• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Bears draft Bryce Young or CJ Stroud?

Should Da Bears trade Fields, and draft a QB?

• Yes, draft Bryce Young

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes, draft CJ Stroud

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, draft Will Levis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, build around Fields

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed to see more improvement from Fields last year as a passer. Going into third year he needs to take that step. Personally, I cannot see any Ohio state quarterback making it in the nfl until someone proves me wrong, and Stroud is even leaving after his sophomore season, which means he most likely is 2-3 years away. I think Levis will get the quickest positives in the NFL, and Richardson will be the best long term from this draft, and you do not need the 1 pick to get either of them unless they put Stroud and Young to shame at the combine.

Its a problem. How do you draft a white quarterback in Levis to replace Fields in 2 years, and why do you get another one with the same basic attributes as him as his replacement?

Sad part is, 2 years when they have to take the fifth year option, they wont be in this position to get their pick of the litter, but there may be better quarterbacks in that draft.

I think Richardson will be a bust. Everyone thinks they're going to draft the next josh Allen now. The strides he made are just a total outlier. Same thing with Levis.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did have over 1,000 yards rushing in college with 19 tds. Ohio state had designed runs. I don't think it's that binary.

Day is pretty much the anti Urban Meyer in terms of utilizing the qb in running packages. Day had some for Fields but as we see he could've done more.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud and Young would be in the same situation as fields. They would both be set up for failure because there’s no talent on the Bears offense right now. They are going to need help badly at all positions on offense… Fields was not known as a runner in college, but a passer. In the NFL it’s flipped because he’s running for his life all of the time. The same situation would happen to Young and Stroud, imo…

It’s best to trade down and accumulate pics and just stock pile talent on that team.
In college Fields being a 1 read QB wasnt an issue

Because when you're standing behind 5 NFL OL and throwing to 3 1st rd WRs vs Rutgers and MD CBs that 1st read is going to be open pretty much always

That's not the case in the NFL

The Bears OL ranked 14th last year per PFF so this " oh his line sucks" stuff is largely false which is further proved by the fact completely immobile QBs like Foles/Dalton/Siemian get sacked about half as often as Fields does standong behind the same OL all while using the Bears WRs MUCHHH more effectively

Here's the truth

Fields either cant read defebse or he doesn't trust his read progressions

Which means as soon as that first read isn't open he panics and starts moving in the pocket. This leads to him holding onto the ball wayyyyyy too long as evidenced by his 33rd ranked release rate

But as he's moving around behind the line of scrimmage he's not looking to pass. He's looking to run. Which is why he gets sacked so often and also why he gets so many rush yards

Simply put he's not a good QB. At all. He's actually pretty awful.

BUT he's got talent, size, speed and a good arm

So the only question is if a team thinks they can fix him AND if he's willing to put in the work to get fixed

The history of the NFL is littered with super talented guys who were too lazy to work hard because they thought their talent would be enough and by the time they figured out it wasn't it was too late

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day is pretty much the anti Urban Meyer in terms of utilizing the qb in running packages. Day had some for Fields but as we see he could've done more.
Fields did have a lot of success with the deep pass in college. I'm just not sure how the Bears are supposed to get WR talent. Not a great FA class or draft...although I guess it's a deep draft. Not sure rookie WRs will help Fields next year, though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what they can get for Fields.
Yeah that is the main point and secondly, what are they going to do different to help Young then Fields. Are they still going to give him a lack of weapons and no OL? The goal in a trade and the start of the rebuild if they did trade Fields would be to get Young and star WR and then start building up the OL asap.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields did have a lot of success with the deep pass in college. I'm just not sure how the Bears are supposed to get WR talent. Not a great FA class or draft...although I guess it's a deep draft. Not sure rookie WRs will help Fields next year, though.

Day is much more deep ball oriented and "pro style" (not even sure what that means anymore) so yea...Fields was challenged to make throws whereas even Haskins played in a much more spread the field and let the athletes make the play type of offense like Urban utilized.

