• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Sherman shutup?

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to disagree with you that it keeps him from getting the respect he deserves and I think Sherman would also. He spoken many times that he got shafted in the draft because he didn't get the PR that some other players did. He is making sure that doesn't happen again. Jikkle was point on about the matter.

See here's were I would disagree, primary source would be that 100 player ranking (which I'm not sure is legit) but Sherman should have been top 25 to me. The only player who might be better at his position would be Revis and who knows how he will play once he comes back. I think he talks so much in order to gain national spot light he otherwise wouldn't get simply because he plays in Alaska. (sport writers can be so lazy sometimes). It's the reason why people like skip can get away claiming they have never heard of him until. I think (if that 100 is true) it's his mouth that kept him from being lower.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it sounds like you agree with me.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever I see someone outside of Seattle talk about Sherman it's never in a positive light. What I'm trying to say is that it seems like his smack talk makes people think about his mouth, not his ability.

I agree. It's not a good thing when most people outside of your immediate fanbase know you more for the things you say than for how well you play. Matt Hasselbeck was a really good quarterback back in the day, but for the rest of his career after the Green Bay playoff game, people outside of Seattle could never get past his "We want the ball and we're gonna score" comment and see him as a really good quarterback. Now, he says he was joking around and I believe him, and he was not known as a particularly big talker, but this one instance followed him around for the rest of his career here and overshadowed his play to a pretty big degree outside of his immediate fanbase. My fear with Sherman is that his smack talk, both on the field and off, is going to overshadow what he does on the field, particularly if any receiver has a good day against him. I want him to be known as a great corner, but if he keeps doing this stuff, he's going to be known as a great talker first and foremost.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they think about his mouth first, but it forces them to look at his performance and he does perform. Sherman felt like he performed in college but nobody noticed. There are many players that perform on the field that get overlooked due to various reasons...a dog team...being on small market team, or what ever. Sherman has spoken on this issue many times, believe me, he feels you need make people look and examine your performance in order to get the credit it deserves. That is exactly what he's doing. He made use of his Stanford education.

He definitely won't be overlooked if he's a shutdown corner on a perennial playoff/championship contending team. There are/were a lot of guys in the league who get/got noticed for being one of the best players on one of the best teams every year and they don't/didn't have to get into verbal skirmishes to do it. Their play stood out well enough. The fact of the matter is that he's starting to gain a reputation outside of Seattle as a guy who likes to shoot his mouth off and draw attention to himself, and he's talented enough that he doesn't have to be "that guy" to get noticed. I understand that he felt under-appreciated/disrespected/unnoticed at Stanford, so I understand his motivation for drawing attention to himself, but if he keeps this up his play is going to be completely overshadowed by the things he says, which I don't think was his intent.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, I don't really care whether he talks or not. He's a great CB who is helping SEA even be relevant in the eyes of the national media by opening his piehole. If he is willing to take on the reprocussions of his mouth either on the field or off with negative publicity from the media, then keep talking, I doesn't bother me.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else get a kick out of seeing some Sherman video that does not include its specific audio? Perhaps there are commentators or a music soundtrack playing instead. You see that mouth yapping "blah blah blah !!" almost looking like a cartoon character or animated charicature. Seattle Globetrotters.

Really doesn't matter what he is saying, you just know that it would take a lot of tolerance to not react to whichever challenge he was throwing at you.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also want to state that if I was a close friend of Sherman's I'd tell him to shut his mouth. He's actually a pretty smart guy believe it or not, but when you think of guys who talk a bunch of smack you instantly associate the stigma of him being an idiot.

I just don't like that Sherman is known so much for his mouth. It makes him look like a bad guy when he really is not.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I totally agree that Sherman is a sharp dude. I also think it's his nature to run his mouth.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I totally agree that Sherman is a sharp dude. I also think it's his nature to run his mouth.

