• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks' secondary and holding/PI

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just hope the players aren't as obsessed with this as we are? they just have to play the best they can with 'hand fighting', and move on from each play. they can't get frustrated and retaliate, or let it disrupt their concentration.

whether our DB's do it or not, is another matter. our own receivers can't be obsessed.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Cosell was saying on the radio the other day that he doesn't think the Seahawks hold more than other teams. I was surprised, because I generally respect his opinions and he does watch everything, and I'm pretty sure they do hold more. I think sometimes he has a tendency to try to downplay side stories or questions about referees, so maybe he was just brushing off the question a bit.

I think they do hold more as evidenced by the league leading number of pi/holding penalties they have accumulated this season.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
720457198.gif

"But Sherman was holding again Ref! That's all he does is hold, hold, hold!"

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone,

Good luck this weekend. It is going to be a tough game to watch for both fanbases. I hope we see good football on the field and the refs call it evenly.

Awesome matchups
Gore vs. our front 7
Lynch vs. your front 7
Boldin and Crabs vs. LOB
Tate and Baldwin vs. Rogers and Cox?
VD vs Smith or Bam Bam
Miller or Willson vs. LB or Whitner
Wilson and Kaep making good decisions, running, and not turning it over
Both D-Lines putting pressure on and containing the opposing QB
ST play will be huge and of course any turnovers could swing the game
12th Man vs. Beats? ;)

Anyways, I am excited and nervous, and anxious all at the same time and I am guessing a few of you here are as well. I will, of course, be pulling for a Hawks victory, but wish a good game with no injuries.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey everyone,

Good luck this weekend. It is going to be a tough game to watch for both fanbases. I hope we see good football on the field and the refs call it evenly.

Awesome matchups
Gore vs. our front 7
Lynch vs. your front 7
Boldin and Crabs vs. LOB
VD vs Smith or Bam Bam
12th Man vs. Beats? ;)

Anyways, I am excited and nervous, and anxious all at the same time and I am guessing a few of you here are as well. I will, of course, be pulling for a Hawks victory, but wish a good game with no injuries.

If Rogers plays, Cox won't - except when/if the Hawks go four wide. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown and Brock still start, with Rogers coming in for Nickel.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone,

Awesome matchups
Gore vs. our front 7
Lynch vs. your front 7
Boldin and Crabs vs. LOB
VD vs Smith or Bam Bam
12th Man vs. Beats? ;)

Thanks, you too.:suds:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article, and I've brought this up before. From the article:

The Seattle Seahawks Defense Relies on a Brazen Tactic: Rampant Interference - WSJ.com

If I was Harbaugh what do I do? Well, I would tell my secondary to do the SAME EXACT thing on defense. If they don't call it on them, odds are they won't call it on us, and vice versa.

That's exactly what I have thought. They are told to do it all the time because the ref will not call a foul on every play because the TV audience would not put up with it. Its institutionalized cheating.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin didn't do very well with that approach in the first meeting. He just ended up basically fighting Sherman off to the side. If they're not calling the smaller stuff, I just hope our guys force them to hold blatantly by beating them.

different story when you have Crabtree on the other side.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good article, and I've brought this up before. From the article:

The Seattle Seahawks Defense Relies on a Brazen Tactic: Rampant Interference - WSJ.com

If I was Harbaugh what do I do? Well, I would tell my secondary to do the SAME EXACT thing on defense. If they don't call it on them, odds are they won't call it on us, and vice versa.

the below makes sense to me, but are Crabtree and Boldin these type of receivers? I'd think Crabtree can do it but not so much Boldin. try to use Patton a little bit lined up outside.

Former Seahawks quarterback Warren Moon said the only way to combat the grabby defensive backs is by running plenty of slant-and-go routes and other patterns that involve receivers making cuts. The idea is to get the defense's big cornerbacks on the move and hamper their ability to get their hands on a receiver.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the below makes sense to me, but are Crabtree and Boldin these type of receivers? I'd think Crabtree can do it but not so much Boldin. try to use Patton a little bit lined up outside.

Former Seahawks quarterback Warren Moon said the only way to combat the grabby defensive backs is by running plenty of slant-and-go routes and other patterns that involve receivers making cuts. The idea is to get the defense's big cornerbacks on the move and hamper their ability to get their hands on a receiver.

Yeah, I think you're better off with fast and shiftier receivers. There's a risk there, as those guys can have trouble getting off a jam, but once they do, I think the bigger Hawks DBs have trouble staying with them. Crabtree should have some success as, despite his size, he's actually got exceptional change of direction skills. Boldin doesn't. I would like to see us use both Patton and McDonald a little more in this game. RBs out of the backfield, as well.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys, the radio show here in Phx just had John Clayton on, and he said our ref crew notoriously lets them play and don't call PI very much. Our WR's need to go out and ball and keep emotions in check. Brock and Brown need to be physical as well....Brown isn't very physical at all. Brock on the other hand can be and hopefully will be

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should just do what they do and hold and PI on every defensive play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well guys, the radio show here in Phx just had John Clayton on, and he said our ref crew notoriously lets them play and don't call PI very much. Our WR's need to go out and ball and keep emotions in check. Brock and Brown need to be physical as well....Brown isn't very physical at all. Brock on the other hand can be and hopefully will be

yep, more so Boldin.

this isn't saying don't show ANY emotion, but don't need to taunt, head butt, or otherwise overdo anything.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the refs let the secondary use hands then they will let the wr's use them as well. Our wr's are much more physical than their cb's, I'd prefer to see that type of game.

Our wr's need to set a physical tone early to see where the refs are with this one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the refs let the secondary use hands then they will let the wr's use them as well. Our wr's are much more physical than their cb's, I'd prefer to see that type of game.

Our wr's need to set a physical tone early to see where the refs are with this one.

not sure I want to see that type of game, just my preference.

certainly agree with setting the tone early.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA]Olivia Newton-John - Physical - YouTube[/ame]

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if that gets Sherman off of Boldin.

Sherman usually stays on his side. In week 2 he took Boldin specifically in any man to man coverage. I think in SF the dbs played their own sides and took whoever came their way. Brandon Browner was the real physical db and got called the most for PI and holding when he was playing. He is gone now, so Maxwell takes his spot. I think he is a little bigger and more physical than Sherman. Sherm just loves to talk.