I just know had Urban coached Fields he'd have had way more rushing yards.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed to see more improvement from Fields last year as a passer. Going into third year he needs to take that step. Personally, I cannot see any Ohio state quarterback making it in the nfl until someone proves me wrong, and Stroud is even leaving after his sophomore season, which means he most likely is 2-3 years away. I think Levis will get the quickest positives in the NFL, and Richardson will be the best long term from this draft, and you do not need the 1 pick to get either of them unless they put Stroud and Young to shame at the combine.

Its a problem. How do you draft a white quarterback in Levis to replace Fields in 2 years, and why do you get another one with the same basic attributes as him as his replacement?

Sad part is, 2 years when they have to take the fifth year option, they wont be in this position to get their pick of the litter, but there may be better quarterbacks in that draft.

How about acknowledging the overwhelming lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball?

Not JF's fault his o-line isn't good. How are the wr's, te's & rb's? Are any of them near pro bowl caliber? Before last years draft heard daBears were the only team in the league that didn't have a 1st rounder starting on the o-line.

Starting over with a rookie QB is taking a step backwards.

And don't take this the wrong way, got nothing against them and Soldier Field is on a very short list of stadiums I'd like to see a game at.

But JF isn't the main problem right now, like I already mentioned it's lack of talent.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Richardson is the biggest project in this draft, he needs to stay at Florida another year. Right now he is nothing more than a backup. He has Jordan Love written all over him.
As far as Levis, teams are hoping he is the next Josh Allen and unfortunately they will probably be disappointed. Allen had one of the best turnarounds in NFL history.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be frank

Young is a shrimp and he's going to get killed in the NFL

If he had played at Missouri instead of Bama he'd by a 5th round draft pick because he would've been surrounded by mediocre talent and looked mediocre in college so his size would be a much bigger deal

It's not just that he's shortm he's also slim. He will get brutalized in the NFL
They said the same about Tarkington back in the day with regards to size, and they played real football in those days.

Wonder why football scouts aren't as smart as you. You have it all figured out.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson is the biggest project in this draft, he needs to stay at Florida another year. Right now he is nothing more than a backup. He has Jordan Love written all over him.
As far as Levis, teams are hoping he is the next Josh Allen and unfortunately they will probably be disappointed. Allen had one of the best turnarounds in NFL history.
Imo Richardson is more analogous to Josh Allen than Levis. Richardson is way more raw and younger so developing is a real possibility.

Levis is who he will be in the NFL. Hopefully your team can field a better team than Kentucky

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In college Fields being a 1 read QB wasnt an issue

Because when you're standing behind 5 NFL OL and throwing to 3 1st rd WRs vs Rutgers and MD CBs that 1st read is going to be open pretty much always

That's not the case in the NFL

The Bears OL ranked 14th last year per PFF so this " oh his line sucks" stuff is largely false which is further proved by the fact completely immobile QBs like Foles/Dalton/Siemian get sacked about half as often as Fields does standong behind the same OL all while using the Bears WRs MUCHHH more effectively

Here's the truth

Fields either cant read defebse or he doesn't trust his read progressions

Which means as soon as that first read isn't open he panics and starts moving in the pocket. This leads to him holding onto the ball wayyyyyy too long as evidenced by his 33rd ranked release rate

But as he's moving around behind the line of scrimmage he's not looking to pass. He's looking to run. Which is why he gets sacked so often and also why he gets so many rush yards

Simply put he's not a good QB. At all. He's actually pretty awful.

BUT he's got talent, size, speed and a good arm

So the only question is if a team thinks they can fix him AND if he's willing to put in the work to get fixed

The history of the NFL is littered with super talented guys who were too lazy to work hard because they thought their talent would be enough and by the time they figured out it wasn't it was too late
You think his work ethic is the issue? Nope, that is not the case. If he doesn’t improve his ability to read the field that isn’t something he can’t just change even with great work ethic. It’s mental…sure you can improve but some guys have it and some guys don’t. His issues have nothing to do with work ethic.
Also, I don’t get people saying they don’t trust Ohio St QB’s.

