• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Green Bay Packers

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Eddie Lacy -
Though we don't know exactly how the run game will pan out this season - and the Packers were surprisingly stout against the run last year - it isn't uncommon for player to have breakout games against their former teams. Rawls may be held out as a precaution, just to make sure his ankle is 100% when he comes back, so Lacy could see a lot of carries against his former team (which is something that could be taken into consideration when evaluating Rawls for return this week) - and the Hawks really need a good start in the running game this season.

Sheldon Richardson - Richardson will be looked to as an upgrade in the interior line that has struggled the last couple seasons to provide consistent pressure up the middle. He will be looked to even more than normal with Jarran Reed being out this week. If he can provide Seattle with solid run defense, while giving opposing QBs pressure up the middle - this defense will be very scary to face.

Earl Thomas - The physical and emotional leader of the Hawks defense, the unit wasn't the same after he went out last season. Having him healthy with the rest of the LOB will keep this back half of the defense as deadly as ever.

Negatives:

Aaron Rodgers -
I usually dislike putting QBs in the focus of the game - as it seems so cliché - but Rodgers is one of those few who makes every player around him so much better that the team is never truly out of a game. He's athletic, accurate and makes great decisions - and his 4:1 TD:INT ratio is fabulous (5.25:1 over the last 6 years). The Seattle defense will face one of the best QBs out the gate this year.

Lambeau Field - Green Bay has been a house of horrors for the Seahawks, who haven't won in Wisconsin since 1999 (which is 7 straight, and they're 3-10 overall). the average score of those contests being 32-14. If Seattle wants to get a win right out the gate - they're gonna have to do it in a place where they haven't traditionally played well.

Martellus Bennett - Seattle has had issues with TEs for the last few years, sometimes just getting destroyed by them. Bennett is a solid receiving TE who had a great game against Seattle last year (7-102-0). Seattle will have to cover everyone on the field with a QB like Rodgers, but that will become increasingly more difficult if they allow the TEs to hurt them.

Matchups:

Michael Bennett/Frank Clark vs. Kyle Murphy
- With Brian Bulaga being a longshot in the game this week, Bennett and Clark will be facing a backup at the right tackle position. Getting pressure on the QB is important against anyone, but to beat guys like Rodgers, it's imperative. Bennett, Clark and company need to put pressure on Rodgers and the Packer offensive line.

Rees Odhiambo vs. Clay Matthews/Nick Perry - Seattle's offensive line has been a weak link for years - and just downright awful the last 2. Losing Fant hurts, as Odhiambo is now moved to the position of LT. Odhiambo will be charged with keeping the Packers' outside rushers from getting to Wilson's blindside. Seattle needs improved play from their line if they want to return to their 2013/2014 form.

Jeremy Lane/Shaquill Griffin/Nieko Thorpe vs. Jordy Nelson/Davante Adams/Randall Cobb - Rodgers has famously avoided Sherman over the years, and if he does so again, it'll be up to the other CBs from Seattle to keep the Packers' offensive firepower at WR in check - which is a tall order since the Packers boast some of the best WRs in the league.

Overview:

The first game of the season usually doesn't hold much importance, but this one could decide playoff seeding and could be one of the toughest tests each team will face this season. Green Bay has taken both games the teams have played since the onside fumble - both being in Lambeau. This will mark the fifth time these two teams have met since the start of the 2014 season - with the home team taking all 4 of the previous contests. Both teams want to get out of the first game with a win, and to not have any injuries. Here's to a great season!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope to see our dline break rodgers and hope our ol doesnt get wilson killed

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB was middle of the pack vs the run last year. They gave up 4 ypc. It's just that only 5 teams had fewer attempts per game, so their per game yardage made them look better than they were. As a comparison, the Hawks gave up 3.4 per carry, best in the league.

Big game from the jump. It's 1 of 16, but certainly you want to hang a loss on your rivals. It's more or less worth a game and a half for playoff seeding. GB is a tough place to play for sure, and the Hawks have not had success there since the late 90s. Last year we had no ET and a hobbled RW as well as injuries to our entire group of RBs, so I'm liking the fact we come in pretty much 100% healthy for this one. If Richardson is as advertised, that could give us the bump we need up front to make life tough(er) on Rodgers.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems crazy that HFA could be riding on the outcome of the week 1 game. But, as Captain Obvious once said, they count as much in September as they do in December. So, I pose a question: does anyone think there will be a two-win difference between Seattle's regular season win total this year, and Green Bay's? In other words, if the Seahawks finished with 11 wins, would Green Bay only have 9 or as much as 13? If you think their respective win totals will be closer than that, then you can see that there is a ton of shit riding on this game today.

In recent seasons, Green Bay has started out slow. I can only hope that that trend continues. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, they have also started out slow - at least, the OL has. And I can only hope that that trend is over.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulaga listed as questionable.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a couple of concerns for the game.

O-line protecting RW and opening up lanes for our RBs and D-line getting pressure on AR. If they can succeed keeping AR off balance and Hawks control the clock, Seattle can win this ballgame.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Bulaga plays he will be limited with the ankle injury which will allow Bennett to have the best game of his career with three sacks one ff and 7 tackles.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will get destroyed both cm3 and Perry are injured so the pack will have no pass rusher. RW will have all day to throw

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks 35 Packers 17

Lacy 100 yards rushing 1 td
Wilson 325 yards passing 4 tds 60 rush yards
Baldwin 145 yards and 2 tds
Jimmy 100 yards 2 tds
Bennett 3 sacks
Earl 2 ints

Rodgers 250 yards 2 td 2 int 5 sacks -35 rush yards
Ty Montgomery 55 yards rushing 0 td
Jordy Nelson 40 yards 1 td
Bennett 65 Yards 1 td

Last edited:

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Great Dayne.

Here is to a game with no season or career ending injuries

May the Best team win

:suds:
Get ready for both Bennett's to play well. Injuries are inevitable for us especially on defense. You guys must attack CB House who hasn't played much in preseason and Randall who is a garbage cb. Run to the outside because our interior dline is the best in the NFL. Run to Matthews side since he's now a little bitch and can't stop the run.

Hawks win easy

Enjoy the win

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. No way Pete is throwing that much if they're up like 3 scores.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW with a bomb TD first drive. Rodgers with a pick six today.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 1999 is behind us. Here we go.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Lockett back... Great kick return...

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for both Bennett's to play well. Injuries are inevitable for us especially on defense. You guys must attack CB House who hasn't played much in preseason and Randall who is a garbage cb. Run to the outside because our interior dline is the best in the NFL. Run to Matthews side since he's now a little bitch and can't stop the run.

Hawks win easy

Enjoy the win

Yeah Right. You will be here later promoting the GREATNESS of the Pack and AR.