• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS I said about McDonald, as much as culture is a big key, his play calling and X's and O's could, at the very least elevate the defense to some extent and give it new life despite the need for more talent on that side of the ball. If the defense can just take a step up to even say top 20, that vastly improves what we can do on offense as well. We need to devote a good deal of draft capital to that side of the ball, imo. LB and S at the top of the list and DL just behind that. We can dump Adams and Diggs for cap relief, hopefully. I hope we can find a kid like Kyle Hamilton but obviously, that's a bit overly optimistic, lol. We have lots of kids on rookie deals still and can cut guys like Darrel Taylor. We will likely have to either extend or FT Jordyn Brooks, I think and then we have to see what Bobby wants to do but there is some flexibility there.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS I said about McDonald, as much as culture is a big key, his play calling and X's and O's could, at the very least elevate the defense to some extent and give it new life despite the need for more talent on that side of the ball. If the defense can just take a step up to even say top 20, that vastly improves what we can do on offense as well. We need to devote a good deal of draft capital to that side of the ball, imo. LB and S at the top of the list and DL just behind that. We can dump Adams and Diggs for cap relief, hopefully. I hope we can find a kid like Kyle Hamilton but obviously, that's a bit overly optimistic, lol. We have lots of kids on rookie deals still and can cut guys like Darrel Taylor. We will likely have to either extend or FT Jordyn Brooks, I think and then we have to see what Bobby wants to do but there is some flexibility there.

I've seen some drafts mocking us Kinchens. And then yah we need to see what's gonna happen with ILB and DL. I dunno how much Williams will want (or if he'll want to stay on a rebuild) but he was pretty much our best defender last year outside of Witherspoon and Wagner. Wagner just started to wear down as the season went on (and he's lost a lot of his speed).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And whoever we get, hopefully they get Hall figured out. Nearly a 1st round pick and we barely used him as the season went on. When he was rotating in the first half of the season he was doing okay. Then when Nwosu went down we started REALLY limiting his snaps. He had some trash games against San Fran but that was the 2nd best offense in the league that we had absolutely no answer for as a collective group lol.

I was so frustrated by that. Even if we'd made the playoffs, we weren't going to go anywhere... put your younger guys in. Don't start limiting Hall's snaps. Meanwhile Taylor picks up more snaps, WHY!? Taylor is gone anyway.. we've wasted enough time waiting for him to come around. And maybe have at least 3 down lineman instead of a couple OLB EDGE rushers and 2 down lineman? Whatever. It's fairly obvious to me why Pete was canned.

The locker also gave up on him. The receivers were beyond frustrated, Geno regressed, the D just seemed fed up with the scheme, guys moving all over positions, that STUPID Peters RT rotation... Walker was getting frustrated just being jammed up the middle 24/7 with no creativity whatsoever. I think JSN is probably having PTSD or nightmares about WR screens. The drops, the missed tackles... they just stopped caring.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen some drafts mocking us Kinchens. And then yah we need to see what's gonna happen with ILB and DL. I dunno how much Williams will want (or if he'll want to stay on a rebuild) but he was pretty much our best defender last year outside of Witherspoon and Wagner. Wagner just started to wear down as the season went on (and he's lost a lot of his speed).
Yeah, I will always love Wagz and will be thrilled when he gets his gold jacket and bust in the HOF but he is really near the end of his run. I really wish we could have built a contender and had a SB run so he could walk away on top but that is very rare in this league. Wagz still makes a lot of plays but as you say, he's really lost a step and even all those tackles are a bit misleading as he was often having to tackle runners 8 yds downfield.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And whoever we get, hopefully they get Hall figured out. Nearly a 1st round pick and we barely used him as the season went on. When he was rotating in the first half of the season he was doing okay. Then when Nwosu went down we started REALLY limiting his snaps. He had some trash games against San Fran but that was the 2nd best offense in the league that we had absolutely no answer for as a collective group lol.

