• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one else who's been hired by the other 6 teams to this point has someone I would prefer to Macdonald, so good move I say. Schneider played this perfectly. He didn't flinch early on when other teams were taking candidates off the board, and he stuck to his plan and presumably got his #1 target. Hopefully we remember this the next time we accuse him of not having a plan simply because we cannot see what it is.
I'm stoked... This is who I wanted... Vrabel was my runner up... I'm just so happy it wasn't Quinn...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the hire!

Pete gonna be watching games next season like "I keep forgettin we're not in love anymore... I keep forgettin things will never be the same again!"
Hopefully he'll be watching a vastly, improved defense next season wondering to himself, "Why didn't I think of that?"

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a long commitment to Macdonald.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent hire and glad JS got it done! Defense needs work but I expect defense will be better and maybe by year 2 with 2 drafts and 2 FAs they'll hover around top 10. Post Pete era off to a great start.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stoked... This is who I wanted... Vrabel was my runner up... I'm just so happy it wasn't Quinn...
If it was Quinn i was dropping the 10k to join Mill Creek Country club and playing Sundays

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they hired Mac, he seemed like the best available from the list of candidates Seahawks had. My first and favorite choice would of been Ben Johnson hands down but, since John couldn't convince him to join the Seahawks, Mac was the best of the rest. Really nice to end the suspense TBH. Lots to do yet.
1) Fill out the rest of the staff- Now this is going to be interesting and very important. I expect Mac will draw from guys who coached along side him in Baltimore, particular on the defensive side. OC is the mystery choice, I saw flyerhawk post a twit mentioning Tee Martin Ravens QB coach as OC. IDK how I feel about that, not a lot to choose from on the offensive side of the ball.

2) Cap decisions. Some seem obvious, others are possible but are hard to decide on. I heard it said that 50 million in cap space can be created without trying to hard, but that's with only a partial roster and some starting positions needing to be filled. 50 million won't last long and will leave the Seahawks wanting more IMO.

3) The draft. So much riding on this draft, need to fill starting positions, need depth in most positions and the ever present QB of the future hanging there. 2025 draft doesn't look promising for find one and Geno is going to be 34 this season and declined from being a the top 10 to being middle of the pack (16th) so if one isn't found this draft best we can hope for is 2026 and TBH we don't know if that will be a good draft for a QB.

4) As usual Seahawks won't really be players in FA, but they will be looking for players that can play a role and won't be pricey.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Seahawks look like come time to play games. I expect plenty of changes. The 2024 season kicks off the new era, the post Pete Carroll era. 9-8 is the bar, that and making the playoffs. Hope the Seahawks come through for all us fans.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that having someone like Schneider as GM is almost a perfect fit for a young guy like Macdonald. Help him build the staff. Help build the roster. John has a lot of experience working hand in hand with the head coach.

I love hearing him being called the defensive Sean McVay.

People always want offensive coaches. I've been hearing that since I was a kid. But if you look at the coaches with the longest staying power with a team they are usually defensive minded coaches.

Obviously this could all go horribly wrong but, IMO, this is the best move the club has done since drafting Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this hire and now obviously, we wait and see what else shakes out. J.S. has his finger on the pulse of this team and the fanbase and really is taking control of this thing. His last 2 drafts have been stellar thanks in large part to his fleecing of the Broncos. And now we can turn the page. One thing about MacDonald is he seems to be pretty good at scheming vs. Shanahan's system and his disciples. of course, we still need to infuse some more talent on that side of the ball in a couple of key areas but hopefully with a healthy Nwosu and Mafe taking the next step and a couple of other pieces, most of the problems are fixable. I absolutely love the coverage schemes he employs and I think the guys on the back end will benefit from that. We need a safety that is a swiss army knife though. Somebody good in coverage but also able to blitz and stuff runs and screens. And a K.J. type of LB would be nice.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Queen is a FA this year. We need coverage LBs and Macdonald worked magic with him. I'd expect he gets a look out here next year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this hire and now obviously, we wait and see what else shakes out. J.S. has his finger on the pulse of this team and the fanbase and really is taking control of this thing. His last 2 drafts have been stellar thanks in large part to his fleecing of the Broncos. And now we can turn the page. One thing about MacDonald is he seems to be pretty good at scheming vs. Shanahan's system and his disciples. of course, we still need to infuse some more talent on that side of the ball in a couple of key areas but hopefully with a healthy Nwosu and Mafe taking the next step and a couple of other pieces, most of the problems are fixable. I absolutely love the coverage schemes he employs and I think the guys on the back end will benefit from that. We need a safety that is a swiss army knife though. Somebody good in coverage but also able to blitz and stuff runs and screens. And a K.J. type of LB would be nice.

