• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford will be allowed to open things up

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mayhew has spoiled Stafford at all. I think what we've seen is a bunch of players not working out and Mayhew continuing to try and surround Staff with some weapons. If Leshoure, Young and some of those other guys work out for this team, we wouldn't even be talking about this stuff. Broyles and Ebron probably wouldn't even be on the team. Neither would a few more.

Stafford has had the greatest WR this generation while QB's like Brady throw to scrubs like David Givens, Lafell and Troy Brown. He has had Gronk the last few years but he has been mostly injured and had Moss for 1 season. But the guy makes others around him better. Meanwhile, MM unloads millions of dollars and high draft pick after high draft pick to get weapons to make Stafford look better.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DET.png
9. Detroit Lions

What more could Matthew Stafford ask for? He's got one of the best receivers of all time, a stellar group of complementary weapons in the passing and running game and a decent offensive line. And yet Stafford completed just 60.3 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 85.7 in his sixth NFL season. Stafford has never won on the road and is 3-33 all-time against teams with winning records. Although he's well-paid, another weak season from the former No. 1 overall pick should cause the Lions to consider other options.

Quarterback Desperation Rankings: How screwed is your NFL team? - CBSSports.com

MIA.png
27. Miami Dolphins

A report from David Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel suggests the Dolphins are already discussing a long-term contract extension with 2012 first-round pickRyan Tannehill. There's no big rush with Tannehill's fifth-year option still on the table, so that's an indication Miami is extremely satisfied with the 26-year-old. His numbers have increased from year to year just like Luck's, and he competed 66.4 percent of his passes last season, so Miami looks as though it has a franchise quarterback in the early stages.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also had 41 TDs a few years ago. What does that matter? How many of these guys played 16 games last year? How good was the line last year? The running game? The play calling? I'm not trying to argue that Stafford was fantastic and everything around him was just shit but there were a lot of issues with the O last year probably the least of which was Stafford.

1 Awesome season out of 6. A model of consistency lol

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DET.png
9. Detroit Lions

What more could Matthew Stafford ask for? He's got one of the best receivers of all time, a stellar group of complementary weapons in the passing and running game and a decent offensive line. And yet Stafford completed just 60.3 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 85.7 in his sixth NFL season. Stafford has never won on the road and is 3-33 all-time against teams with winning records. Although he's well-paid, another weak season from the former No. 1 overall pick should cause the Lions to consider other options.

Quarterback Desperation Rankings: How screwed is your NFL team? - CBSSports.com

MIA.png
27. Miami Dolphins

A report from David Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel suggests the Dolphins are already discussing a long-term contract extension with 2012 first-round pickRyan Tannehill. There's no big rush with Tannehill's fifth-year option still on the table, so that's an indication Miami is extremely satisfied with the 26-year-old. His numbers have increased from year to year just like Luck's, and he competed 66.4 percent of his passes last season, so Miami looks as though it has a franchise quarterback in the early stages.

I will have to admit. This is a little Lions hater. To rank the Cardinals, Chiefs, Jags and ginger QB higher is a bit absurd.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to admit. This is a little Lions hater. To rank the Cardinals, Chiefs, Jags and ginger QB higher is a bit absurd.

Ya I agree but it's CBS. Aside from the rankings, the analysis is spot on. I'd take him over Smith,
and Palmer, but Stafford is basically a chubby brunette Andy Dalton.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get all the fighting. Whether Stafford has been spoiled or surrounded with no talent.

The fact is the team, was competitive enough to win every Sunday the last 3-4 years and the Lions still has a 3-31 record vs winning teams.

In case you didn't know, football games work like this. Defense plays, then the offense plays or vice versa. Every time the offense takes the field. The ball touches his hands 100% of the time.

Stafford isn't a terrible player by any means. He just looks to be more like Cutler than a Brett Farve.

I guess I don't get the significance of "the ball touches his hands 100% of the time" when the offense in on the field? The 40% of the time we ran the ball all Stafford had to do was turn and make a hand off. Since he touched the ball during the play are we now holding him responsible for our poor running attack last year then?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I read it was that Stafford was spoiled because of all the guys Mayhew placed around him. To me in order to be spoiled suggests an advantage that others don't possess.

Having the best WR ever his whole career AND using multiple early round picks to surround him with weapons is an advantage that others don't possess.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't get the significance of "the ball touches his hands 100% of the time" when the offense in on the field? The 40% of the time we ran the ball all Stafford had to do was turn and make a hand off. Since he touched the ball during the play are we now holding him responsible for our poor running attack last year then?

