• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was fun while it lasted, lions pissing the game away

Still have the lead and averaging a million yards per run. Just don't be dumb like BAL and keep running the ball.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have the lead and averaging a million yards per run. Just don't be dumb like BAL and keep running the ball.
All tied up niners with all the momentum

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shame, at least we will know who our coach is tomorrow

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like both Hawks and Footballskins are interviewing Ben Johnson today in Detroit, and then tomorrow Hawks are interviewing Macdonald. This is according to what I just heard Brock say on 710.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like both Hawks and Footballskins are interviewing Ben Johnson today in Detroit, and then tomorrow Hawks are interviewing Macdonald. This is according to what I just heard Brock say on 710.

IMO, I really think they are going after Macdonald.

The fact that Johnson is being interviewed again by the WTFs suggests it's not quite the done deal yet that they are hiring him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, I really think they are going after Macdonald.

Yeah, I think it could still go a number of ways. Clearly if they're still interested in Vrabel or Quinn, they told both of them that there will be no hiring decision until after they've had a chance to sit down with Macdonald (and Johnson I suppose, though I think they had a first interview with him already?). I don't know why they didn't get the request in on time for that first interview with Macdonald, but I'm glad they at least stuck with the plan to apply due diligence to give him a shot. The other names most commonly connected to the Hawks are still in play, meanwhile only 1 other team is looking for a coach now instead of 6 or 7. Seems to me Schneider played it pretty damn well.
The fact that Johnson is being interviewed again by the WTFs suggests it's not quite the done deal yet that they are hiring him.
Any reports of a "done deal" before those guys could even be hired seem like click bait or someone just trying to be the first to report it with less regard for being accurate.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like wash hasn't satisfied the Rooney rule so unless they dont care about the consequences they will have to do some more interviews before they can hire johnson

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any minute now.........

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really looking more and more like McDonald and Johnson as the two hires coming between us and Washington. I'm fine with either one at this point. The big key being who they bring in for a staff. I like the idea of Mcdonald calling the defensive plays as HC like Ryans does in Houston. And the same holds true for Johnson on the other side of the ball. And just have coordinators on that side to do the prep and study, etc. during the week and assist with the game plan.
If it ends up being McDonald, I hope he can get us a smart young OC who is able to quickly adapt in game and use the weapons we have on that side of the ball. Without Pete constantly meddling in the offense, we should see something more conducive to modern offensive football using the whole field and switching things up to keep defenses on their heals.
I like the idea of McDonald simply to make the defense respectable for the time being until we can fix some of the personnel issues and reload some more talent on that side of the ball. A lot of holes to fill, imo bt a new scheme and better in game adjustments should help a lot.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it's Johnson because we have so much talent on the offense that it'd be a shame to see it go to waste when the rookie contracts are up and it's an offensive league. I know MacDonald is good but the D is basically in rebuild in so many areas.

May not have any ILBs, may not have Williams, Reed or Jones (who was lackluster anyway). Diggs/Adams are likely gone. About the only stability we have is on EDGE (if Nwosu comes back healthy and Hall picks it up) and CB (I guess Love can move to SS permanently. He was balling there last year.

Meanwhile outside of a Center and a Guard and maybe a tight end, the offense is set and while you could argue we need a QB, given what Johnson did with Goff, I'm sure he can work with Geno while we get ready to draft. Schneider has a great track record with QBs (Rodgers, Wilson, wanted Allen, reportedly really like Mahomes) so if we pull the trigger that's even better. Lockett may have to restructure but then you still have Bobo (would be interesting to see him lineup at TE, his blocking when in game was one of the better WRs in the league).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really looking more and more like McDonald and Johnson as the two hires coming between us and Washington. I'm fine with either one at this point. The big key being who they bring in for a staff. I like the idea of Mcdonald calling the defensive plays as HC like Ryans does in Houston. And the same holds true for Johnson on the other side of the ball. And just have coordinators on that side to do the prep and study, etc. during the week and assist with the game plan.
If it ends up being McDonald, I hope he can get us a smart young OC who is able to quickly adapt in game and use the weapons we have on that side of the ball. Without Pete constantly meddling in the offense, we should see something more conducive to modern offensive football using the whole field and switching things up to keep defenses on their heals.
I like the idea of McDonald simply to make the defense respectable for the time being until we can fix some of the personnel issues and reload some more talent on that side of the ball. A lot of holes to fill, imo bt a new scheme and better in game adjustments should help a lot.

I like the idea of Macdonald mainly because I think he has a better chance of bringing in the right kind of culture for the team. I'm far less focused on who calls the Xs and Os.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it's Johnson because we have so much talent on the offense that it'd and it's an offensive league. I know MacDonald is good but the D is basically in rebuild in so many areas.

May not have any ILBs, may not have Williams, Reed or Jones (who was lackluster anyway). Diggs/Adams are likely gone. About the only stability we have is on EDGE (if Nwosu comes back healthy and Hall picks it up) and CB (I guess Love can move to SS permanently. He was balling there last year.

Meanwhile outside of a Center and a Guard and maybe a tight end, the offense is set and while you could argue we need a QB, given what Johnson did with Goff, I'm sure he can work with Geno while we get ready to draft. Schneider has a great track record with QBs (Rodgers, Wilson, wanted Allen, reportedly really like Mahomes) so if we pull the trigger that's even better. Lockett may have to restructure but then you still have Bobo (would be interesting to see him lineup at TE, his blocking when in game was one of the better WRs in the league).

So you just want to punt on defense for another year and hope it will rebuild on its own?

Seems to me that the offense has plenty of tools for just about any offensive coach to come in and succeed. Provided we can get the culture right again.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you just want to punt on defense for another year and hope it will rebuild on its own?

Seems to me that the offense has plenty of tools for just about any offensive coach to come in and succeed. Provided we can get the culture right again.

lol well no. It'd be great to snag a good D coord and let them have control over the defense. I'm just saying that rebuild is not likely to happen overnight. You might be right that we have enough weapons on O where we should take a defensive coach to rebuild it, and then utilize all the weapons on O with a decent O coord. That may be a better approach. I guess our O was fairly okay last year given the massive injuries on the OL, Geno not being 100%, and the RBs getting banged up a bit. We were still almost top 10 in yards per play.... we just could never get our D off the field. So maybe that's a better approach as I talk through it.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I honestly was never as down on Shane Waldron as you guys. I think a lot of the problems had Pete's fingerprints on them and he was reining the offense back because Pete was still living in the run, run, bomb mentality of yesteryear.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I honestly was never as down on Shane Waldron as you guys. I think a lot of the problems had Pete's fingerprints on them and he was reining the offense back because Pete was still living in the run, run, bomb mentality of yesteryear.

I also was not as down on Waldron and willing to give him another year. Last year the playcalling looked VERY similar to when Russell was here... I made jokes throughout the season how our playbook must resemble Tecmo Bowl. Waldron was quite creative with plays in Geno's first year, multi TE sets and using them as receivers. A lot of outside runs with Walker (his strength).

This year looked just like Seattle in 2021.... run up the middle... WR screen, throw it deep, and a RB delay. I know they obviously did a bit more than that, but holy shit it looked so predictable. And RIGHT back to letting the playclock go to like 1-3 seconds. That said, our O was still not HORRIBLE (almost top 10 in yards per attempt) but as the season went on it started to get worse...

I think Pete was like, "We have to run the ball more and play conservative because our defense sucks!" ...... well that's some excellent logic there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't anti-Shane. The issues with his play calling were the same as previous OCs under Pete. Inability to execute a blitz beater screen and an unwillingness to throw down the middle.