One thing that I think Macdonald will do is simply put players in better positions to succeed. No more 295 lb nose tackles or 33 MLBs playing cover backer.

IMO, Pete had blind spots when it came to certain positions. He simply didn't value road grading interior defensive tackles and thought that speedy edge rushers were always versatile enough to drop into coverage.

But mainly Pete's system just didn't evolve enough and couldn't succeed without having 3-4 hall of famers on the team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that I think Macdonald will do is simply put players in better positions to succeed. No more 295 lb nose tackles or 33 MLBs playing cover backer.

IMO, Pete had blind spots when it came to certain positions. He simply didn't value road grading interior defensive tackles and thought that speedy edge rushers were always versatile enough to drop into coverage.

But mainly Pete's system just didn't evolve enough and couldn't succeed without having 3-4 hall of famers on the team.
I don't think Pete has been as hands on as you do with the defense, I think he relied on the DC more so then he did early on. However water under the bridge,we are onto Mac as HC. We know he was a good DC but he won't be DC here.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When McVay was hired on with the Rams, he brought in a greybeard (Wade Phillips) to run the defense to free him up to focus more on offense. Macdonald has been described as the D version of McVay, so I think his approach may be similar to what McVay did but flipped. My guess is Macdonald is going to promote one of his defensive assistants from Baltimore to be the DC here, and he'll look for an OC who can flourish with a great amount of autonomy so Macdonald is freed up to install his defense.

Schneider said in his presser a few weeks back that the coaching staff is under his purview in the post-Pete era. I think this means he'll be involved two levels down (coordinator level) but probably won't meddle as much with hiring of assistant coaches who work under the coordinators.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Queen is a FA this year. We need coverage LBs and Macdonald worked magic with him. I'd expect he gets a look out here next year.
Seems like a no brainer, but Ravens will no doubt do what they can to resign him as he's an important piece of their defense. It would be a great start to improving the Seahawks defense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like this is going to happen. May help to get Queen to sign here.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really is a race going on for filling staff positions, coaches are getting hired and promoted left and right. Thank goodness the Seahawks landed Mac as Washington is still trying to figure out the HC opening.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Pete has been as hands on as you do with the defense, I think he relied on the DC more so then he did early on. However water under the bridge,we are onto Mac as HC. We know he was a good DC but he won't be DC here.

Our defenses had the sames whether it was Richard, Nortion Desai or Hurtt. Susceptible to the screen and to TE routes.

I would be pretty surprised if Macdonald isn't heavily involved on the defensive side and gives the OC control over the offense outside of things like 4th down decisions.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When McVay was hired on with the Rams, he brought in a greybeard (Wade Phillips) to run the defense to free him up to focus more on offense. Macdonald has been described as the D version of McVay, so I think his approach may be similar to what McVay did but flipped. My guess is Macdonald is going to promote one of his defensive assistants from Baltimore to be the DC here, and he'll look for an OC who can flourish with a great amount of autonomy so Macdonald is freed up to install his defense.

Schneider said in his presser a few weeks back that the coaching staff is under his purview in the post-Pete era. I think this means he'll be involved two levels down (coordinator level) but probably won't meddle as much with hiring of assistant coaches who work under the coordinators.

The good news is the Seahawks have an offense that doesn't require a great deal of change. Ideally get someone from the Shanahan/McVay/Waldron tree so the terminology stays fairly consistent.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington hired Dan Quinn. Not a bad hire for them, to be honest. That organization needs stability and a steady hand. I think you could argue that someone like Quinn or Vrabel are better choices for them.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington hired Dan Quinn. Not a bad hire for them, to be honest. That organization needs stability and a steady hand. I think you could argue that someone like Quinn or Vrabel are better choices for them.
if it doesnt work out this time he may not get another chance, he has to hope the GM doesnt screw up all that draft capital or take the wrong QB