No,
The last 4 years, "including his magical 41 TD season". He has thrown 2,626 times. Produced 3 wins vs winning teams? That is ..... 2,626 throws from his arm. That is a lot of throws. In those 4 years. The Lions have been plenty competitive including 2 playoff berths. In the playoffs, all teams are winning teams though. Hence the early exits.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has had the greatest WR this generation while QB's like Brady throw to scrubs like David Givens, Lafell and Troy Brown. He has had Gronk the last few years but he has been mostly injured and had Moss for 1 season. But the guy makes others around him better. Meanwhile, MM unloads millions of dollars and high draft pick after high draft pick to get weapons to make Stafford look better.
Nothing like comparing Stafford to possibly the greatest QB of all time... :L

And then to top it off you go out of your way to make phony excuses for Brady, like saying he's only had Gronk "the last few years" and that he's been "mostly injured." He's actually had Gronk for 5 years, not 3 years, and out of 80 career games, he's missed 15 of them. I think that shows pretty clearly he wasn't "mostly injured". Also, he had Moss for 3 FULL SEASONS, and 4 games of a 4th season before he was traded, not just one year.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is pretty blatant and pathetic Stafford hating going on. Comparing him to an all-time great QB, perhaps thee all-time great QB, and then making up bullshit to make excuses for what Brady has had to work with?

This all goes back to the unrealistic expectations that too many here seem to have- they're comparing Stafford to a standard that they make up as they go- the above post is exhibit A on that one- a little truth and a whole lotta lies all designed to make Stafford look worse than he is... sad, imo...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No,
The last 4 years, "including his magical 41 TD season". He has thrown 2,626 times. Produced 3 wins vs winning teams? That is ..... 2,626 throws from his arm. That is a lot of throws. In those 4 years. The Lions have been plenty competitive including 2 playoff berths. In the playoffs, all teams are winning teams though. Hence the early exits.
The flip side of this is that you're ignoring the team around him and pinning us not winning more 100% on Stafford, not the team. There's 21 other starters out there. You're also ignoring that about 2/3 of the teams in the league would swap their starter for Stafford in a hot second...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're also ignoring that about 2/3 of the teams in the league would swap their starter for Stafford in a hot second...

Name every team and back up your argument w reasons please.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has never won on the road and is 3-33 all-time against teams with winning records.

That's adding in the 2009 season as well when Stafford inherited Matt Millen CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM, isn't it?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's adding in the 2009 season as well when Stafford inherited Matt Millen CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM, isn't it?

Who drafted Calvin? I forget.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're still on topic here, what exactly makes Brandon LaFell a scrub? He was a relitively high pick (2nd round, I think?) and put up fair numbers on a pass-first team with a mediocre passer to start out his career.

Then he hit free agency and finally was paired with a good QB and put up a career year. He's big and decently fast- I expect him to be New England's #1 receiver (although Gronk will remain their defacto #1 WR) for the next few years.

In short, I don't think he's a scrub at all. Dude is actually pretty good.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford would have been spoiled if Mayhew could have gotten him talent. Instead Stafford got head cases, injury prone guys, and some that just didn't have talent.

For everyone that bitches about Mayhew for Ebron, Broyles, Young, LeShoure, Williams, and Best then says Stafford is spoiled or sorry..... you can't have it both ways. Either you believe he has had talent to work with or he hasn't their really has been zero middle ground.

Last season was the first that Stafford really had a legit #2 and then he had the 19th lowest Yards per attempt in the NFL. It's as if the Lions transition to Caldwell's offense and Mayhews inability to find play makers has been Stafford's fault.

If Ebron rebounds, which I doubt, CJ stays healthy, and Tate doesn't fall off and Stafford has a mediocre to poor year then I will say they need to start thinking about a plan B.

As for comparing Stafford to Brady. Brady has had 1 head coach in his tenure with New England. He has had multiple pro bowl lineman. A strong running game, and some very talented WRs, including Randy Moss when he gave a shit. Not a fair comparison. I do agree he makes average receivers better but who has Stafford thrown to that has ever gone to another team and made a contribution?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone that bitches about Mayhew for Ebron, Broyles, Young, LeShoure, Williams, and Best then says Stafford is spoiled or sorry..... you can't have it both ways. Either you believe he has had talent to work with or he hasn't their really has been zero middle ground.

Yes there is. Good or not, Mayhew littered Stafford with guys taken with early picks and high priced FAs. That's the point.

Your argument is basically that Stafford would be great on almost any other team, but every other team doesn't have the luxury of having the best NFL WR ever. Makes no sense

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Stafford versus Tannehill,

Stafford was 9th in passing yards, Tannehill was 11th
TDs Tannehill was 12th, Stafford 14th
Stafford and Tannehill tied with the same # of picks
Tannehill was had a 66% completion rating, Stafford had a 60%
Tannehill attempted 590 passes, Stafford 602
Stafford was 19th in Yards per attempt, Tannehill 28th! not hard to have a higher completion rating when you are throwing an average pass only 6.86 yards.
Stafford was sacked 45 times, Tannehill 46 times.
Stafford made the playoffs, Tannehill did not

Not seeing where Tannehill has some great advantage or bigger upside. And the intangible is Stafford is signed and Tannehill is not and so the Dolphins are going to have major headaches trying to sign him and stay under the salary cap. At least Detroit doesn't have to worry about that issue.

I am not completely sold on Stafford but I would much rather have him versus Tannehill.