• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2018 offseason thread

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I think the comp pick formula considers both what you gained and what you lost.

That is correct... Which is why I don't see us signing many, if any UFA's while letting 3 or 4 of our own walk in order to gain comp picks next year...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seems like fairly standard playbook when teams know they are about to cut a player. You see if you can get something vs nothing, but of course other teams know you're cutting him so that downgrades value a bit. I heard that Atlanta may be interested. Not exactly sure what you mean by the out-clause regarding MB. He is signed through 2020, but he's due a roster bonus of $4M on the 14th. If the Hawks don't plan on bringing him back, they'll trade or cut him before the bonus comes due. Cutting him now saves $2.2M against the cap, which isn't a ton but enough to sign a role player...or it goes into what we need to make available to keep other UFAs.

This is what I meant...
upload_2018-3-3_19-6-2.png

I agree with those 3 not being important to bring back. Jimmy is a good player, and I definitely wouldn't agree it was a bad trade, but the fit is probably not good enough for the market price. If he's a $8M per year guy, take half that and re-sign Luke W and use the rest on another priority. I just hope Graham doesn't end up in GB or LA. P-Rich didn't really end up being the player I hoped, though he's "good" just not a game changing type guy often enough. Gotta think some team out there will believe they can get a lot more out of him though, and with Lockett a year away from free agency, we probably have to decide now which of those 2 we want because I cannot see paying both. Joeckel just straight up wasn't worth the money. I feel Pocic could step in right now and be at least as good for a fraction of the price.

I want us to just resign LW and I'd like to see what we have in Vannett this year... We need more blocking TE's at the starting position at this point than we do a receiving threat, especially if we're going to commit to the run again... Graham is one of the worst TE's when it comes to run blocking...

With our new OL coach, his schemes fits Brown, Britt and Ifedi (Assuming he moves to RG) much better... I believe we're better just with that alone... Like you, I feel like Pocic is going to be a very solid OL for us for years to come... I don't feel like our OL is as bad as it's been... I feel we have the talent to turn it around and be a solid OL...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that you list McDougald as a guy you don't want to see back. I actually think he's a near must-sign when you consider Kam's health and ET's uncertain future. McDougald can play both positions, and I thought he had a really good season in '17. We also don't really know yet what we have in Tedric Thompson or Delano Hill. If those 2 youngsters have to start by default because Kam retires and ET is traded, I think the back end of our defense could be a big weakness due to inexperience.
McDougald would be a big help if they can bring him back. I'd rather see him signed then Richardson.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha .... I think John is gonna make some serious moves though, I just hope it doesn't include Richard, I like that guy's heart on the field, he battles... Same with Earl, but right now it sure seems like Earl wants out with his actions lately....
Yeah, I think it's a pretty decent bet that some of the names that have helped create the success over the last handful of years are on the verge of moving on either by their choice or the team's. Inevitable sort of thing. Last year was probably the time to move Sherm if it was gonna happen; now he's in the last year of his deal, coming off a pretty big injury, and isn't cheap. ET is probably the guy with more value in a trade. I am not sure what we could get for MB; seems trying to trade him is just a last ditch before we let him go. I guess we'll see!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDougald would be a big help if they can bring him back. I'd rather see him signed then Richardson.
To me, those are the 2 most important UFAs on our team. I put Richardson on top because of what the DL may look like if we don't re-sign him and also don't have Bennett, Avril, or McDowell. That would wipe out an entire line shift. Richardson may not have put up a bunch of individual stats, but I think the things he was doing up front were a big reason Wagner had a DPOY type season...and why MB had 8 sacks or something like that in the first half of the year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With our new OL coach, his schemes fits Brown, Britt and Ifedi (Assuming he moves to RG) much better... I believe we're better just with that alone... Like you, I feel like Pocic is going to be a very solid OL for us for years to come... I don't feel like our OL is as bad as it's been... I feel we have the talent to turn it around and be a solid OL...
Just getting to below average would be a huge improvement. My comment about Pocic was more about how poorly Joeckel played, but yeah Pocic sorta has that look like he may work out. I am worried about Ifedi. The good thing is this new OL Coach doesn't have any ego ties with whether he works out or not, so if he isn't a believer in the talent then maybe we cut bait instead of continuing to beat our heads against the wall trying to make it work. Hoping the light comes on in year 3. Will be really interesting to see what becomes of Fant.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett traded to the Eagles for a 5th round pick we also get a wide receiver

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the Hawks thoughts are on Amara Darboh heading into the season... I wonder if they feel he's grown enough to fill the void left by Richardson if he does end up leaving...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps exploring all options.

They may be trying to get leverage in contract negotiations, or attempting to have a contingency before the draft in case negotiations break down.

That's probably the case. I still think ET gets his extension here.