• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Bears draft Bryce Young or CJ Stroud?

Should Da Bears trade Fields, and draft a QB?

• Yes, draft Bryce Young

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes, draft CJ Stroud

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, draft Will Levis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, build around Fields

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would trade for him? Someone mentioned the Redskins, but why waste all those WRs? Way too big a project to dish out high picks for.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think his work ethic is the issue? Nope, that is not the case. If he doesn’t improve his ability to read the field that isn’t something he can’t just change even with great work ethic. It’s mental…sure you can improve but some guys have it and some guys don’t. His issues have nothing to do with work ethic.
Also, I don’t get people saying they don’t trust Ohio St QB’s.

How many Ohio St QB’s were supposed to be great in the NFL?

Pryor-converted to WR. Never had potential as a QB.
Braxton Milller - same
Barrett - undrafted. He couldn’t throw in college
Haskins - he was way overdrafted. He was a rd 2-3 guy and needed a lot of developing.
Cardale jones - had a great, short run in college then started less than a year. Never had a high potential.
Fields - great talent but I saw him immediately as a project QB. I said when drafted it would be good for him if he sat behind a veteran QB for a couple years and he had a lot of issues.

As you can see from the list. You can point out one guy on the list that was eventually supposed to be something in the NFL. All of these guys were under Urban except Fields. So lets see how a QB can do under Day. Stroud is still a project but he is easily the best passer of all those guys and it isn’t clclose
The conversation around Haskins was upside. It's pretty close to how people talk about Richardson in this draft, tbh. Or Jordan Love. Or Trey Lance. Sometimes it works out and sometimes you just set your pick on fire.

Fields was compared to Cam as a runner and Wentz as a passer iirc. I think he could have gone top 5 in a weaker draft but I don't think Nagy was the guy to develop him. He wasn't a Chiefs/Eagles guy. You want a Niners/Titans mindset there.

Stroud is getting compared to Goff, Derek Carr, etc. He is much closer to a traditional NFL QB prospect imo.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about acknowledging the overwhelming lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball?

Not JF's fault his o-line isn't good. How are the wr's, te's & rb's? Are any of them near pro bowl caliber? Before last years draft heard daBears were the only team in the league that didn't have a 1st rounder starting on the o-line.

Starting over with a rookie QB is taking a step backwards.

And don't take this the wrong way, got nothing against them and Soldier Field is on a very short list of stadiums I'd like to see a game at.

But JF isn't the main problem right now, like I already mentioned it's lack of talent.
It would be a pass the buck situation. The Bears need offensive playmakers. They need a defense. Fields was one of the few bright spots for them. I just look at how my guy Josh Allen developed, when they got Diggs, or even when the Patriots got Randy Moss for Tom Brady. Or how about Jalen Hurts with the Eagles? I think it would be a good idea, to draft a QB, just not one of the big four. You could get big value out of Hooker, McKee, Duggan or Hall.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only major benefit I can see if the Bears did draft Young/Stroud, while trading Fields would be that they'd have a QB on their rookie deal for at least 4 more years...

If the Bears view that as the ideal situation while they rebuild this team, I can see them doing that for this reason alone..

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only major benefit I can see if the Bears did draft Young/Stroud, while trading Fields would be that they'd have a QB on their rookie deal for at least 4 more years...

If the Bears view that as the ideal situation while they rebuild this team, I can see them doing that for this reason alone..
That’s why I voted trade Fields. They can hit the reset button on their rebuild with tons of cap available. Of course, this also leans on the Bears scouts making the evaluation that Young or Stroud is a better prospect for them with a plan for how to develop him. Additionally, you can bring back some draft capital with a trade of Fields. I would say he’s likely not worth a first but likely a 2nd and a 3rd. Bears need talent.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a pass the buck situation. The Bears need offensive playmakers. They need a defense. Fields was one of the few bright spots for them. I just look at how my guy Josh Allen developed, when they got Diggs, or even when the Patriots got Randy Moss for Tom Brady. Or how about Jalen Hurts with the Eagles? I think it would be a good idea, to draft a QB, just not one of the big four. You could get big value out of Hooker, McKee, Duggan or Hall.
Good point on Hurts. I don’t want to take anything away from Hurts or the men who played a role in his development. At the same time, adding AJ Brown was impactful in Hurts taking a big step forward. His presence also helped DeVonta Smith and Dallas Goedert. Long story short…there’s no substitution for talent and game changing weapons. Bears are in need of those guys on both sides of the ball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Fields on the redskins and watch what happens.
I think that’s a strong spot for him. They have weapons on that offense. They run a play action oriented attack. Andy Reid ball (connecting this with Bienemy) has always leaned on play action. Washington needs some work on their OL but they can bridge the gap in developing, signing, or drafting that improvement with Fields mobility.

The biggest transition Fields needs to make is when plays break down instead of immediately going to rush the ball in his mind, he needs to understand that greatest threat is using his legs to extend so he can make a play down the field. I would sell him on this opportunity also provides a QB opportunity because these throws don’t entail tight windows. If a play is extended to 4-5 seconds, one of the weapons will run away or get lost in coverage. Bienemy has coached that with Mahomes. Of course, Mahomes is one of a kind and much of what we see on Sunday’s is innate second nature to him but it’s also likely that Bienemy has learned how to coach that in players through working with him.

