• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/19/refo-seahawks-49ers-week-7/

Some things to highlight if you aren't going to read the whole article:

The scoreboard may not lead you to believe it, but the 49ers’ offensive line controlled this game in what might have been one of the best back-and-forth matchups of the entire season.

The dominance of the 49ers’ offensive line was the headline from this game, so let’s take a closer look at that dominance and some of the other notable performances from a victory that immediately got their season back on track.

---

Six times in this game the Seattle defense allowed a 49er ballcarrier to pick up 5 yards on a run play before a single Seahawk defender touched them. For the game, they allowed 3.6 yards per backfield carry before contact.

---

Each starter on the Seahawks’ defensive line recorded the lowest single-game run defense grade ever earned individually in the five years we have been grading games here at Pro Football Focus — this was dominance that we have simply never seen imposed on this Seahawks defense before. The only saving grace, and the reason they didn’t surrender the sort of yardage the Bills did a fortnight ago, was that their linebackers were solid behind this defensive mess. Their trio of linebackers didn’t miss a tackle in run defense and combined to record 16 stops.

---

Between their five offensive linemen and Vernon Davis, the 49ers accumulated a run blocking grade of +14.5, a level of dominance you simply wouldn’t expect against a run defense as good as Seattle’s.

---

Special mention has to go to Joe Staley (+3.4) and Jonathan Goodwin (+4.4). Staley surrendered only two stops in an extremely consistent performance against a number of Seattle defenders, while Goodwin consistently and conclusively got the better of Brandon Mebane through the middle.

---

Culliver’s pass defenses and the Seahawks timely drops helped ensure that for the fifth time this season Culliver allowed fewer than 20 receiving yards in a game. For the season Culliver is allowing a reception once every 16.5 snaps, which puts him in the exalted company of the likes of Champ Bailey, Lardarius Webb and Charles Tillman.

---

– He may have been held without a catch — he wasn’t even targeted – but Vernon Davis still had a positive impact on the game. His +1.1 grade as a run blocker is the sixth time in seven games Davis has graded positively as a run blocker.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barrows:

Mario Manningham said he hurt his shoulder on the opening play of the Giants game but didn't want to come out. Says he'll be ready for MNF.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrows:

Mario Manningham said he hurt his shoulder on the opening play of the Giants game but didn't want to come out. Says he'll be ready for MNF.

And he still led the team in recieving, nice!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

49ers Frank Gore confirmed he has bruised ribs, the most painful injury he's played with.

Matt Barrows:

Frank Gore us off for the weekend with an ice pack on his left rib cage. Gore says pain/ difficulty breathing has subsided.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't know where to put this so I'll put it here. This is a Seahawk fan from one of their forums talking about our trenches.

I agree with OP the Niners destroyed us at the LOS both ways. Freaking Gore would get 5 yards without being touched, on the one run where he went down to our 19 or so, he came through a hole so big that I think he didn't know what to do with himself and sort of lost his balance and fell down trying to decide which move he would use on the one member of our secondary between him and the end zone. Lynch is dragging guys from the handoff to the whistle. I would still say we have good run blocking and good enough pass pro, it's just the Niners have silly run blocking and ridiculous pass pro.

Similarly, our Dline is good, but theirs looked much better last night.

Also agree with OP that our secondary is what kept this from killing us. And if we're not as strong as they are in the trenches, our blueprint seems to produce similar results in terms of points allowed, so I'm okay with that. But yeah, you can't help watching their lines and saying wow.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott Kegley:

Harbaugh: "Mike Iupati…I don't know how you can be more physical than he was. He really set the tone there."

Harbaugh: "I've never seen a team run better between the guards than our team last night."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis held without a catch, but still smiling

It's not as if there were not plays designed to get the ball to Davis. One such play happened on the 49ers' first drive of the third quarter. Davis was the primary receiver on a pass that ended up going underneath to tight end Delanie Walker.

"I was supposed to come off Randy (Moss) and the ball was supposed to be there," Davis said. "Delanie popped wide open and I saw him out of the corner of my eye. (I) turned around, got the block and Delanie scored."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Harbaugh implies Smith’s finger has been factor in past 2 games

Posed that question today, Jim Harbaugh intimated Smith’s finger has been a factor.

“I can’t say for sure,” Harbaugh said. “He’s not the kind of guy that would ever say it and none of us are, that would publicly make any excuse or rationalization. I know him. And I wouldn’t disgrace him by saying it was (a factor), publicly. I know the kind of guy he is and the kind of competitor he is … It’s good. It’s getting better.”

Of course, Harbaugh is perhaps the world’s most ardent Smith supporter. And he could be subtly backing his guy by hinting that his recent stretch of so-so play is partially injury related.

However, in this story by Yahoo! writer Mike Silver, offensive coordinator Greg Roman was more direct when discussing Smith’s finger injury after Thursday night’s 13-6 win over Seattle.

“Alex is still working his way back into form,” Roman said, “so we have to manufacture things in the meantime.”

It should be noted that three of Smith’s interceptions the past two weeks can seemingly be attributed to bad reads, not a bad finger. On two occasions last week, Smith failed to see New York safety Antrel Rolle and he didn’t notice Randy Moss dragging across the back of the end zone until it was far too late Thursday night.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh seeks clarity from NFL on play of Seahawks' corners

Quarterback Alex Smith said Sherman and Browner probably should've been called for illegal contact "several times" in Thursday's game.

"If this is a point of emphasis of no contact after 5 yards, no question," Smith said.

"They've done it all year. When they played Green Bay, they were doing it to all those guys, (Greg) Jennings, all those guys. You turn on the Patriots (film) and same things," Smith added. "That's what they do. It's who they are. They're good at it. It's what they play, big corners, physical guys. I don't know how we didn't get a call. It seems like it gets called once a game and then it doesn't get called again."