Last season was the first time I can remember his talking even being a topic of conversation, though. Does anyone else remember it being much of an issue before last season? Maybe he was waiting until he felt like he had established himself as a player before he really started in on the trash talk or maybe he'd been doing it the whole time and it wasn't until he established himself that the media started paying attention to it.

Also, to seahawksfan's point... when you think of the real trash talkers in the league just in recent memory, they were generally viewed as distractions or selfish guys or just plain old loudmouths. We're talking about some Hall of Fame players here, too... Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, T.O., Moss... all of them were fantastic players during their careers, but they were all known as much for their trash talk and off the field drama as for their play on the field, especially those last two guys. Now, maybe they had a right to be cocky given how great they all were as players, but you can't mention any of their names without thinking about the stuff they said and did off the field. As I said before, if he wants to talk when he's out on the field and it doesn't become a detriment to the team, more power to him, but I could do without the off-season stuff. It doesn't help his game to do that and it's not something I like to see players make headlines for.

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To those that know a little about Sherm, they are aware he is very committed to his community, his upbringing, Seahawk fans, and his team mates.
I have no problem with his smack as long as he shows it on the field. To me, it was apparent once he got playing time that he was going to go down as the best CB we ever had.

Wow you guys are so quick to put banters on your players, Sherman, Wilson etc.... Lets see them do it over a length of time before you start declaring their greatness.....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow you guys are so quick to put banters on your players, Sherman, Wilson etc.... Lets see them do it over a length of time before you start declaring their greatness.....

So we should wait until it's a given fact? Never understood that line of thinking. Wait until they prove and then claim...I knew all along?

How about giving your 2 cents before it happens. If your wrong , you can eat crow and if your right, then you can truly say...I told you so!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we should wait until it's a given fact? Never understood that line of thinking. Wait until they prove and then claim...I knew all along?

How about giving your 2 cents before it happens. If your wrong , you can eat crow and if your right, then you can truly say...I told you so!

There are many things to consider here. For one, it's hard in this day and age of players switching teams via free agency, to dub a player as being the best at his position in franchise history before he even completes his first pro contract, because that first contract, for one reason or another, might be the only contract that player ever signs with that particular team. I want Sherman to re-sign with the Seahawks and to do it as soon as possible, but with all of the other players the Seahawks will likely want to re-sign to long-term deals between now and when Sherman becomes a free agent after the 2014 season, both they and Sherman will have a lot of thinking to do between now and then about what they want to do.

For instance, will the Seahawks, in an effort to get all of those players under contract long-term, ask Sherman to take less than he could get on the open market to make that happen or will they consider him to be one of the cornerstones of the team and offer him a bigger contract at the expense of someone else's offer? The Hawks aren't going to be able to sign all of these guys for max money, so some of them are going to have to take discounts if they want to stay here. There's a decent chance they may not all want to do that, though.

If they do ask Sherman to give them a discount in order to get those other players signed, will he take that deal for the betterment of the team and an extended chance to win or will he feel under-appreciated (much like he did when he felt like he was better than a lot, if not all, of the corners taken ahead of him in the draft and was ultimately drafted in the 5th round) and bolt to a team willing to pay him more? It's easy to say that he'll do what's best for the team and he doesn't seem like the money-grubbing type, but there have been a lot of players over the years that people felt would take a chance to win over the money, but who chose to take the money instead (Alex Rodriguez leaving Seattle ring any bells?). I don't want him to be one of those guys, but we have to be open to the possibility that he will be.

Then there's the possibility of injury (knock on wood that doesn't happen) or decline or even just the league figuring him out, none of which are impossible scenarios. Like I said, I would love it if Sherman ended up being that good, but there are some legitimate reasons to hold off on any lofty predictions after just two years. It's not about not wanting to be bold and possibly wrong, it's about being realistic. The days when you could count on a player spending his entire career in one place, therefore making it easier to make proclamations like this, are largely gone. There are still exceptions, but they are fewer and fewer in number these days.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think on any given team you need a combination of the loud boastful type and the silent leaders. We have a great mix of personalities in my opinion.