I was so frustrated by that. Even if we'd made the playoffs, we weren't going to go anywhere... put your younger guys in. Don't start limiting Hall's snaps. And maybe have at least 3 down lineman instead of a couple OLB EDGE rushers and 2 down lineman? Whatever. It's fairly obvious to me why Pete was canned.
Yeah, I never understood the under-utilization of Hall. Maybe he had some nagging injury or whatever but he showed flashes at times and also showed he could play the run when in there. One of the reasons we drafted him. Yet Pete kept throwing fucking useless Taylor out there just like he did the year before with Cody fucking Barton. Pete's loyalty to mediocre players was frustrating as hell.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I never understood the under-utilization of Hall. Maybe he had some nagging injury or whatever but he showed flashes at times and also showed he could play the run when in there. One of the reasons we drafted him. Yet Pete kept throwing fucking useless Taylor out there just like he did the year before with Cody fucking Barton. Pete's loyalty to mediocre players was frustrating as hell.

Oh God don't make me remember Cody Barton. I mean I mean I know Hall didn't quite have the impact Mafe did his rookie year and his PFF grade is fairly abysmal but a lot of that came from SF x2, I think Dallas, and I think Cleveland beat him up a bit.

But again, he started out doing pretty well. He was getting like 20-30 snaps a game starting out. Then it just went down to the teens or in some cases barely over 10. Then we had Jones lining up at times as the EDGE... whatever. It was just a disaster. It's like when Nwosu went down Pete was like, "DUR DUR WUT DO WE DO!? UHHH, TAYLOR! No wait Jones! Wait, eh not sure about Hall. Let's just use 3 linebackers with 3 down lineman because I like my 5 secondary set all playing soft zone!" Offensive coordinators on the other team probably thinking there was something mentally wrong with Pete.

I'll be interested to see if our new DC or HC moves Witherspoon to the outside. One thing that always drove me nuts about Pete was he took all these tweener players. I was terrified they'd take DeJean (S/CB) with their first pick and have him play safety or move around people again. Pete was always cheering about their versatility and they can play all over the line, etc. Yah Pete, but they suck at every position compared to the other players on NFL teams. It was obvious Schneider took over the draft over the last couple years, but I know Witherspoon was 100% a Pete pick. He probably fought Schneider tooth and nail on that. I mean I guess I can't fault him on that one... Witherspoon and Carter were the defensive picks... although I worry about Witherspoon's durability with the hits he makes (hence wondering if he'll get moved to outside).

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well Shark. Let a new era begin and let's see how it plays out. Cheers everybody and let's hope we hear some news soon on our new coach and get the off-season ball rolling.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is to get the leadership/culture fit nailed. The Xs and Os are at the tactical level. Setting the culture is above that at the strategic level, which is where I believe JS is focused. The right general will set the conditions for the tactical stuff to work out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is to get the leadership/culture fit nailed. The Xs and Os are at the tactical level. Setting the culture is above that at the strategic level, which is where I believe JS is focused. The right general will set the conditions for the tactical stuff to work out.

100% agree. Culture matters more than play calling.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they should hire quinn, right?

Not necessarily. The Seahawks need a change in their culture, after 15 years of the Pete culture. Quinn isn't the best choice for that.

I don't think Quinn is a bad choice in general. I just think that the team needs a jolt to break from the cycle it has been in.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they should hire quinn, right?
How can we have the appropriate level of insight on that? None of us here know Quinn or the other candidates well enough to have a qualified opinion on who can set the best culture.

One thing we could assume about Quinn, however, is that based on his experience in the league in multiple organizations, he has a leg up on the younger coordinators in terms of having more time to build the relationships that would help him put together a solid staff under him.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the niners in the SB thanks to culture, or roster building and Xs and Os?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Don't you need both to get to the SB level and/or sustain relatively high levels of success? It's not a one or the other thing.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think the niners hired shanahan for anything other than his playcalling and offensive mastery

Thats how we should be approaching it too

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Certainly roster building is critical to the success of any team. I think Xs and Os has, at best, a minor impact. The Niners offense succeeds because of the players they have. You want to see their offense turn into mush? Have Trent Williams and McCaffrey get hurt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think the niners hired shanahan for anything other than his playcalling and offensive mastery

Thats how we should be approaching it too

That's a myopic way at looking at things that reduces Shanahan to nothing more than a play caller. The Niners also have had one of the best defenses in football the last few years. Is that because of Shanahan's offensive play calling?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win and I suspect WHOEVER is HC will be credited with "culture building", lose and the culture will be questioned.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win and I suspect WHOEVER is HC will be credited with "culture building", lose and the culture will be questioned.

Most likely.

Sometimes it's pretty clear that a coach has failed at culture building, though. Hackett and Urban Meyer come to mind.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playcalling is like that as well, but we still want a good Xs and Os guy, right?