• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see your Rosie O'Bannon and raise you a Dennis Anne Conway:
kellyanne-conway-denis-leary.jpg

Denis Leary acknowledges he looks exactly like Kellyanne Conway

There is also a group of people trying to convince Steve Buscemi to play Melania on SNL.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Trump bump continues with both the Dow Jones and TSX exchanges hitting new highs today.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Trump bump continues with both the Dow Jones and TSX exchanges hitting new highs today.
Beginning to wonder when that bubble will burst so I can pull all my retirement accounts into cash funds.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beginning to wonder when that bubble will burst so I can pull all my retirement accounts into cash funds.

I've recently made some changes to move into a more conservative strategy as far as my mutual funds are concerned. I'm just glad I had some time to recover from the 2008 debacle, as that was a pretty big hit. I feel sorry for people close to retirement around that time.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Marchini and others in the Central Valley here bet their farms on the election of Donald J. Trump. His message of reducing regulations and taxes appealed to this Republican stronghold, one of Mr. Trump’s strongest bases of support in the state.

As for his promises about cracking down on illegal immigrants, many assumed Mr. Trump’s pledges were mostly just talk. But two weeks into his administration, Mr. Trump has signed executive orders that have upended the country’s immigration laws. Now farmers here are deeply alarmed about what the new policies could mean for their workers, most of whom are unauthorized, and the businesses that depend on them.

“Everything’s coming so quickly,” Mr. Marchini said. “We’re not loading people into buses or deporting them, that’s not happening yet.” As he looked out over a crew of workers bent over as they rifled through muddy leaves to find purple heads of radicchio, he said that as a businessman, Mr. Trump would know that farmers had invested millions of dollars into produce that is growing right now, and that not being able to pick and sell those crops would represent huge losses for the state economy. “I’m confident that he can grasp the magnitude and the anxiety of what’s happening now.”

Mr. Trump’s immigration policies could transform California’s Central Valley, a stretch of lowlands that extends from Sacramento to Bakersfield. Approximately 70 percent of all farmworkers here are living in the United States illegally, according to researchers at University of California, Davis. The impact could reverberate throughout the valley’s precarious economy, where agriculture is by far the largest industry. With 6.5 million people living in the valley, the fields in this state bring in $35 billion a year and provide more of the nation’s food than any other state.

The consequences of a smaller immigrant work force would ripple not just through the orchards and dairies, but also to locally owned businesses, restaurants, schools and even seemingly unrelated industries, like the insurance market.

Many here feel vindicated by the election, and signs declaring “Vote to make America great again” still dot the highways. But in conversations with nearly a dozen farmers, most of whom voted for Mr. Trump, each acknowledged that they relied on workers who provided false documents. And if the administration were to weed out illegal workers, farmers say their businesses would be crippled. Even Republican lawmakers from the region have supported plans that would give farmworkers a path to citizenship

just wanted to get back to this because of all the "you fuckin idiots" I feel after reading this ... just drips of idiocy

The folks at Marchini Farms didnt see this coming? First, it appears they employee illegals. They didnt think a Trump presidency would affect their business WHICH IS BUILT ON THE BACKS OF ILLEGALS?

The worst part of this is ... this farm is owned by paisans. Im assuming this because A)their surname B)they grow Treviso raddichio (lol) and C) many Italians settled or sought work in the Central Valley of California prior to WW2 (my nonno was one of them). How in the fuck did they, who's patriarchs probably suffered embarassing discrimination (if not internment - google "storia segreta") as they were considered enemy aliens during WW2 not see this air of protectionism resulting in what it has????

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Do you think Kellie Leitch should have her own party?' Trudeau asks electoral reform advocate

"Do you think that Kellie Leitch should have her own party?" Trudeau said Thursday in Iqaluit. "Because if you have a party that represents the fringe voices … or the periphery of our perspectives and they hold 10, 15, 20 seats in the House, they end up holding the balance of power."

I think Kellie Leitch is a bit of a nut but I am a firm believer that as long as a party's platform doesn't advocate blatant violation of the constitution. "Fringe voices" can constitute any number of smaller or regional parties, parties that advocate Aboriginal rights or environmental causes, or essentially anything that disrupts the current two(ish) party system which is what I think Junior is really saying. And I think that's a bullshit cop-out of a campaign promise I believe won him quite a few votes because it doesn't make much sense that 37% of the popular vote can give a party a majority of seats in Parliament.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've recently made some changes to move into a more conservative strategy as far as my mutual funds are concerned. I'm just glad I had some time to recover from the 2008 debacle, as that was a pretty big hit. I feel sorry for people close to retirement around that time.

As you approach retirement you SHOULD be moving to a lower risk RRSP option. Depending on how much you have you should be even considering GICs, so hopefully most didn't get burned too bad. I'd bet it's the people who were looking to retire around 2018-2020 who'll feel that 2008 pain the most.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you approach retirement you SHOULD be moving to a lower risk RRSP option. Depending on how much you have you should be even considering GICs, so hopefully most didn't get burned too bad. I'd bet it's the people who were looking to retire around 2018-2020 who'll feel that 2008 pain the most.

I'm on the Freedom 75 plan, Kenny :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.