• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors: Philip Rivers Considering Retirement

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about LA. There are so many stars in LA area that you can run into them everywhere. Californians tend to be less star-struck than other areas. There are plenty of great places to live in Southern California. I raised my kids there and they are exceptional and I'm quite proud of them. Trust me, you can raise an idiot in Alabama.
If it's time to quit, it's time. That more likely has to do with all the travel and injuries than anything to do with LA
If I get a chance to go back to SoCal, I'll be there quickly! No, it won't be Burbank.....

Oh I understand. We went to LA and San Diego just a year ago and my wife kept "losing" her plane ticket. At one point I caught her researching jobs in the area in her field. So I can agree with that. I guess my thoughts on LA are coming from friends and family that have lived there telling me they would hate to raise a family in LA. Obviously there are always exceptions to the rules as you will find great kids and terrible kids from all parts of the world. Heck I live in a small midwest town right now where they say it is supposed to be perfect to raise a family and honestly the school district just seems like crap most of the time. I have parents telling me all the time how much they hate their kids being in it and with me just having my first child it scares the heck out of me.

I would say for Rivers it is probably more to do with his family has really gotten comfortable being in San Diego. His kids have probably done well fitting in where they are and he would hate to uproot them from what they have known most of their lives just to move for a few years to go play in LA. Now he could do the commute thing since it really isn't that bad of a drive (unless you hit rush hour then it can be a real pain) but my guess is he would rather still be able to see his family most of the time and with the football season being during the school year hard to move the family for 6 months to then move them back. Not the most stable environment for a kid. Again I think money for him isn't the issue. It all comes down to his family. He is probably one of the biggest family men in the entire league and he is one that is willing to put his family before his career.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make any sense. He has a home in San Diego. Here is a pic of it:
Philip-Rivers-house-San-Diego-CA2.jpg

And he is against "moving" ~100miles north to LA. Why would he have to move his family? Why not just buy a condo or apartment for himself and leave his family at home like 90% of the rest of the NFL players do? 100miles is not far at all to make routine trips. Sounds more like he is just tired of the Chargers or football for that matter.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he wants to retire, more power to him. if he is threatening to retire because a team might move a few hrs away he is just being a baby about the situation

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep, this for sure. Rivers is a family man who doesn't really seem to like celebrity or need to spend a lot of money. If his kids go to school in San Diego, it seems quite normal for a 34-year-old QB who has made more money than he'll ever spend to call it quits. It's not like the guy is spending money like Mayweather or anything.

The question is where his kids go to school. If it is Alabama, this would make no sense.

Rivers kids are homeschooled. This seems like an elaborate smokescreen to me.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's your solution P.R.:

1. Tell your agent you want to be traded to the 49ers.
2. Hire a private teacher for all 7 of your kids.
3. Play in a home game for the Super Bowl this year.

:cool2:
but kaep is GOAT

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear he just doesn't want to play for the Chargers anymore. Like people have already mentioned, he has the money already, doesn't need anymore and wants to be with his family, so why not retire if he doesn't like where he may or may not be headed. However, I think he still has that itch to play....just not for the Chargers.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, can't see him retiring just yet but can't see why he wouldn't want to go to L.A. either.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers is one of the top QB's in football no question about it... The Chargers as a team just haven't given him the supporting cast to get it done...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible he has "connections" in San Diego and is supporting the effort to stay there?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Garth Brooks. Wife is probably saying 'hey, you've got 7 kids and they don't know who you are' and San Diego has been shedding weapons and linemen for the majority of his career.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I understand. We went to LA and San Diego just a year ago and my wife kept "losing" her plane ticket. At one point I caught her researching jobs in the area in her field. So I can agree with that. I guess my thoughts on LA are coming from friends and family that have lived there telling me they would hate to raise a family in LA. Obviously there are always exceptions to the rules as you will find great kids and terrible kids from all parts of the world. Heck I live in a small midwest town right now where they say it is supposed to be perfect to raise a family and honestly the school district just seems like crap most of the time. I have parents telling me all the time how much they hate their kids being in it and with me just having my first child it scares the heck out of me.

I would say for Rivers it is probably more to do with his family has really gotten comfortable being in San Diego. His kids have probably done well fitting in where they are and he would hate to uproot them from what they have known most of their lives just to move for a few years to go play in LA. Now he could do the commute thing since it really isn't that bad of a drive (unless you hit rush hour then it can be a real pain) but my guess is he would rather still be able to see his family most of the time and with the football season being during the school year hard to move the family for 6 months to then move them back. Not the most stable environment for a kid. Again I think money for him isn't the issue. It all comes down to his family. He is probably one of the biggest family men in the entire league and he is one that is willing to put his family before his career.

What part of LA did your family and friends live in, because LA is too big, to say you wouldn't want to raise your kids there. When people think of LA, they think of LA city and forget about the other cities in LA county.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of LA did your family and friends live in, because LA is too big, to say you wouldn't want to raise your kids there. When people think of LA, they think of LA city and forget about the other cities in LA county.
The city of Los Angeles is a shit hole.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That commute from San Diego to Los Angeles always seems like a nightmare during almost any time of the day.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers was born in Alabama and went to school in North Carolina so he's probably just using the SD moving to LA situation as an excuse to get traded to a Southern team(like the Titans.) Plus the HC of the Titans was the OC for Rivers when he had his best season stat wise so that could be extra incentive.