• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford will be allowed to open things up

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Dolphin's fans will turn on Suh. Maybe not in a year or two but by year 3 my guess is they will turn on his bloated number and the inability of the Dolphins to keep or sign free agents. And don't don't let Suh get hurt or just be a good DT. They will be expecting JJ Watt type production every year of that deal....I sure as hell would too.

It Suh repeats what he did in Detroit then I would expect his first and the final year on his contract to out shine the rest.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh's situation with the Dolphins reminds me of the Prince Fielder situation with the Tigers.

the Dolphins fan base is very happy to get him and he will help deliver a world title....maybe but doubtful. But when it comes time to pay the piper the Dolphins will only be able to kick the can down the road and then they are going to be sitting with a guy they can't cut and can't trade.

IMO the Dolphin's fans will turn on Suh. Maybe not in a year or two but by year 3 my guess is they will turn on his bloated number and the inability of the Dolphins to keep or sign free agents. And don't don't let Suh get hurt or just be a good DT. They will be expecting JJ Watt type production every year of that deal....I sure as hell would too.

Dolphins are right on the cusp of overtaking New England just like the Lions were close to overtaking GB. That's why they both went all out to try to get him.

As far as being cap strapped, nah. The cap rises each year. We have a really good QB who will be signed long term. Just like the Lions it will come down to drafting. If Miami drafts poorly it won't work, just like it didn't work in a detroit. But if we draft well, the sky is the limit.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins are right on the cusp of overtaking New England just like the Lions were close to overtaking GB. That's why they both went all out to try to get him.

As far as being cap strapped, nah. The cap rises each year.

Thats the convenient lie fans tell themselves when they over spend. If a team drafts well and finds quality undrafted free agents then they will consistently have to give guys bigger contracts and decide what FA to keep and what FA to cut loose.

Make no mistake the Dolphins already got bent over when they lost TE Clay. Buffalo structured a deal they knew Miami could not match. Trying to be better than New England for one year doesn't make the Phins smart just desperate. 2016 and beyond the cap will not raise enough to pay Ryan Tannehill, Jordan, Pouncey, and any other young guy they want to keep. Can't see the benefit of busting the cap to roll the dice for one season when they don't have all the pieces to run the table anyway.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the convenient lie fans tell themselves when they over spend. If a team drafts well and finds quality undrafted free agents then they will consistently have to give guys bigger contracts and decide what FA to keep and what FA to cut loose.

Make no mistake the Dolphins already got bent over when they lost TE Clay. Buffalo structured a deal they knew Miami could not match. Trying to be better than New England for one year doesn't make the Phins smart just desperate. 2016 and beyond the cap will not raise enough to pay Ryan Tannehill, Jordan, Pouncey, and any other young guy they want to keep. Can't see the benefit of busting the cap to roll the dice for one season when they don't have all the pieces to run the table anyway.

Wishful thinking from jaded Lions fans. Just because your GM did this to the Lions doesn't mean it will happen it us in D-Town (D for Dolphin).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm really big on Charles Clay, I like his game a lot, and utilized him as backup in Fantasy several times the past few seasons, but do you really think he deserved the deal he got? (More guaranteed money than any other TE in the NFL. nearly 25mil.)

I know everyone is doing their best to battle Swarm, good for you guys, and good for me, it's very entertaining, but nobody can possibly consider an overpaid HBack to be a game changer, or an impact loss, Can they?

If you didn't think paying a DT crazy money, even when he's the best at his position. I find it hard to believe you can support the idea of paying a non-weapon Hback/TE nearly 8mil a year. (Even as an admitted fan of his, I'm not sure I'd put him in the top third of TE's. Atleast as far as a guy you have to try to stop. Do you honestly believe that was a smart signing by Buffalo?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone is doing their best to battle Swarm, good for you guys, and good for me, it's very entertaining

For a board full of grown men who ran and cried to the mods (you know who you are) about us talking Dolphins, they sure like talking Dolphins, eh?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really big on Charles Clay, I like his game a lot, and utilized him as backup in Fantasy several times the past few seasons, but do you really think he deserved the deal he got? (More guaranteed money than any other TE in the NFL. nearly 25mil.)

