• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurrier a lousy farkin quitter

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer BUILT Virginia Tech, and they're still calling for his head. I don't think it'd be smart for them to fire him but building a program doesn't get you a lifetime contract
Most aren't asking for him to be fired though.....i think everyone just thinks it's time for him to ride into the sunset and bow out on good terms for both sides before it gets to be a Bowden situation. I think Beamer really wants to end things on a good note with a conference championship birth one more time but i don't think he will get that and retires after this season or next. I can't possibly fathom him staying any longer than next year regardless of how things work out.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear he's coming to OU as a "special advisor"....thinks Bobby could use some help.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Spurrier: A great but graceless winner
Posted : 8 hours ago

"Five or six more years: That’s how long Steve Spurrier was telling recruits he’d be at South Carolina after it was suggested – by this correspondent, but not only by this correspondent – that he wouldn’t stick around much longer. He made it through six more games, four of them losses. Then he quit.

He’s not sticking around the way he’d told those recruits he would. He’s not even seeing out this season with the players he’d taken to camp in August. He’s gone-daddy-gone. He’s gone because he’s Steve Spurrier, a graceless winner and a terrible loser. He’s gone because, even as he was becoming one of college football’s best-ever coaches, his triumphs were about the greater glory of Stephen Orr Spurrier.

In his farewell comments Tuesday, he made it a point to say he’s not retiring. He’s resigning. He might, he said, go coach a high school team. He said this as he was quitting on the team he’d assembled.

I’m sorry. I know this will come off as mean-spirited. I know I’m supposed to be like everyone else in the media community and say, “I’m really going to miss the Head Ball Coach.” And I will, kind of. But even as we’re sifting through our Favorite Spurrier Moments, please note the common denominator: Everything was done with a smirk.

To wit: ESPN.com compiled a list of 16 memorable Spurrier quotes; of those, a dozen were jabs at someone or something. (Not one for self-deprecation, our Steve.) This wasn’t just his public persona. This was – and presumably is – Steve Spurrier.

Apologies for dropping names, but I visited with Vince and Barbara Dooley while in Athens on Monday. Spurrier’s name arose. We spoke of how wretched South Carolina was this season and wondered how much longer he’d be around. Not long, we agreed. Little did we know …

Steve-Spurrier-by-Brant-Sanderlin-AJC-UGA-vs.-South-Carolina-2015-DRC_3095_asjojm.jpg
Steve Spurrier in his last game against Georgia. His team lost. (Brant Sanderlin)
Vince, who actually likes Spurrier, told this story: He and Barbara were in New York several years ago for the College Football Hall of Fame banquet and were sitting with Mr. and Mrs. Spurrier. (Barbara describes Jerri Spurrier as “a saint,” FYI.) The four were having a pleasant conversation when Spurrier, apropos of nothing, said to Dooley, “I’m closing in on your SEC record.”

Dooley was then third, behind Bear Bryant and Johnny Vaught, in career conference victories; Spurrier would indeed pass him and Vaught. But that’s not the point. This is: What successful coach speaks that way to a peer? Did Mike Krzyzewski say to Bobby Knight, “I’m closing in on your record for wins?” Successful coaches tend to let winning speak for itself.

Only Spurrier would have said such a thing. It wasn’t enough for him to win: He had to keep reminding us of how much he’d won. Even after losing to Georgia 52-20 in Athens last month, he mentioned that South Carolina had still beaten the Bulldogs four of the past six years. You know, just in case anyone had forgotten.

Over the past few hours, I’ve seen Spurrier characterized as “a class act.” He wasn’t. He was a great coach, but he wasn’t a classy one. He ran up the score. He chortled at the loser’s expense. His press conferences were often described as “hilarious.” They weren’t. They were amusing, yes, but they weren’t fall-down-laughing funny in the way a Jim Valvano briefing could be. (That line about the Auburn library fire and the coloring books is older than Spurrier, who’s 70.)

What was striking about a Spurrier session wasn’t the quality of wit but the rarity of what we were seeing/hearing. For both better and worse, nobody else did what he did. I say again: What successful coach tweaks his vanquished opponents? Does Krzyzewski gig Wake Forest? And if your opponents were so dim-witted, doesn’t that diminish the achievement of vanquishing them? Why couldn’t a coach of such surpassing excellence be content with being surpassingly excellent?

It stood to reason that any coach – not that there are any quite like Spurrier – who flaunted winning would be hypersensitive to losing. Sure enough, the two times things didn’t go Spurrier’s way, he did what coaches are forever urging their players never to do: He quit. He bailed after two losing seasons with the Washington Redskins. Now he’s gone after six games, four of them losses. As long as he was winning and strutting, coaching was a gas. When it became clear he couldn’t win/strut, he’d head for the beach.

