• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank the SEC Jobs

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same deal as the Big 12. Focusing less on 2020 and more about the strength of each job.

Here's my take:

1. Alabama - That "A" means a lot to football players. It represents dominance and the college football dynasty of their lifetime. They have everything you could possibly want to build your program up. #1 job in the SEC and the country.

2. LSU - They don't have quite the same recent track record as Alabama but they have everything you need here as well. I also like that LSU has the ability to recruit east Texas.

3. Georgia - Georgia has made it's self a national title contender under Kirby. They've made the upgrades to the program that are necessary for them to compete at a national level. They are also in a great spot for recruiting. GA is growing quickly. They are nearby to Florida and the Carolinas.

4. Florida - Very close to GA and I imagine this will upset some Gator fans. I went back and forth but Florida's facilities have lagged behind (despite the recent upgrades). If they commit more to winning in the future, they could easily surpass Georgia and LSU. They have better local recruiting but they have stiffer in-state competition. It's still an elite job. If you get the rights guys there, they will win championships.

5. Auburn - They would perhaps be higher if they didn't have to play Alabama, LSU and Georgia every year. They have everything you could want they just have a historic dynasty in their own state and play in the toughest division in college football.

6. Texas A&M - Similar to Auburn except they don't have the same recent success. They have a ton of money and top notch facilities and being in Texas, you would think recruiting would be no problem. However, competition in Texas for recruits it cut throat.

7. Tennessee - Lots of fan support and dedication from the administration. The Vols have fallen on hard times for the last decade but you have everything you need here to win. Recruiting won't be a problem given their proximity to the gulf states, north Georgia, Nashville, etc.

8. South Carolina - They won't go away. Despite not having a whole lot of historical success, their fanbase and facilities are there. They are in a good location for recruiting. If you find the right coach, you can win here as well.

9 Kentucky - Wildcats have surprisingly good fan support for a program without a lot of historical success. Their recruiting is no longer in the basement of the SEC, they've climbed the ladder recently.

10. Ole Miss - It's a good job. Just tough in comparison to their divisional opponents. It makes consistent winning difficult.

11. Mississippi State - It's honestly very close to the Ole Miss job. One could even make the argument to switch these. But like I said, it's close.

12. Arkansas - Arkansas has very good facilities but the in-state talent is usually pretty weak. Arkansas is fighting an up hill battle, especially in the SEC West.

13. Missouri - It's not a terrible job, it just seems a little out of place. They used to recruit Texas when they were in the Big 12 but the move to the SEC made that harder for them to do.

14. Vanderbilt - Undoubtedly the toughest job in the SEC. They simply don't have the support or resources that other schools in the SEC have.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put Arkansas right after Tennessee. While lately it hasn't looked too swift, those hog callers are good supporters IMHO. It is a more attractive job than USCjr, Kentucky, and the Miss schools.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14. Vanderbilt - Is one of the top academic universities in the nation while at the same time competing in the top athletic conference in the nation. Alumnus of NFL legend Smokin' Jay Cutler.

There, I fixed it for you.

This thread is almost an hour old and hasn't filled up with B1G fanbois yet? Slow day, huh?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on recruiting area and most everything else is even:

2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. LSU - Only because they have State to themselves
5. Auburn

Bama would still have top spot due to success but I wouldn't wish that HC job on anyone. The Auburn coach can still go to dinner n most of the state but it's hard for Nick Saban to play a round of golf at a private club without stupid shit going on.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take:

8. South Carolina - They won't go away. Despite not having a whole lot of historical success, their fanbase and facilities are there. They are in a good location for recruiting. If you find the right coach, you can win here as well.
Tell me about it :sigh:

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like herpes

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put Arkansas right after Tennessee. While lately it hasn't looked too swift, those hog callers are good supporters IMHO. It is a more attractive job than USCjr, Kentucky, and the Miss schools.

5 years ago I would have objected to being behind the Mississippi schools, Kentucky and South Carolina when we've arguably had more success in the SEC than them but can't really argue anymore after we've been so terrible lately. Outside of Vandy I really don't think there's that much difference between the lower half SEC schools, any of them can win 8-10 games pretty often with the right coach. Petrino did it here, Mullen at MSU, Freeze at OM, Spurrier did it at SC and Stoops is even on a good run at Kentucky. There was a time I thought we were about even with A&M as a program (we lead the overall series 41-32 even though they've won 8 in a row) but with the way they're recruiting lately I'm not sure about that.

