• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess one man's lack of imagination is another's due diligence. I think more of JS than to believe he's bringing in these other candidates just to generate a perception that they were open to someone other than Quinn. That would be pretty transparent during the process with the other candidates, who aren't morons.

But that's my point. If Dan Quinn was always the choice, then why belabor the process? If he was not the presumptive choice and we go through all these other options and wind up with him, then I'm just not sure if we still wind up with Quinn whether JS was really looking to make a change to the team. Quinn is easily the closest to keeping Pete without actually keeping him.

I'm not going to be made if we hire Quinn. But I'll be disappointed. He's probably 6th or 7th on my preference list(Vrabel, Harbaugh, Macdonald, Johnson, Slowik, Canales). Honestly I would probably prefer Morris over Quinn.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's my point. If Dan Quinn was always the choice, then why belabor the process? If he was not the presumptive choice and we go through all these other options and wind up with him, then I'm just not sure if we still wind up with Quinn whether JS was really looking to make a change to the team. Quinn is easily the closest to keeping Pete without actually keeping him.

So either Quinn was just always the choice and we went through the motions, or Schneider just wasn't really looking to make any type of change? Seems like a false dilemma to me. Why can't it just mean JS thought Quinn was the best of a fairly big list of choices? Just appears we are really not giving JS much credit here. He's better than how we're scrutinizing this opaque process right now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So either Quinn was just always the choice and we went through the motions, or Schneider just wasn't really looking to make any type of change? Seems like a false dilemma to me. Why can't it just mean JS thought Quinn was the best of a fairly big list of choices? Just appears we are really not giving JS much credit here. He's better than how we're scrutinizing this opaque process right now.

It certainly could be that JS made an exhaustive analysis and ultimately decided that Quinn was the best choice, based on factors that don't have anything to do with familiarity with the team and culture. But that seems pretty unlikely to me. Possible? Sure. But, for me, it would suggest that Quinn was always the choice and the others guys were competing against a loaded deck.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the more depressing thought is that Dan Quinn is going to be the next coach and they are just going through the motions.

I agree. I’m not that excited about Dan Quinn being our head coach.

But I do think it’s important that there going through the process like they are. Trying to see what other coaches demands are. Maybe Quinn‘s demands are he wants more control than he had at Dallas? Who knows

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I’m not that excited about Dan Quinn being our head coach.

But I do think it’s important that there going through the process like they are. Trying to see what other coaches demands are. Maybe Quinn‘s demands are he wants more control than he had at Dallas? Who knows

And I'll fully admit that Quinn might be the best choice

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly could be that JS made an exhaustive analysis and ultimately decided that Quinn was the best choice, based on factors that don't have anything to do with familiarity with the team and culture. But that seems pretty unlikely to me. Possible? Sure. But, for me, it would suggest that Quinn was always the choice and the others guys were competing against a loaded deck.
If JS hired Quinn more or less immediately, then I would be a lot more convinced of the likelihood he was the guy all along. JS putting on a show and going through the motions with these other candidates is behavior that I think is beneath him. Is there some subconscious factors at play? Yeah, probably. Schneider is human, after all, and relationships do matter. The end result itself doesn't prove any specific theory on how we got there though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JS hired Quinn more or less immediately, then I would be a lot more convinced of the likelihood he was the guy all along. JS putting on a show and going through the motions with these other candidates is behavior that I think is beneath him. Is there some subconscious factors at play? Yeah, probably. Schneider is human, after all, and relationships do matter. The end result itself doesn't prove any specific theory on how we got there though.

I don't think he's creating sham interviews. And we also have no idea if Quinn is even being considered. My comment is just conjecture based on the hypothetical of the Hawks hiring Quinn.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm aware of that fact and who knows maybe they interview eventually or maybe not. Could be some team that requested a interview with him seals the deal with him before that is even possible. Waiting to make a hire until after the Super Bowl probably not a good idea.
unfortunately I think we are out on macdonald, he will probably get an offer before we even have a chance to interview him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately I think we are out on macdonald, he will probably get an offer before we even have a chance to interview him.

If JS really was interested and Macdonald was interested, I doubt anything is preventing us from really making something happen.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mmmm with Johnson being my 1st choice, Slowik being the second and Macdonald my 3rd choice it's not looking like my personal favorites are going to be coaching the Seahawks who have been busy giving second interviews with lower tier types ( well for me that is).

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just a rumor at this point but interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124_112443_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124_112443_YouTube.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 0

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, i don't want anything to do with it. Its a bizarre rumor really, not sure how quinn and kelly are linked in any way.

That seems like clickbait.

OTOH...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like clickbait.

OTOH...

