• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford the stud!

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, check this out!

According to pro-football-reference.com, Stafford has produced 12 game-winning, fourth-quarter drives. That’s 23 percent of his NFL starts.

It’s a higher percentage than Peyton Manning (22), Tom Brady (21) and Joe Montana (20).

Stafford has more game-winning drives than any QB other than G. Smith and Wilson.

He has reached 15,000 passing yards faster than any QB in NFL history.

I'm sure Andrew Luck could do these things :whistle:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definition of Elite: The best or most skilled members of a group. A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior status

I'm having a good time with this (mainly because I have time right now to have a good time with this). :laugh3:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to pro-football-reference.com, Stafford has produced 12 game-winning, fourth-quarter drives. That’s 23 percent of his NFL starts.

It’s a higher percentage than Peyton Manning (22), Tom Brady (21) and Joe Montana (20).

Stafford has more game-winning drives than any QB other than G. Smith and Wilson.

He has reached 15,000 passing yards faster than any QB in NFL history.

Passing yards is great, but now that its a passing league its hard to measure how great until we get enough of a sample size. Now that 300 yard passing games are the norm around the NFL. One of he reasons staff has so many comebacks is because he and the rest of the team lies dormant for 3/4ths of the game. Therein lies one of m biggest issues with staff. Hes still way too inconsistent to be considered elite or a top five qb.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Luck has 9 4thQ/GW drives in 23 games. That's 39% of all of his games.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of he reasons staff has so many comebacks is because he and the rest of the team lies dormant for 3/4ths of the game. Therein lies one of m biggest issues with staff. Hes still way too inconsistent to be considered elite or a top five qb.

I know guys will try to rationalize things, but there's no way around it. It doesn't matter if the team is dormat for most of the game and he comes back and wins it. That's what he's supposed to do, right? Why isn't this same logic applied to any other qb that comes back at the end? I'll give you "inconsistent", but to me, it still seems as if his play is right in line with most of the great qbs right now. He's putting up yards and scoring pretty consistently, but is having a small problem with accuracy right now. Show me who has been more consistent as a qb right now and not as a team? Most of you put wins directly on the qbs shoulders and, well....Stafford has the team right in the mix, fighting for the division. He's got.....some of the best numbers, which shows me consistency.....even with a few struggles.

Stafford has elite status right now. If not, show me and explain why not.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Luck has 9 4thQ/GW drives in 23 games. That's 39% of all of his games.

Sure he does.....over a smaller sample size sir. lol.
Stafford has missed over a season and a half of football.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That GW stat can be a funny one at least over the short term. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great QB but you have to question the value of a stat where Geno Smith is leading.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he still is only 3 short of Staff and he's played less than half as many games. GW drives are great, but that stat can be misleading. One thing it usually means is that your team was down through 3 quarters a lot.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definition of inconsistent: Not regular or predictable; erratic

I think we all know what we're getting out of Stafford every game. I think the question is with the rest of the team. This applies to the defense, who's going to step up at Wr, the coaches, etc. This question should be applied to Stafford: Has he consistently improved over the course of his career as a player and a leader?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were all in the same draft class I think they would have gone Luck, Stafford, Bradford. Now that they are in the NFL I would want them on my team as Stafford, Luck, Bradford. That's my opinion anyway.

Andrew Luck is like 18 months younger than Stafford, so while not huge.. It's not just a year like most people suggest.. With that said I agree with the order if they were all in the same draft class.. Also I think his early injury history play a part as well.. Luck has a little more upside as mentioned already, but right now at this moment, Stafford is the better QB..

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this has been covered already, since I'm still catching up on this, but Stafford is only a year older than Luck. Just sayin'.
18 months older but point taken...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of he reasons staff has so many comebacks is because he and the rest of the team lies dormant for 3/4ths of the game. Therein lies one of m biggest issues with staff. Hes still way too inconsistent to be considered elite or a top five qb.

I know guys will try to rationalize things, but there's no way around it. It doesn't matter if the team is dormat for most of the game and he comes back and wins it. That's what he's supposed to do, right? Why isn't this same logic applied to any other qb that comes back at the end? I'll give you "inconsistent", but to me, it still seems as if his play is right in line with most of the great qbs right now. He's putting up yards and scoring pretty consistently, but is having a small problem with accuracy right now. Show me who has been more consistent as a qb right now and not as a team? Most of you put wins directly on the qbs shoulders and, well....Stafford has the team right in the mix, fighting for the division. He's got.....some of the best numbers, which shows me consistency.....even with a few struggles.

Stafford has elite status right now. If not, show me and explain why not.
He's 9-15 since the start of last season. And 5-11 since the midway point of last year. Im happy were 5-3(it's exactly what I assumed our record would be) but I have a hard time taking you guys very serious when you use descriptive terms like "great", "elite", and "future Hall of Famer". (When you say best numbers am I supposed to just ignore the 21 TDs and 17 picks last year when the lions won 4 games? Or the month without a passing TD to his own team when we lost all four of those games?)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That GW stat can be a funny one at least over the short term. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great QB but you have to question the value of a stat where Geno Smith is leading.

LOL. This may be true but we cannot praise one guy for doing it and not give props to another. Geno hasn't been awful but he hasn't been real good either.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question should be applied to Stafford: Has he consistently improved over the course of his career as a player and a leader?

He took a step back last season by any measure. He's back on track this season.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said elite or Future HOFer.. I'm saying he is certainly the best QB we've had in a long time, and I honestly don't see too many scenarios which we could have had better.. All hindsight, but that draft wasn't all that great and Stafford ended up being the right choice in the long run.. Personally I think he's close to elite, but he needs to be more consistent season to season.. It's pretty clear to me.. I'm not the biggest fan of his sidearms either, but in certain situations it actually accomplishes completion, where a traditional through wouldn't, so I can't completely knock him either..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That doesn't make me feel better about him.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took a step back last season by any measure. He's back on track this season.

I agree, progression argument doesn't apply with Stafford.. If 2 years ago was his peak that's not all bad.. Certainly should be more consistent though..

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 9-15 since the start of last season. And 5-11 since the midway point of last year. Im happy were 5-3(it's exactly what I assumed our record would be) but I have a hard time taking you guys very serious when you use descriptive terms like "great", "elite", and "future Hall of Famer". (When you say best numbers am I supposed to just ignore the 21 TDs and 17 picks last year when the lions won 4 games? Or the month without a passing TD to his own team when we lost all four of those games?)

I get what you're saying Smitty, but I'm not the type to pin all the loses on the QB like most people do. I would defend any QB in this situation. I think he's elite, but I don't know about future Hall of Fame because a lot goes into that. But I think it's reasonable to assume he'll get there if he continues to do what he's doing. Stafford had a really bad year last year, but that doesn't mean anything. People praise Eli because he has a ring but look at the guy now. Which is it? Is he good because he has a SB ring or is he bad since he's throwing tons of picks?

You can definitely find some areas on each great qb's career to pick them apart about. Rodgers wasn't playing real great for a couple weeks in a row and nobody says anything. Brees had a slump. Rivers has definitely seen some bad days. So, when you say these things about Stafford, how is it any different or worse than the others?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why Stafford can't be called "great".. Not everyone is saying "elite", but he certainly is close or has a good chance to become one..