Sure, Sherman is a talker...but we also have Earl and Cam in our backfield who are much more subdued and every bit as good.

The Seahawks have gotten a bad rap lately (mainly among the fans of other teams) but I love our group of guys. We have a lot more good character guys than bad.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think on any given team you need a combination of the loud boastful type and the silent leaders. We have a great mix of personalities in my opinion.

Sure, Sherman is a talker...but we also have Earl and Cam in our backfield who are much more subdued and every bit as good.

The Seahawks have gotten a bad rap lately (mainly among the fans of other teams) but I love our group of guys. We have a lot more good character guys than bad.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record for saying this, but I have little problem with his talking on the field if he backs it up with his play. The talking off the field, to me, is unnecessary because it takes the focus off of what the team is doing on the field (or at least what they're doing personnel-wise if it's the off-season) and puts it squarely on one guy. Sherman's a smart guy and I was hoping he would tone it down after figuring out that the media likes to try to bait guys that they think they can get a juicy quote out of. It looks like he has done that, but we'll see what he says in future interviews.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude is a troll and nothing more. Sure, he's a good corner but instead of backing his talk up with his play he likes to interject his name into any conversation and have people thinking he had HIS own island. Talk trash on the field as long as you back it up. Talking trash outside the scope of football is classless.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude is a troll and nothing more. Sure, he's a good corner but instead of backing his talk up with his play he likes to interject his name into any conversation and have people thinking he had HIS own island. Talk trash on the field as long as you back it up. Talking trash outside the scope of football is classless.

Sherman is a PR machine. He felt he got shafted in the draft due to lack of PR, he's said as much many times. Has he stepped over the line? Perhaps at times. Would I like him to tone it down? A tad bit sure.

At the end of day, it's his play on the field that matters. I'm confident that he's going have his best season in 2013.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman is a PR machine. He felt he got shafted in the draft due to lack of PR, he's said as much many times. Has he stepped over the line? Perhaps at times. Would I like him to tone it down? A tad bit sure.

At the end of day, it's his play on the field that matters. I'm confident that he's going have his best season in 2013.

He's a good player no doubt. That being said, with the adderall suspension that was Ryan Brauned, you would think one would at least be quiet for awhile. He was yapping his mouth immediately there after. Make no mistake about it, if he were a Niner I would love him as a player but not his mouth.

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, keep talking Sherman!!!!!!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he could of done a better job on the Bayless diatribe. He kind of loss his sense of humor on that gig. Didn't come across that well.

I don't know about bring on the clowns, but let the players be themselves. If you watch the RRR you know that Sherman is being himself when he is being a loudmouth, he's got to keep his sense of humor when he's going off IMO.

I kinda cringed when I watched Sherman and Skip's back and forth too. I understood what Sherman was going for but I just felt like his approach was all wrong. I like the trash talking side of Sherman, but I was actually hoping the world would've been able to see his fun and playful side on First Take.

There's so many ways he could have used his wit and humor to embarrass Skip but he chose to be on the offensive and ultimately I think it just helped the haters confirm everything they've been spewing about him on the internet.

Overall though...I'm fine with Sherman being Sherman. You can't expect a player to be something that he's not. I was more than ok with his twitter battle with Revis. I actually found a lot of his jabs at him to be hilarious...and while the Revis die hards and the 49er fans won't admit it...Sherman won that bout by a long shot. The Tom Brady thing was classic too. In those instances we saw Sherman display his sense of humor.

If he does more of that and does less of what we saw on First Take then I'm fine with it. At this point though people are going to start seeing Sherman as a gimmick if he continuously gets attention for things non-football related. If I'm Sherman I lay low for a while and make some noise on the football field this 2013-2014 season first before jumping out to engage in anything that will draw attention towards him.