Does seem like JS is honing in on less exciting, second-third tier types for HC or maybe these are just red herrings to hide his real target for HC.
Dang it is a little nerve racking for Seahawk fans who been worried about life after Pete. Winning cures every thing of course, win the division make some noise in the playoffs and fans will be on board again. Fail to at least match Pete's last season of 9-8 and just missing the playoffs and things could get ugly with a nondescript hire, where as a Ben Johnson or MacDonald type hire would be given some lee way with the fan base IMO, at least for a bit.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does seem like JS is honing in on less exciting, second-third tier types for HC or maybe these are just red herrings to hide his real target for HC.
Dang it is a little nerve racking for Seahawk fans who been worried about life after Pete. Course winning cures every thing, win the division make some noise in the playoffs and fans will be on board again. Fail to at least match Pete's last season of 9-8 and just missing the playoffs and things could get ugly with a nondescript hire, where as a Ben Johnson or MacDonald type hire would be given some lee way with the fan base IMO, at least for a bit.

We really have no way of knowing what JS is thinking. He could already have his coach in mind or he could be still searching.

Unless the team completely implodes, I highly doubt that JS gets canned next year. And I doubt his choice of coach will really make much difference to his long term viability. Whether it is Johnson or Quinn, if the team is still a single digit win team in 2 years time, he's a goner.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really have no way of knowing what JS is thinking. He could already have his coach in mind or he could be still searching.

Unless the team completely implodes, I highly doubt that JS gets canned next year. And I doubt his choice of coach will really make much difference to his long term viability. Whether it is Johnson or Quinn, if the team is still a single digit win team in 2 years time, he's a goner.
I'm not sure I agree with that. First off while the Seahawks have some nice talent sprinkled in the roster, they also have several holes through out the roster that will be hard to fill immediately due to late draft position, lean draft stock and less then ideal cap situation. Hiring a exciting offensive minded HC, drafting a potential franchise type QB and the team buys some time to gather cap space and draft capitol to be able to finish building the roster. It's a plan the Seahawks and JS can sell to fans. I'm not sure what kind of plan they sell the fans with Quinn or those on the second interview list at the moment TBH. Anyone expecting instant success next season or even two is going to get disappointed IMO.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with that. First off while the Seahawks have some nice talent sprinkled in the roster, they also have several holes through out the roster that will be hard to fill immediately due to late draft position, lean draft stock and less then ideal cap situation. Hiring a exciting offensive minded HC, drafting a potential franchise type QB and the team buys some time to gather cap space and draft capitol to be able to finish building the roster. It's a plan the Seahawks and JS can sell to fans. I'm not sure what kind of plan they sell the fans with Quinn or those on the second interview list at the moment TBH. Anyone expecting instant success next season is going to get disappointed IMO.

Fans have very short term memory.

If they pick Ben Johnson and he shits the bed, fans will be saying that he should have drafted whoever succeeded. It's the nature of fandom.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans have very short term memory.

If they pick Ben Johnson and he shits the bed, fans will be saying that he should have drafted whoever succeeded. It's the nature of fandom.
If he shits the bed.....sure, but then you need to define what shitting the bed is. Wins and loses of course is the obvious way, but if the team show progress with the defense ( it's a low bar so I expect that to happen) and the offense throws up more points, looks more modern and dynamic a 7-10 record or even (perhaps) 6-11 is not a death sentence year one and as long as year two show progress (say 9-8) think the Seahawks stay the course under Johnson and JS. Can not say it would be the same for Quinn and those others on the second interview list, in fact I doubt the offense would end up being exciting under them and as for the defense, well it should improve some simply by getting a more competent DC, but the team is going to need time to improve the defensive roster in general to be great no matter the DC or HC.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he shits the bed.....sure, but then you need to define what shitting the bed is. Wins and loses of course is the obvious way, but if the team show progress with the defense ( it's a low bar so I expect that to happen) and the offense throws up more points, looks more modern and dynamic a 7-10 record or even (perhaps) 6-11 is not a death sentence year one and as long as year two show progress (say 9-8) think the Seahawks stay the course under Johnson and JS. Can not say it would be the same for Quinn and those others on the second interview list, in fact I doubt the offense would end up being exciting under them and as for the defense, well it should improve some simply by getting a more competent DC, but the team is going to need time to improve the defensive roster in general to be great no matter the DC or HC.

You are being a bit of a prisoner of the moment.

No matter who we draft, the fans are going to want to see a reason for hope. The fans were overwhelmingly against hiring Pete Carroll. They got over it.

If they hire Johnson and he winds up being another Hackett while Quinn turns around Commanders, people will blame JS. It's just the way it is. If we hire Johnson and Bobby Slowik turns around the Panthers, they blame JS. Which is why JS should ignore fan sentiment.

To be clear, I would much rather see us hire someone like Johnson or Macdonald. But I also realize that I have no skin in the game. I won't lose my job if they are unprepared for the job.