If you didn't think paying a DT crazy money, even when he's the best at his position. I find it hard to believe you can support the idea of paying a non-weapon Hback/TE nearly 8mil a year. (Even as an admitted fan of his, I'm not sure I'd put him in the top third of TE's.

Before the Dolphins acquired Stills they had Landry and Wallace as weapons for Tannehill. Very underwhelming. He was worth it for the Dolphins with their dink and dunk game. Clay is Pettigrew with better hands. Is he worth the Buffalo contract.... probably not but the point is Miami could not match and lost their main over the middle weapon. They will loose more guys like this in the coming years the cap just won't be raised enough.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishful thinking from jaded Lions fans. Just because your GM did this to the Lions doesn't mean it will happen it us in D-Town (D for Dolphin).

Funny as I hate the job Mayhew has done. Jaded as I am a Lions fan goes without saying. And watching the Dolphins make the same if not more expensive mistake is actually good as it's not just Lions management making salary cap mistakes. But the fact still remains the cap will not raise enough to support the contract to Suh, a new one to Tannehill, Stills in a few years, Dion Jordan, and possibly Landry.

If the Dolphins draft as well as a true phins fan hopes they will not be able to pay for the talent.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Dolphins acquired Stills they had Landry and Wallace as weapons for Tannehill. Very underwhelming.

And yet Tannehill had a better year last year than Stafford who has the best WR in history, and Miami has won far more games v winning teams than Detroit over the past 2 years.

He was worth it for the Dolphins with their dink and dunk game. Clay is Pettigrew with better hands. Is he worth the Buffalo contract.... probably not but the point is Miami could not match and lost their main over the middle weapon. They will loose more guys like this in the coming years the cap just won't be raised enough.

Suh makes a mere 3 million more than Calvin per year. Do you have the same concerns about losing guys like Levy, Reiff, Ansah and others?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet Tannehill had a better year last year than Stafford who has the best WR in history, and Miami has won far more games v winning teams than Detroit over the past 2 years.

Suh makes a mere 3 million more than Calvin per year. Do you have the same concerns about losing guys like Levy, Reiff, Ansah and others?
First Detroit beat Miami so they are the better team until such time as Miami can beat them. And Tannehill was pretty equal to Stafford except Stafford made the playoffs and Tannehill didn't.

And yes I am concerned Detroit will loose those guys, the difference is Calvin can be cut next year without adding much to the dead space if memory serves me right. Miami is stuck with Suh thanks to the 60 million guarantee, plus my guess is he will restructure that deal as soon as next year making him a bigger liability in a couple of years......same as he did to the Lions. Miami would be wise to not make that same mistake.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Dolphins acquired Stills they had Landry and Wallace as weapons for Tannehill. Very underwhelming. He was worth it for the Dolphins with their dink and dunk game. Clay is Pettigrew with better hands. Is he worth the Buffalo contract.... probably not but the point is Miami could not match and lost their main over the middle weapon. They will loose more guys like this in the coming years the cap just won't be raised enough.

Did they even try to match?

I don't see Clay as anywhere near the underneath weapon Landry is. (He took over late in the year. Got lost in the sea of rookie stud WRs.) But I agree on the Pettigrew comparison. he's a safety valve guy, and a very good one. (Don't get me started on Pettigrew not being utilized, ever.)

I get that Cameron has disappointed recently with Cleveland. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't have more yardage than Clay this year. Clay went to a QBless squad and JC left one. Maybe he's the third head of the monster up there with Watkins and McCoy, idk. Did steal a solid piece from a division rival, that counts for something even if they overpaid to do it.

Not many TE's floating around out there that should command that kind of guaranteed money imo.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they even try to match?

I don't see Clay as anywhere near the underneath weapon Landry is.

I get that Cameron has disappointed recently with Cleveland. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't have more yardage than Clay this year.

Not many TE's floating around out there that should command that kind of guaranteed money imo.

Short of Gronk and Graham no TE is and Buffalo has little at QB but they have to try I guess.

The Dolphins didn't match because they couldn't I believe at the beginning of FA they had 10 million in cap space and that went quickly.

As for Cameron I would avoid a guy Cleveland gave up on. They had cash and lost Gordon so it surprises me they let him go. Make you wonder like Whiz getting let go by Oakland and is still a FA.

