• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford will be allowed to open things up

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet Tannehill had a better year last year than Stafford who has the best WR in history, and Miami has won far more games v winning teams than Detroit over the past 2 years.

Suh makes a mere 3 million more than Calvin per year. Do you have the same concerns about losing guys like Levy, Reiff, Ansah and others?

There's hardly any difference between Stafford and Tannehill's numbers from last season. The only real difference is Tannehill had his best year while statistically Stafford had arguably his worst. I'll say that I do hope Calvin takes a paycut. I think that he needs to. But as you said, Suh makes more than he does so your point is moot. I'd be a lot more concerned about cap room for our other good players had we been foolish enough to give Suh all that loot. And you really should give up on this won more games vs. winning teams nonsense. The flip side is they obviously keep losing games they shouldn't lose or else they'd be making the playoffs. The first step to becoming a good team is beating the teams that you should beat.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what tags are for.

Cleveland had the space just not the desire.

As for Suh,

He had two great years in Detroit his first and last. The ones sandwich in are varying degrees of good not great. Before last year Atkins was seen as 1 and Ngata as 1a. You could throw in McCoy as well. All were in the discussion. You don't pay a guy the largest defensive contract ever for good. He has got to be great.

Not sure he can live up to JJ Watt type production....or more accurately a DT will not live up to JJ Watt type production.

I have no problem with not resigning Suh to some stupid amount of cash my problem is not having a plan to address the D-Line. Miami's defense was not better than Detroit's last season so with Suh they may have a defense as good as Detroit's was last year.....and how did that end for Detroit?

Outside of Suh what Miami defender is better than Detroit's opposite?
Ansah > Wake
LBs - Detroit> Miami
Safeties-Detroit > Miami
CBs - Detroit top 2 > Miami you can argue Slay isn't better than Grimes or Davis is better than Mathis but I still like Slay better.

I think that Ansah will be better than Wake but up until this point I can't say that. Overall, our DEs were better than their's though and I think Ansah is going to explode this season.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it amusing... had the Dolphins won it would've been another winning record team the Lions couldn't beat. Instead it was a TD pass from Stafford in a come from behind win with 36 seconds left on the scoreboard.

No Sir! Had the Dolphins held on and won that game they would have found a way to gag against a team they had no business losing to and still ended up .500.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im pretty much done with this Tannehill vs Stafford stuff but one could argue that if Caldwell keeps Linehan on board and the Lions still have the #2 defense, Staffords numbers probably would've been pretty damn high. Especially with the addition of Tate and Im sure Pettigrew and Ebron would've produced more in that system. 5000 yards and 30+ tds would've been about right.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im pretty much done with this Tannehill vs Stafford stuff but one could argue that if Caldwell keeps Linehan on board and the Lions still have the #2 defense, Staffords numbers probably would've been pretty damn high. Especially with the addition of Tate and Im sure Pettigrew and Ebron would've produced more in that system. 5000 yards and 30+ tds would've been about right.

And if your uncle had a pussy he'd be your auntie.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny man, real funny.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we still had Scotty, gave Staff a Dallasesque Oline and real RB, I'd be 87.8% sure we'd win a playoff game next year. Even without Suh.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we still had Scotty, gave Staff a Dallasesque Oline and real RB, I'd be 87.8% sure we'd win a playoff game next year. Even without Suh.

Agreed. I saw a couple sites that have Linehan ranked at top 5 offensive coordinator.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I saw a couple sites that have Linehan ranked at top 5 offensive coordinator.
Sucks that we didn't read that kind of thing when he was here. Prolly could have, he plays to his strengths for sure.

If Titus Young wasn't crazier than a shithouse rat, we prolly would have.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Suh and Calvin on any team together for 5 years other than the Lions, Browns and maybe Raiders, and they win a playoff game. Guaranteed.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't appreciate Linehan because our O-line was so bad at run blocking it made the offense 1 dimensional and the play calling fairly predictable.

That's why I like Austin so much. I doubt it would matter what his personnel looks like. He will still put together a highly rated defense. We need to find a way to keep this guy no matter what.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, what, 5 years in Detroit putting up ridiculous offensive numbers and no one gives Linehan any respect, no HC prospects, no "rankings" as a top coordinator. One season in Dallas and he's regarded as one of the best again. Figures

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't appreciate Linehan because our O-line was so bad at run blocking it made the offense 1 dimensional and the play calling fairly predictable.

That's why I like Austin so much. I doubt it would matter what his personnel looks like. He will still put together a highly rated defense. We need to find a way to keep this guy no matter what.

I'm afraid it's a no win situation unless the Lions make him HC. I guess if the D over achieves but the O struggles again and the Lions have a bad year, that's possible.

If they make the playoffs again, he gone.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what, 5 years in Detroit putting up ridiculous offensive numbers and no one gives Linehan any respect, no HC prospects, no "rankings" as a top coordinator. One season in Dallas and he's regarded as one of the best again. Figures

I think a couple college teams kicked his tires last year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think it was that at all. They gave him his props for what he did in Detroit also. He showed that he could switch teams and still maintain a good offense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the great things about Austin is that he knows how to cover up weaknesses and I think Linehan did that also. I wonder how much thought Caldwell put into keeping Linehan?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only Mayhew shared your wisdom. Instead he fired Linny and hired Lombardi.

I think Lombardi has the offense rolling this year, especially if the oline gets an upgrade and we fet a solid RB. I did a little research on first time coordinators and Lombardi's situation is real similar to how Wies started for the Jets in 1997.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lombardi has the offense rolling this year, especially if the oline gets an upgrade and we fet a solid RB. I did a little research on first time coordinators and Lombardi's situation is real similar to how Wies started for the Jets in 1997.

What sticks in my craw is the fact that he wasn't the Lions first choice for OC. Ironically, the guy they wanted, Bill Lazor, spurned them for (wait for it) Miami.

Bill Lazor hired by Dolphins, not Lions - Pride Of Detroit

Once again, it appears that the Lions have finished in second place for their preferred candidate. Much like their head coaching search after Ken Whisenhunt was hired by theTennessee Titans, the Lions now have to move on and find someone else to fill the offensive coordinator role

This shows he preferred Tannehill over Stafford for whatever reasons.

You and I butt heads over this stuff, but it's reasons above that I stick my my guns. It's not personal. It's not "trolling". It's just my observations.