How many Ohio St QB’s were supposed to be great in the NFL?

Pryor-converted to WR. Never had potential as a QB.
Braxton Milller - same
Barrett - undrafted. He couldn’t throw in college
Haskins - he was way overdrafted. He was a rd 2-3 guy and needed a lot of developing.
Cardale jones - had a great, short run in college then started less than a year. Never had a high potential.
Fields - great talent but I saw him immediately as a project QB. I said when drafted it would be good for him if he sat behind a veteran QB for a couple years and he had a lot of issues.

As you can see from the list. You can point out one guy on the list that was eventually supposed to be something in the NFL. All of these guys were under Urban except Fields. So lets see how a QB can do under Day. Stroud is still a project but he is easily the best passer of all those guys and it isn’t close.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo Richardson is more analogous to Josh Allen than Levis. Richardson is way more raw and younger so developing is a real possibility.

Levis is who he will be in the NFL. Hopefully your team can field a better team than Kentucky
Definitely could be compared to Allen as well but I saw a couple moments in college that were amazing plays, extremely inconsistent. Very low possibility and if it happens it is likely in 3-4 years. Just not a fan

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think his work ethic is the issue? Nope, that is not the case. If he doesn’t improve his ability to read the field that isn’t something he can just change even with great work ethic. It’s mental…sure you can improve but some guys have it and some guys don’t. His issues have nothing to do with work ethic.

Braxton Milller - same
Haskins - he was way overdrafted. He was a rd 2-3 guy and needed a lot of developing.
Cardale jones - had a great, short run in college then started less than a year. Never had a high potential.
Fields - great talent but I saw him immediately as a project QB. I said when drafted it would be good for him if he sat behind a veteran QB for a couple years and he had a lot of issues.

As you can see from the list. You can point out one guy on the list that was eventually supposed to be something in the NFL. All of these guys were under Urban except Fields. So lets see how a QB can do under Day. Stroud is still a project but he is easily the best passer of all those guys and it isn’t close.

A lot of that is because of how Urban and Tress utilized the position as well. Pryor had a fucked up release from day one but there is no way had Urban had Stroud would CJ be the passer he is today.

But I do think Urban was better suited for Fields.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bears only have 1-2 years before fields starts getting expensive

Their roster is not ready for that.

Trade fields to fill out the roster and restart your timeline

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah an Allen turnaround is rare.

There are Allen’s in every draft, yet only one of them flipped into Josh Allen

The odds are quite low

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same about Tarkington back in the day with regards to size, and they played real football in those days.

Wonder why football scouts aren't as smart as you. You have it all figured out.
Yarkenton was 6 ft 200 pounds posting vs guy who were, on average, much smaller and slower than guys now . Like 50+ pounds smaller on average

Young us smaller than Tarkenton and playing much much bigger, stronger and faster players

As to the scouting point the scouts look at talent. Young has plenty of that.

But it's not going to matter of he's not on the field

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think his work ethic is the issue? Nope, that is not the case. If he doesn’t improve his ability to read the field that isn’t something he can’t just change even with great work ethic. It’s mental…sure you can improve but some guys have it and some guys don’t. His issues have nothing to do with work ethic.

Braxton Milller - same

I mean i HOPE its just his work ethic for his sake

Because if he simply isn't smart enough to read defenses then that's not something fixable which means this is who he is as a QB and who he will always be

And if that's the case then he won't be long for the league as athleticism is the first thing to go usually

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Braxton Milller - same

Fields and Haskins

I really liked Haskins, dude picked everyone apart

Fields was an elite athlete and flashed the big time throw talent that had him projected as a top 5 pick pre season

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have faith in Fields that he will get it figured out. He may not have a meteoric rise and be a top 5 QB but I think he’ll be a competent starting QB in the league. I have less faith in the Bears organization to hone and develop him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yarkenton was 6 ft 200 pounds posting vs guy who were, on average, much smaller and slower than guys now . Like 50+ pounds
LOL..You still don't know what you don't know. Were you alive in the 60's...cause it wasn't the size, it was how the game was played.