Fields to the Commanders could be down right scary. We hate each other’s teams but I think we can agree that collectively, we want to see him go elsewhere.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Odd that the Bears are thinking about getting rid what might be the only real playmakers on offense.

But if they get rid of JF hope he ends up with a better team than where he's at now.

Josh Allen. Oh man don't get me started! Been following his career since he was at Wyoming. I wanted my team to draft him # 3.

Quick what I consider a funny story. When I told some of my family & friends back home in NE Ohio I wanted the Browns to draft Allen most laughed at me and said he didn't play at a big enough program.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are likely about 10-12 teams where adding Fields would be an improvement on their existing QB situation.
Are you saying Denver will trade for him? Or the Packers? The Panthers have a chance to get their own QB that wasn't messed up by the Bears for 2 years or that might need some goofy offense just to be average. The Redskins would be improved more by adding a veteran for their old coach and stop gap OC. So who? Think McDaniels wants to bother with Fields in Vegas? The Niners? Pfffft.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying Denver will trade for him? Or the Packers? The Panthers have a chance to get their own QB that wasn't messed up by the Bears for 2 years or that might need some goofy offense just to be average. The Redskins would be improved more by adding a veteran for their old coach and stop gap OC. So who? Think McDaniels wants to bother with Fields in Vegas? The Niners? Pfffft.
Teams that improve their QB situation when they add Fields:
- Jets
- Raiders
- Texans
- Commanders
- Falcons
- Saints
- Panthers
- Bucs
-Titans
- Colts

Fields is better than the current QB1 on their roster. Some will be in a position to draft another QB. Some will be in a cap position to sign Derek Carr. But there aren’t enough franchise QBs on the market or in the draft. Some one will be giving guys like Minshew and Jacoby Brissett a chance to win a job. Fields is a better option than these others.

You also forget about the level of confidence and borderline arrogance NFL coaches need to possess to rise to the level of success they have in the industry. They honestly believe they have the message, the principles, and the magic to turn the guy around. His skill set is tantalizing. If you can get him dialed in to doing a handful of things well and build from there you could have something really good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that’s a strong spot for him. They have weapons on that offense. They run a play action oriented attack. Andy Reid ball (connecting this with Bienemy) has always leaned on play action. Washington needs some work on their OL but they can bridge the gap in developing, signing, or drafting that improvement with Fields mobility.

The biggest transition Fields needs to make is when plays break down instead of immediately going to rush the ball in his mind, he needs to understand that greatest threat is using his legs to extend so he can make a play down the field. I would sell him on this opportunity also provides a QB opportunity because these throws don’t entail tight windows. If a play is extended to 4-5 seconds, one of the weapons will run away or get lost in coverage. Bienemy has coached that with Mahomes. Of course, Mahomes is one of a kind and much of what we see on Sunday’s is innate second nature to him but it’s also likely that Bienemy has learned how to coach that in players through working with him.

Fields to the Commanders could be down right scary. We hate each other’s teams but I think we can agree that collectively, we want to see him go elsewhere.
I kinda think you're missing the obvious thing here and that is Rivera and his time with Cam Newton. He is literally the most qualified coach to deal with Fields in terms of figuring out what he can and can't do.

Honestly, Bienemy is a bit of an enigma. Best I can tell, he watches an obsessive amount of tape and he seems to have a good handle at figuring out who can play. I'm not fully sure how much he actually brings to a team beyond that but I guess we'll find out.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields is the worst passer in the league.

Can’t pay him the money he gets for being a running back. And it’s not going to magically change in year three of his pro career.

Whoever gave him a vote for MVP isn’t even funny.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda think you're missing the obvious thing here and that is Rivera and his time with Cam Newton. He is literally the most qualified coach to deal with Fields in terms of figuring out what he can and can't do.

Honestly, Bienemy is a bit of an enigma. Best I can tell, he watches an obsessive amount of tape and he seems to have a good handle at figuring out who can play. I'm not fully sure how much he actually brings to a team beyond that but I guess we'll find out.
Great point on Cam. This is gonna be my last Fields/Commanders post because scared to shit I’m gonna speak it into existence haha.

On your 2nd paragraph, you’ve tapped into why he had to move on. Whether it’s perception or reality Reid was seen as his crutch. If he wants to advance he really needed to move on.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can’t pay him the money he gets for being a running back. And it’s not going to magically change in year three of his pro career.

I said the same thing about 2021 Hurts. Hurts spent his off season with QB guru Tom House. Hurts literally improved on metrics that I didn’t think were improvable. The NFL is a copycat league. This guy House is going to have people knocking down his door. I bet both parties would benefit from working together.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your view here is cloudy at best.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda think you're missing the obvious thing here and that is Rivera and his time with Cam Newton. He is literally the most qualified coach to deal with Fields in terms of figuring out what he can and can't
Really?

No

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point on Cam. This is gonna be my last Fields/Commanders post because scared to shit I’m gonna speak it into existence haha.

On your 2nd paragraph, you’ve tapped into why he had to move on. Whether it’s perception or reality Reid was seen as his crutch. If he wants to advance he really needed to move on.
Yeah, as a Chiefs fan I would've liked to see EB stay on the team but its not hard to see why he moved on.

This type of thing is pretty moot, though. The Bears are sticking with Fields based on what they'd been doing the past few months. I think the real question looking at the poll results is whether or not Young's size will keep him from going #1