• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC remains at 8 conference games

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third Saturday of October is called the Third Saturday of October for a reason :L

Fuck the NCAA
So why didn't they play it on the Third Saturday of October last year, or 13 of the last 18 for that matter.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wanting 9 IC games, but I can live with 8 so long as the teams schedule some serious OOC. I have a feeling the ACC will now stay at 8 games and we will see more SEC v. ACC.

The FCS decision is what really disappoints me. As a fan, I don't want to see the FCS teams, even though I understand the economics of the argument. I hope that my Dawgs will stop playing them except the occasional in-state money share game.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 conf games in such a big conference is so dumb, you're only playing 2 cross divisional games, and one of those games is he same team every year. Wonder if a&m will want to schedule UT now that they are forced to play 1 BCS non conf team a year.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do all the other major conferences already have 9 conference games? There was a good comment on the espn article about not changing the rivalry match ups. Basically LSU has played Florida and Georgia 19 times since 2000. While Alabama has played them 8 times in the same span. That seems like that would be an advantage.

On the power conference match ups well hello to Alabama vs Indiana, LSU vs Iowa st etc. on paper would like to think we would get these matchup everyone wants to see but not so

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wanting 9 IC games, but I can live with 8 so long as the teams schedule some serious OOC. I have a feeling the ACC will now stay at 8 games and we will see more SEC v. ACC.

The FCS decision is what really disappoints me. As a fan, I don't want to see the FCS teams, even though I understand the economics of the argument. I hope that my Dawgs will stop playing them except the occasional in-state money share game.

Our AD came from Florida so he's going to schedule shitty FCS teams if he can. I was at a lecture here last semester where the assistant AD pretty much said this will still happen :L

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 conf games in such a big conference is so dumb, you're only playing 2 cross divisional games, and one of those games is he same team every year. Wonder if a&m will want to schedule UT now that they are forced to play 1 BCS non conf team a year.
Although I favor 9 IC games, I think it is a little more difficult than you think:

- it is a formula that has worked ... why blow it up? If the SEC sees they need more inventory for their new channel, or their SOS suffers and they get excluded from the NC tourney, things will change. But, until they see a competitive disadvantage or financial incentive, don't expect it to change.

- it enables most teams to have 8 home games. That's good for the fans, good for the cities in which the schools are located. Probably not going to see them voluntarily give that up.

- as to the permanent cross division games, you have the traditional match-ups that just aren't going to go away. UGa/Auburn and UT/Bama in particular just aren't games that the schools are willing to lose.

- I wish they would have prohibited FCS games.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do all the other major conferences already have 9 conference games?
PAC, Big12 have 9 IC games. Big10 starting in 2017 (maybe 2016) will have 9 IC games. SEC and ACC are at 8, with SEC just deciding to stay there and rumors that ACC was going to follow the SEC lead on this one. The SEC and ACC already play a number of games against each other and I can see those increasing.

There was a good comment on the espn article about not changing the rivalry match ups. Basically LSU has played Florida and Georgia 19 times since 2000. While Alabama has played them 8 times in the same span. That seems like that would be an advantage.
Yeah, but run the number for the 14 years before 2000 when UT was a beast and it would come out the other way. As everything in college football is, it is cyclical. Moreover, you aren't hearing LSU bitch so much about playing UF right now, are we?

On the power conference match ups well hello to Alabama vs Indiana, LSU vs Iowa st etc. on paper would like to think we would get these matchup everyone wants to see but not so
There have been and are a number of other good matchups, several are yearly.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think people are jumping all over each other to see USC vs Boston College, Hawaii, Utah St or Syracuse. Hell, even Notre Dame has been a laugher of late...including their NC game appearance year...you guys just made them look better than they were.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Week featuring Arkansas (West) vs. Missouri (East), Ole Miss (West) vs. Vanderbilt (East), Mississippi State (West) vs. Kentucky (East) and Texas A&M (West) vs. South Carolina (East). I was unaware the Vandy had such disdain for Ole Miss.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Week featuring Arkansas (West) vs. Missouri (East), Ole Miss (West) vs. Vanderbilt (East), Mississippi State (West) vs. Kentucky (East) and Texas A&M (West) vs. South Carolina (East). I was unaware the Vandy had such disdain for Ole Miss.
It is actually a very good rivalry for two teams that aren't historically very good. Both are very southerns schools in their traditions with a high percentage of students in the Greek system. A lot of my fraternity brothers kids who could not get into Vandy went to Ole Miss. While the academics are obviously different, they are similar socially. I would also venture to guess that a lot of friends out of the south have friends that go to both schools. It isn't a heated rivalry ... I mean what Vandy or Ole Miss fan would ever get heated about football anyway?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is actually a very good rivalry for two teams that aren't historically very good. Both are very southerns schools in their traditions with a high percentage of students in the Greek system. A lot of my fraternity brothers kids who could not get into Vandy went to Ole Miss. While the academics are obviously different, they are similar socially. I would also venture to guess that a lot of friends out of the south have friends that go to both schools. It isn't a heated rivalry ... I mean what Vandy or Ole Miss fan would ever get heated about football anyway?

There is no reason to defend it. It is just a mockery to call any of those games a rivalry. Like the "Land grant rivalry" the Big 10 tried to conceive between MSU and PSU. Unfortunately, you can not call a game a rivalry and actually make it a rivalry.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why didn't they play it on the Third Saturday of October last year, or 13 of the last 18 for that matter.

Because "Calendar Reading" is a Graduate level course in SEC schools. :yahoo:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to defend it. It is just a mockery to call any of those games a rivalry. Like the "Land grant rivalry" the Big 10 tried to conceive between MSU and PSU. Unfortunately, you can not call a game a rivalry and actually make it a rivalry.
Not defending it ... stating the facts ... two of my favorite road trips when I was at Vandy were when we went down to Ole Miss. I think the culture of the schools is such that they don't have true rivalries ... no one really cares.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not defending it ... stating the facts ... two of my favorite road trips when I was at Vandy were when we went down to Ole Miss. I think the culture of the schools is such that they don't have true rivalries ... no one really cares.

Ole Miss is a great road trip. I have done it several times. Best tailgating in the country.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole Miss is a great road trip. I have done it several times. Best tailgating in the country.
It truly is. And, if you are into the Greek scene, few do it better. Not to mention there is serious eye candy! The Grove has to be on any serious college football fan's bucket list.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the news that SEC teams will now need to schedule a BCS big five opponent each season as a non-conference game: " Everyone else already does that."

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the news that SEC teams will now need to schedule a BCS big five opponent each season as a non-conference game: " Everyone else already does that."

So do the vast majority of SEC teams and the ones that don't aren't really ever in the conversation. This announcement changed nothing for the most part.