense.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I double dog dare any of you to take this to the main board and try to claim Stafford is better than Russell Wilson. You'll get eaten alive.

Why? ...it'll turn out just like the Peyton/Brady debate from long ago. Peyton carried the Colts and was clearly the better QB, but Brady had the trips to the SP and rings.