• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Sherman shutup?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Sherman's trash talk is it all feels so manufactured and calculated and he feels more like that wrestling heel that knows how to work a crowd. He says enough to rile people up but nothing too over the top and inflammatory that crosses any lines.

Kudos to him because it works. He's far more attention and looks if he completely kept his mouth shut.

Are people in the media even bother comparing him to Revis if he doesn't come out and runs his mouth about being better than Revis?

And the whole Skip Bayless thing he knew exactly what he was doing. Skip Bayless in a sense plays the "heel" on First Take so it made Skip the perfect target because he knew that there is a large segment of people that don't like Bayless and would love to see Bayless get taken to task. If he pulled that on anyone else especially someone respected in the media he would get the brunt of the bad pub.

All of this so it pays off come contract negation time. Get your name out there as much as possible, build hype around it, which puts pressure on ownership to get a deal done because suddenly you've become a star player, and now you have more leverage in contract talks.

Ha, yeah I would have cringed a bit if Sherman had been saying that to anyone else, but because it was Skip Bayless I just laughed. I think you're totally right about Sherm in general though. He knows what he's doing and all the trash he talks serves a purpose. He's just trying to rustle some jimmies if you know what i mean. Trent Williams and Roddy White are prime examples. He got an emotional response out of both of them and just laughed it off.

CortezTheKilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherm can keep talking all he wants. I see his trash talk as his way of motivating himself. He talks because he feels disrespected, and then uses that as motivation to work harder and play better. If he uses all this offseason trash talk and disrespect by Darelle Revis, Skip Bayless, Jim Harbaugh, and whoever else to motivate himself to train harder and prepare for the coming season with the same intensity it inspired him to play with on gamedays, then to me that's just him being who he is. I love how hard he plays, and if he needs to talk to get himself geared up to that level, he can keep talking.

On a related topic, Skip Bayless is the TV anchor equilvalent of a annoying troll, and deserved completely the flaming he got as a result.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no.

Change someone as a person and you risk changing them as a player.

As a guy that was once his age, I can guarantee that he will learn to pick his fights more wisely as he ages.

But as a player, this kid has all the tools to be an all-pro type player for years. I really could not care less what people from around the country think of him. If they want to judge a player off of what he says rather than what he does on the field then they really should turn off ESPN and stick to TMZ.

With social media being an almost dominant form of communication, we tend to believe that we know who people are based on individual statements, often void of context.

I prefer to look at a player's relationship with his teammates on and off the field to judge him as a person, and it's obvious Sherman's teammates have his back. Most have said that they love his talking when asked about it. Looking at his interaction with them is a better characterization of who he truly is than a couple statements out of many.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It Is What It Is

Sherman will be Sherman, so we might as well enjoy it. I happen to LOVE it. I love when he said that some people like to let sleeping dogs lie but he likes to wake them up and slap them in the face and have them attack. (I was GassySmurf on ESPN.com and I posted that thread that apparently got deleted).

Richard Sherman is very METAL, IMO.

TruHoxFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the off the field chatter is taking the focus off of the positive direction the team is going in and putting the focus squarely on what he's going to say next and who he's going to say it to or about.[/QUOTE said:
Exactly the kind of thing needed so the rest of the league isn't so in tune with what the team is doing until it's too late.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman will be Sherman, so we might as well enjoy it. I happen to LOVE it. I love when he said that some people like to let sleeping dogs lie but he likes to wake them up and slap them in the face and have them attack. (I was GassySmurf on ESPN.com and I posted that thread that apparently got deleted).

Richard Sherman is very METAL, IMO.

Welcome Perpetual_Beast_Mode! Also thanks for saying who you were on ESPN. I always appreciate it when posters do that.

FYI you have to have 20 post before being able to start a thread( Got to keep the Spam away!). That dang simple to do, just start responding to some of the threads. Good to see you here!