What I wrote/said over the summer was misconstrued, mostly by Spurrier himself. I never suggested he was too old to coach. I wondered if he could stand to lose big, and I was pretty sure I knew the answer. He conceded the point Tuesday, essentially saying he was leaving because losing was no fun. Imagine that.

It’s weird, but one of the few times I’ve ever been right just happened to be about the Evil Genius. I guess I should thank him for that. So here it is: Thanks, E.G. And I will miss you, kind of. But you did lose two of your final three games against Georgia."

Steve Spurrier: A great but graceless winner

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's earned it, to quit on his terms. The man is 70 years old and probably tired and ready to do something else. I don't blame him either.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Retirement.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the LSU vs. USC game...When Miles and Spurrier met to shake hands...Spurrier must have told Miles of his decision because Miles had a shocked look on his face and he then reached out to Spurrier and pulled him back towards him and said something in his ear. When Spurrier pulled away he looked to be saying Thank you.

Not sure what Miles told him but I understand they are friends.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it wrong? Well put the shoe on the other foot, what if it were a USC player quitting in the middle of the seaso..... o nevermind, hello Mr. Clowney

Bayou Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think CFB is losing one of the men who make CFB so interesting. I for one will miss seeing the Ole' Ball Coach on the sidelines. He was certainly a character and made the game that much more interesting.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think CFB is losing one of the men who make CFB so interesting. I for one will miss seeing the Ole' Ball Coach on the sidelines. He was certainly a character and made the game that much more interesting.
totally agree, he is a disgrace for bailing out on his team mid year but then that's what also made him what he was so...

Bayou Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally agree, he is a disgrace for bailing out on his team mid year but then that's what also made him what he was so...

Well to be fair, he is 70 years old and may not be able to spend an entire game standing on the sidelines without shitting his pants, so there is that to consider...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says "I'm resigning, not retiring...I might go coach a High School team, or something."

Way to run out on your team when they need you the most, asshole!

Naaahhhh, I get it...he just doesn't have it anymore. This is way better than limping through a lost season, losing potential recruits who don't want to commit to a program in an uncertain situation, etc.

Kirby Smart has been mentioned as someone that the University will pursue. Whoever it is, they will have their work cut out for them, and huge shoes to fill.

I'll be in my stall crying for the next week.
K7d.gif

PS: You don't want Kirby Smart, he's nothing without Saban. :whistle:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 40024

PS: You don't want Kirby Smart, he's nothing without Saban. :whistle:
Nice tryyyyyyy....

But he's probably messed up somehow, like all the rest of your coaching staff. I guess we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice tryyyyyyy....

But he's probably messed up somehow, like all the rest of your coaching staff. I guess we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

To be 100% honest, I'd be more upset about losing our S&C coach, whom I'm told is very tight with Kirby and likely to go wherever he goes.

Not that I don't love Kirby etc, but I think it's one place where we can lose and be ok because Saban is always going to have a huge hand in the defense.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching some clips from his presser i think this is about recruiting....even though he said last year he was staying around i think everyone knew this was his last year. its one thing to hand over a ten win team another entirely to hand over a losing team. best to let usc get a head start on his replacement and keep major recruits intrigued with the new hire possibilities.....

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
duke_steve_spurrier_updated.jpg

I believe it reasonable to note that before he became "Darth Visor", he was a hat fella.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Told all you Cocks when Spurrier took over in Carolina that he would never win you the SEC title because he refuses to get off the golf course and recruit like other head coaches do... I WIN!!!!:yes:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching some clips from his presser i think this is about recruiting....even though he said last year he was staying around i think everyone knew this was his last year. its one thing to hand over a ten win team another entirely to hand over a losing team. best to let usc get a head start on his replacement and keep major recruits intrigued with the new hire possibilities.....

That was my take when the first thread was posted, and after hearing his press conference it was pretty much confirmed. When asked about another college job he specifically mentioned recruiting.

You look at Clemson's success and South Carolina's decline and it wasn't going to get any easier.

After what I heard about Dooley and Tennessee in his last year, I think it was a smart move to leave now.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football turns its coaches into cult figures and then wrings its hands when those coaches act like they are, er, cult figures.

I'm glad the guy is leaving; we need fewer characters like him, not more. Perhaps a side benefit of the "cost of attendance" rules that will end up giving the players more money is that the schools might be forced to pay the coaches less. Less money=slightly reduced egos. That's a win!

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if there's more to this story. It looks to me like a "Resign or be fired" scenario, or maybe he or his wife has health issues. It seems out of character for him to just quit in the middle of the season.