• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spider-Man: Spider-Verse 1: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones in particular? Just curious.

I didn’t like the Batman one with Damian. I think it was called bad blood. It was ok. Nothing special

probably my standards got too high...

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it last night. I liked it. More tongue-in-cheek that a lot of the super hero movies lately. The younger kids need something to watch too.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this today. I liked it.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this yesterday with a friend. It was a fun movie. Much better than I expected.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just caught this today, very well done. i now really want to see a live action version of spider-man noir with Nick Cage, Peter B. Parker with Jake Johnson, a cartoon with Peter Porker, etc...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finally got to watch this this morning, very fucking good

loved the animation style. Reminded me of Viewtiful Joe on I think PS2.

Like Taddy said, they could really spin off this and make movies for any of the characters, Spider Gwen being the most likely candidate.

Tons of easter eggs throughout and just solid all the way around. Recommended.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only caught 15 minutes of this and I need to wait for my wife to finish this up so this movie is almost a social experiment of mine to see how it takes my wife to recommend a movie that says Spider-man on it and is nothing like the Spider-man.

If you're going to do a move about Miles, do a movie about Miles. Its pretty clear the strategy is to slowly integrate him into all of the properties so that you don't alienate the old farts but in doing so you can't actually tell if he can sink or swim on his own merits as a character.

I will say that the art style in this is phenomenal.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was feeling generous and bought it for my kids without ever seeing it. We all watched it and it was straight awesome. I thought it was going to be weird or stupid or just too childish for myself, but no, it was top to bottom pretty freaking great.

As I mentioned in another thread, I didn't understand why Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture, I thought it was good, but it isn't great... hell, it isn't even the best Marvel movie... hell, it wasn't the best Marvel movie of 2018 in my opinion. However, if Spider-man Into The Spider-verse was nominated for Best Picture, I probably would have voted for it. It was really good. Granted, the only nominees that I have seen are Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite things to do is walk by a wall of comics and see the diversity of stories, heroes, and most importantly visual design. I feel like this movie lives up to that standard and there are so many geek-out moments when watching this.

When the movie is good, it focuses on Morales. This makes the first half of the movie seem like an incredible origin story and the second half of the movie a bit of a slog. Its a roller coaster ride that seems to take forever to get to its inevitable conclusion.

I think its great that we have a black Spider-man but I wouldn't fully champion this as a progressive movie. I don't think there is a single conversation with a woman talking to another woman in the whole movie, for example. Also having Morales and Gwen's origin story involve them replacing Peter Parker in their universe seems like the kind of zero-sum diversity that is probably too toxic for 2019.

The sheer volume of characters in this movie is impressive, though, even if many of them are underdeveloped. It definitely opens the door for side projects or more importantly makes people curious enough to go buy their respective comics which I suspect is the plan all along.

But I'm over-analyzing. Its a Spider-man movie with lots of really witty dialogue and its a visual orgy. It has a lot of good messages and seems like something that can be enjoyed by kids and adults.

This is an easy grade - B+

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renter the blue ray and am watching it now.

Fun story and well put together. I like the animation, except they didn’t clean the 3D out before sticking it on blueray. The action scenes are blurry because the 3D. It actually really takes me out of the scenes.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renter the blue ray and am watching it now.

Fun story and well put together. I like the animation, except they didn’t clean the 3D out before sticking it on blueray. The action scenes are blurry because the 3D. It actually really takes me out of the scenes.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about(I remember people commentating on that when they saw the 2D version in theaters) then that was a design choice, the animators did it on purpose to give it a certain comic book look.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was feeling generous and bought it for my kids without ever seeing it. We all watched it and it was straight awesome. I thought it was going to be weird or stupid or just too childish for myself, but no, it was top to bottom pretty freaking great.

As I mentioned in another thread, I didn't understand why Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture, I thought it was good, but it isn't great... hell, it isn't even the best Marvel movie... hell, it wasn't the best Marvel movie of 2018 in my opinion. However, if Spider-man Into The Spider-verse was nominated for Best Picture, I probably would have voted for it. It was really good. Granted, the only nominees that I have seen are Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther.
has an animated movie ever been nominated for Best Picture? They have their own category and this won for best Animated movie...not sure it can get the nod for both...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has an animated movie ever been nominated for Best Picture? They have their own category and this won for best Animated movie...not sure it can get the nod for both...
'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Up' are the only two that I know of.

A google search also shows 'Toy Story 3'

So its a recent trend to at least consider them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Up' are the only two that I know of.

A google search also shows 'Toy Story 3'

So its a recent trend to at least consider them.