I saw a few Dolphins games and I do think Clay was underutilized with them. He has huge upside in my opinion. to 8 million a year but I would rather he lined up on Detroit's line than any TE on the roster. Tannehill had one of the lowest YPA last season and needs that guy that can get into the middle and take a beating just can't see a wr being that guy.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Detroit beat Miami so they are the better team until such time as Miami can beat them. And Tannehill was pretty equal to Stafford except Stafford made the playoffs and Tannehill didn't.

And yes I am concerned Detroit will loose those guys, the difference is Calvin can be cut next year without adding much to the dead space if memory serves me right. Miami is stuck with Suh thanks to the 60 million guarantee, plus my guess is he will restructure that deal as soon as next year making him a bigger liability in a couple of years......same as he did to the Lions. Miami would be wise to not make that same mistake.

Tannehill is FAR more accurate than Stafford w 3 years less experience. Playoffs mean nothing since the Lions best a bunch of bad teams to get there while Miami has beaten far more winning teams last two years (6-2).

Lastly can't give the 2014 Lions credit for winning last year when their best player is now in Miami.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill is FAR more accurate than Stafford w 3 years less experience. Playoffs mean nothing since the Lions best a bunch of bad teams to get there while Miami has beaten far more winning teams last two years (6-2).

Lastly can't give the 2014 Lions credit for winning last year when their best player is now in Miami.

Shit when did Levy sign with the Dolphins!

Again the Lions beat Miami so what does that say about Miami?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit when did Levy sign with the Dolphins!

Again the Lions beat Miami so what does that say about Miami?

It says Miami is smart enough to go get the main guy responsible for that loss.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of Gronk and Graham no TE is and Buffalo has little at QB but they have to try I guess.

The Dolphins didn't match because they couldn't I believe at the beginning of FA they had 10 million in cap space and that went quickly.

As for Cameron I would avoid a guy Cleveland gave up on. They had cash and lost Gordon so it surprises me they let him go. Make you wonder like Whiz getting let go by Oakland and is still a FA.

I saw a few Dolphins games and I do think Clay was underutilized with them. He has huge upside in my opinion. to 8 million a year but I would rather he lined up on Detroit's line than any TE on the roster. Tannehill had one of the lowest YPA last season and needs that guy that can get into the middle and take a beating just can't see a wr being that guy.
I've honestly never looked at YPA rankings. Is there a bunch of starting QBs in the .2 gap between RT and Staff? Either last year or in current career marks? I really have no idea. (LP, this is a case of the lazy, stubby fingered guy wanting someone else to look up stats.)

If Clay didn't come with the pricetag I'd rather have him than any TE we have too. (If we were in ImaginaryVille, I'm making that deal yesterday.) No doubt. But we'd have to cut Tully and a couple other guys to make that happen I believe. Hard to justify a guy that low in the target pecking order getting that much.

Short of Franchise tagging guys, Cleveland doesn't have much luck retaining folks. I don't know what they could do aboot it at this point, nobody wants to play there on purpose. (Hoyer did manage to get more by leaving for Houston to be a backup, than Mallett did to stay as a starter. But he still left to be a backup.)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His cap hit is 24 mill next year. Almost 13 is dead money for 2016. It is 2017 when he only has 4.5 dead money with like 16 million saved.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with all the talk aboot the Browns on the Lions board? This is getting old dagnabbit.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats what tags are for.

Cleveland had the space just not the desire.

As for Suh,

He had two great years in Detroit his first and last. The ones sandwich in are varying degrees of good not great. Before last year Atkins was seen as 1 and Ngata as 1a. You could throw in McCoy as well. All were in the discussion. You don't pay a guy the largest defensive contract ever for good. He has got to be great.

Not sure he can live up to JJ Watt type production....or more accurately a DT will not live up to JJ Watt type production.

I have no problem with not resigning Suh to some stupid amount of cash my problem is not having a plan to address the D-Line. Miami's defense was not better than Detroit's last season so with Suh they may have a defense as good as Detroit's was last year.....and how did that end for Detroit?

Outside of Suh what Miami defender is better than Detroit's opposite?
Ansah > Wake
LBs - Detroit> Miami
Safeties-Detroit > Miami
CBs - Detroit top 2 > Miami you can argue Slay isn't better than Grimes or Davis is better than Mathis but I still like Slay better.