I get that we don't have much in-state talent but we still recruit around the same as Ole Miss and Mississippi State in the 20-30 range. Slightly worse than South Carolina but better than Missouri and Kentucky typically. I just wish we could recruit Texas like Oregon recruits California. Oregon doesn't have much in-state talent either but they recruit Cali like crazy ever since Chip Kelly made them a "cool" program. I guess Walmart and Jerry Jones aren't hip boosters like Nike is lol. Chad Morris actually did a hell of a job signing more 4-stars than we've ever signed in one class in 2019, if only he just wasn't such a terrible coach.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Florida - Very close to GA and I imagine this will upset some Gator fans.
I agree with Georgia being a better job than Florida. The job is easier since there is no expectation of winning a national championship.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this ranking is from a new coaches standpoint, I don't think Alabama could be #1. The pressure put on that job after Saban is going to be incredibly intense. Sure it has a lot going for it, but the expectations will likely be too high and unrealistic.

I think the best job in the SEC is Georgia. Great location, obviously all the support you need, very reasonable expectations, especially for all the resources and access to in state talent that you have, and you're in the SEC East, not West.

I'd put Florida at 2. Seems to be the same sort of boat as Georgia, but the problem with Florida is your state is constantly invaded by other major programs for recruits, and you also share your state with FSU, Miami, and growing other programs like UCF.

3 is LSU. They own the state of Louisiana and Louisiana produces amazing recruits. Relatively decent expectations, at least compared to Alabama. They are sort of on the same level as Alabama, but it just feels like LSU is more reasonable when it comes to what they expect, and again they have access to a lot.

4. Alabama. Already spoke about them, but the expectations for an incoming coach will just be too much. Unless that next coach is Dabo Swinney, where name alone and his recent success at Clemson and that he is an Alabama guy, I don't see whoever fills that spot lasting more than 3-4 years. You don't want to be the guy after the guy.

5. Tennessee. Money, SEC East, support, history, tradition, seemingly reasonable expectations now after years of being bad to mediocre. Downside is lack of in state recruits and having to play Alabama every year as your cross division rival. But them being in the East puts them ahead of the other West schools because they don't have to play all the other West teams, just Alabama.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: didn’t read.

Any variation of Georgia/Florida/LSU in 1/2/3.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this ranking is from a new coaches standpoint, I don't think Alabama could be #1. The pressure put on that job after Saban is going to be incredibly intense. Sure it has a lot going for it, but the expectations will likely be too high and unrealistic.

I think the best job in the SEC is Georgia. Great location, obviously all the support you need, very reasonable expectations, especially for all the resources and access to in state talent that you have, and you're in the SEC East, not West.

I'd put Florida at 2. Seems to be the same sort of boat as Georgia, but the problem with Florida is your state is constantly invaded by other major programs for recruits, and you also share your state with FSU, Miami, and growing other programs like UCF.

3 is LSU. They own the state of Louisiana and Louisiana produces amazing recruits. Relatively decent expectations, at least compared to Alabama. They are sort of on the same level as Alabama, but it just feels like LSU is more reasonable when it comes to what they expect, and again they have access to a lot.

4. Alabama. Already spoke about them, but the expectations for an incoming coach will just be too much. Unless that next coach is Dabo Swinney, where name alone and his recent success at Clemson and that he is an Alabama guy, I don't see whoever fills that spot lasting more than 3-4 years. You don't want to be the guy after the guy.

5. Tennessee. Money, SEC East, support, history, tradition, seemingly reasonable expectations now after years of being bad to mediocre. Downside is lack of in state recruits and having to play Alabama every year as your cross division rival. But them being in the East puts them ahead of the other West schools because they don't have to play all the other West teams, just Alabama.

The right person for the Alabama job isn’t going to worry about the pressure of expectations. Look at what Ryan Day is doing at Ohio State

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right person for the Alabama job isn’t going to worry about the pressure of expectations. Look at what Ryan Day is doing at Ohio State
Ryan Day has been there for one year. Not saying he is a bad coach or a great coach. Larry Coker won a title with Miami in year 1.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Day has been there for one year. Not saying he is a bad coach or a great coach. Larry Coker won a title with Miami in year 1.

Ryan Day is taking Ohio States recruiting round another level, which seemed impossible when he took over. It’s early but everything is pointing towards Ryan Day having a lot of success at Ohio State

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should rank the SEC cities.

Dead last? LSU followed by Miss. State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn
At the top? Vandy followed by Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vandy is poo in all facets.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vandy isnt in the pac
True, though it's much better suited to that environment vs. the SEC's overwhelming emphasis on athletics.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vandy is poo in all facets.
Coming from an LSU fan, that's downright articulate. I was expecting something more along the lines of "Vandy's a doo doo head."

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should rank the SEC cities.

Dead last? LSU followed by Miss. State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn
At the top? Vandy followed by Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee
Oxford is a nice town, and it would be in any state, not just nice for Mississippi