• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks game notes

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeeeeyep. They rarely lined up in press and even when they did they were soft off the line. On every one of Smith's 23 attempts at between 5-10 yards off the LOS there were rarely any defenders close to the receivers.

Maybe they got off the line okay, but I think the problem most people had was that after 5 yards, there was a ton of contact. That's been their style, apparently to the point where the officials let it go as opposed to throwing the flag regularly. I'm sure many teams (not just Harbaugh) want league clarification on why it isn't being called.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they got off the line okay, but I think the problem most people had was that after 5 yards, there was a ton of contact. That's been their style, apparently to the point where the officials let it go as opposed to throwing the flag regularly. I'm sure many teams (not just Harbaugh) want league clarification on why it isn't being called.

There has been a lot of noise about this lately, but the league won't find much if any evidence from our game vs. Seattle.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cosell says Seahawks DBs probably got away with penalties against 49ers

Q: Did your film study show the Seahawks DBs were too physical with the 49ers?

COSELL: “Clearly there were plays when you watch the film, you say, ‘Boy, that probably should be a pass interference penalty.’ [Jim Harbaugh’s] concern shouldn’t be with the DBs. His concern should probably be with the officials, but you can’t make those comments because then you get fined.”

-------------

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012...on-davis-didnt-catch-a-pass-against-seahawks/

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There has been a lot of noise about this lately, but the league won't find much if any evidence from our game vs. Seattle.

Are you kidding? The Seattle DBs were hitting and grabbing all night, as Harbaug observed, as Cosell agreed above.....and just about everyone who watched the game saw. No need to go so far out of your way to justify the Smith bashing.

You were always reasonable, I thought, when did this I Hate Smith thing develop?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Walker: 'I'm a 49er now and I want to be a 49er'

MINDI -- You play on special teams as well. What is your role on special teams? I have to admit I don’t know much about it.

DW -- (laughing) It’s funny, you know everybody thinks I’m on special teams, but I’m only on one unit, and I get that a lot, like, ‘Man, you killed on special teams.’ But I’m sorry fans out there, I only play on kick off and my role out there, I’m like the hype man really. I just dance and get crazy when Tony Montana comes on and I just try to go down there and bust some heads.

Ha. Typical.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding? The Seattle DBs were hitting and grabbing all night, as Harbaug observed, as Cosell agreed above.....and just about everyone who watched the game saw. No need to go so far out of your way to justify the Smith bashing.

You were always reasonable, I thought, when did this I Hate Smith thing develop?

Seriously? Harbaugh observed and Cosell agreed that the Seattle DB's were hitting and grabbing all night? Or did Cosell offer a more measured response?

And how exactly are you drawing a correlation between my comments about Harbaugh's bitchin and Alex Smith?

And can you show me where I said I hate Alex Smith?

It would appear you are the one being unreasonable Space.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seriously? Harbaugh observed and Cosell agreed that the Seattle DB's were hitting and grabbing all night? Or did Cosell offer a more measured response?

And how exactly are you drawing a correlation between my comments about Harbaugh's bitchin and Alex Smith?

And can you show me where I said I hate Alex Smith?

It would appear you are the one being unreasonable Space.

whaaa? not following...

1. Seattle DB's - you seem to be saying Seattle's CB play was ok, no fouls would be seen on film. yes or no?
2. well lately, you're posts on Alex Smith have been threatening Clyde as top dog hater. :-) ok, thats an exaggeration, but you get the gist......lately.
3. don't see how Space correlating Seattle DB's (Harbaugh comments) and Alex Smith? wait....guess i should go back and read it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whaaa? not following...

1. Seattle DB's - you seem to be saying Seattle's CB play was ok, no fouls would be seen on film. yes or no?
2. well lately, you're posts on Alex Smith have been threatening Clyde as top dog hater. :-) ok, thats an exaggeration, but you get the gist......lately.
3. don't see how Space correlating Seattle DB's (Harbaugh comments) and Alex Smith? wait....guess i should go back and read it.

1) Seattle's DB's were fine - They played press on less than 1/2 of Smith's 23 attempts and most of the time in trail-tech. There were a total of 3 maybe 4 bump-n-covers and many of Smiths passes were thrown quickly which makes WR's fair game for DB's often times while still in their stem.

I saw one maybe two plays where a call might have been made. The rest of the time there was rarely a defender around any receiver at the time of the pass.

2) Neither Clyde nor myself or for that matter anyone on this board as far as I can tell hates Alex Smith - To even use the word "hate" when interpreting my comments is ridiculous.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frustrated is a better term to use than "hate."

Fans are frustrated with Alex Smith.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frustrated is a better term to use than "hate."

Fans are frustrated with Alex Smith.

no question fans are frustrated, but then again.....we know he is limited but keep asking for more. when he isn't giving more, we become frustrated. does this make sense?

so agree with frustration, but wondering about the degree?

before this season, was just hoping for a LITTLE improvement over last year. more importantly, was hoping for more consistancy. he actually started better than 'little', but tailed quite a bit last two games. so already his consistency took a swing down. but no one is solid EVERY week, so as long as he keeps winning even if ugly, and gets consistent during the play-offs.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman is now Optimus Prime. And our world grows stranger by the minute.

:brick:
Sounds like you been smokin' that Sherm, (Richie) Rich, cause you know Cully already took 'Optimus Prime' after last year's DET/SF game.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I saw one maybe two plays where a call might have been made. The rest of the time there was rarely a defender around any receiver at the time of the pass.

Just wrong, everyone else here knows it, nothing else needs to be said. You want to believe Smith had open guys and no issues throwing to them but his suckage, that's how it connects. Not positive you watched the game at this point.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Seattle's DB's were fine - They played press on less than 1/2 of Smith's 23 attempts and most of the time in trail-tech. There were a total of 3 maybe 4 bump-n-covers and many of Smiths passes were thrown quickly which makes WR's fair game for DB's often times while still in their stem.

I am NOT claiming that they were holding and grabbing all game or anything, but I think Harbaugh might have been talking about receivers that weren't thrown to because they couldn't get out legally. So we can't just look at the 23 passes and where they went. It isn't just pass interference in other words. It would happen on sacks, scrambles, checking down because the held receivers weren't getting downfield due to illegal contact, etc. A head coach should expect to be competing against a legal defense, not one getting away with stuff. NOT saying it happened because I don't have to game film to look at, just saying that he's probably complaining about more than the passes. Either way, one or two plays could be game-changing, if those ones you saw were called, because if they were called we wouldn't even have to depend on Alex making the throw - free penalty yards and possible first down (automatic?).

A QB would be affected by illegal contact beyond 5 yards. Hypothetically, if a receiver is held 6 yards past the LOS, he never gets open enough for the pass like he could have if he were only legally defended.

It's probably a moot point because Alex Smith doesn't always see open receivers nor does he throw to them consistently, but as a head coach, if he believes that they are getting away with it, he has to bring attention to it. He should have just sent it to the league, but when asked about it, he talked about it publicly.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wrong, everyone else here knows it, nothing else needs to be said.

You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about - Smith threw 23 passes vs. Seattle. Please provide me a list of routes where the defenders were grabbing the receivers downfield and name the receivers and the defenders so I can verify you know what you're talking about; and, if you can't do that, then perhaps you need to run along.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harbaugh might have been talking about receivers that weren't thrown to because they couldn't get out legally. So we can't just look at the 23 passes and where they went.

I looked at every receiver on every pass attempt.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at every receiver on every pass attempt.

Ok. Wasn't challenging your assessment, just got confused with what you said on your previous post. On board now.