• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NFL Quarterback Carousel

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network, NBC Sports, ESPN are all working overtime because in the past week, the NFL potential trades and an actual trade have awoken the national media.

Once the Rams and Lions completed their trade, teams began to realize that if they traded their quartreback(s) it could improve their draft position and they might possibly be able to get a future 'Franchise' Quarterback.

As of Tuesday night 2/2/21, several teams have been rumored to be in talks with other teams. Some teams have "hinted" that they would be open to discussion about a trade that would include their present QB.

So here we go:
Deshaun Watson - He would prefer the Jets or Dolphins. The Colts have reportedly tossed their hat into the ring but the Texans don't want to see Watson twice every year.
Jimmy Garrapolo - The 49ers appear to trying to get this done ASAP. and it was reported that they and the Minnesota Vikings have talked about.....
Kirk Cousins - Right now the 49ers appear to be the primary suitor for Cousins butthis morning, ESPN says that the Colts are squeezing into the discussion.
Derek Carr - During an interview Sunday, John Gruden slipped (or did he?) and mentioned that several teams had inquired about the availability of Derek. John's response was that anyone can be had for the right price. That immediately led a rumor that the Raiders were in on Deshaun Watson and the Texans would get Carr and TE Darren Waller for Watson.
Matt Ryan - He's been mentioned with the 49ers, but now there are rumblings that the Falcons have contacted Nick Caserio.

Free Agents:
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mitch Trubisky
Marcus Mariota
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Jackoby Brisset
Dak Prescott

It's a very interesting bunch, buy other than Prescott,they don't make anyone squirm in their seat.

College Shining Stars:
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Kyle Trask
Mac Jones
Jaimie Newman
Shane Buechele

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that the Patriots don't get involved in any trades that will deplete their draft.

None of the free agents really rattle my cage but I could liv with Fitz for a yearand Marcus Mariots could come cheap and be a huge improvement over Cam for a year. At least he's been in the playoffs and is coachable. When the end is in sight, maybe he can find the Marcus that was a star in Tennessee. Dalton didn't create fear as Dak's backup, but the staff in Dallas isn't what I'd consider top notch. Dalton could be a bridge, but he needs a ton of support and right now, he certainly doesn't have the targets he needs. Trubisky is a mystery. He's had games where he looks like Unitas and then he has games where he looks like Trubisky. He has a shitload of talent, but he's never seemed to be able to harness it. Coaching? OL? Or his he a mental case?

My order of preference if I had to select: Fitz, Mariota, Trubisky.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that the Patriots don't get involved in any trades that will deplete their draft.

None of the free agents really rattle my cage but I could liv with Fitz for a yearand Marcus Mariots could come cheap and be a huge improvement over Cam for a year. At least he's been in the playoffs and is coachable. When the end is in sight, maybe he can find the Marcus that was a star in Tennessee. Dalton didn't create fear as Dak's backup, but the staff in Dallas isn't what I'd consider top notch. Dalton could be a bridge, but he needs a ton of support and right now, he certainly doesn't have the targets he needs. Trubisky is a mystery. He's had games where he looks like Unitas and then he has games where he looks like Trubisky. He has a shitload of talent, but he's never seemed to be able to harness it. Coaching? OL? Or his he a mental case?

We keep trying to find out what's wrong with all these QB's.
It's actually really simple - they aren't very good.
Most of the QB's in this draft will pan out the same.
It takes smart thinking and good luck to get a franchise QB - oh, and the capital......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Fitzpatrick was on some TV show yesterday and NFLDRaftRumors.com picked it up.

"If the Patriots are interested, all they have to do is call. I'm certainly interested. At my age, I can't be as picky as Matt Stafford."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All three suffer from having one spectacular game followed by 4, 5 or 6 less then impressive games sprinkled with some real disasters.
Maryota likes to be hurt too.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common sense seems to be overtaking a few of the local media. Phil Perry did a podcast and said that he felt that BB was not going to get into any deal that would cost him his first round pick and $25M a year. I thought to myself. maybr someone who has a voice on local TV sports shows will make others pull their heads out of the stratosphere and back to earth.

Perry thinks that BB will sign a veteran like Fitzpatrick or Trubisky for less than $10M and will wait until the third round andf draft a Kellen Mond, Sam Ehlinger, Ian Book or Phillepe Franks. If he misses, there's always 2022.

He also believes that BB will trade Stephon Gilmore before the draft because there will be teams that won't want to appear to be in a panic and be dealing from a weal spot. He thinks that BB will most likely try to get a veteran TE and at least a 3rd round pick.

Now he's also seeing a potential trade for the #15. Especially if Mac Jones or Justin Fields slip down. He thinks that it would give the Pats a early 20s in the first and an early 40s in the second or possibly two or more thirds.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G or Draft all there is to for me anymore. I don't want to give up the farm..... To many needs elsewhere. Outside shot Carr but I suspect Chucky does not want to deal with the Pats

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fully expecting to start next year with Newton and maybe Mariota as a Patriot. I don't see BB pulling a deal for anyone out there now and I certainly don't see him getting on in the draft unless it's like round 4-6 QB which won't be good

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fully expecting to start next year with Newton and maybe Mariota as a Patriot. I don't see BB pulling a deal for anyone out there now and I certainly don't see him getting on in the draft unless it's like round 4-6 QB which won't be good
Neither will be a Patriot.

Cam is looking for minimal QB money and Bill ain't paying him $10M-$15M to repeat 2020.

Mariota's contract is an absolute nightmare per Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. He had nuggets in the contract and all kinds of bonuses that kick in at 60% of the offensive snaps and he gets almost $10M in bonuses for finishing at 7-9. Just being on the roster kicks in to a guaranteed $11.8M. BB would have to make him renegotiate that contract. If by some miracle the Patriots finishd the season at 10-6 the contract would cost the Patriots $22.7M and there's no way that BB or Kraft could even attempt to explain why they would give Mariota almost $23M and not give Brady $25M.

Anything that is bandied about is pure speculation but there are facts that are associated with any player under contract and those are pure facts. Even getting JG would be a possible nightmare, even if BB got him for a 3rd. He'd still be paying JG a salary of about $25M in 2021 and $27.5M in 2022. There had best be a Lombardi at the end of that rainbow.

If you do your homework, you'll come to the conclusion that Fitzpatrick or Trubisky will cost uder $10M, Brissett might be available if none wants to give him what he's expecting,

Trade the #15 for lower 1st round pick and possibly get a top notch DT/DE or LB and get an extra 2nd round pi k and grab a 2nd tier QB who could be a Tannehill or even another TB.

Another Boston media guy that's finally thinking with his brain.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G or Draft all there is to for me anymore. I don't want to give up the farm..... To many needs elsewhere. Outside shot Carr but I suspect Chucky does not want to deal with the Pats
In my opinion the Pats have dealt fairly with all takers. Sure, they only pay what they're willing to pay, but they are always willing to listen.

Chucky can't be still mad about the tuck, especially considering it was the refs that made that call.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion the Pats have dealt fairly with all takers. Sure, they only pay what they're willing to pay, but they are always willing to listen.

Chucky can't be still mad about the tuck, especially considering it was the refs that made that call.
Ohh I think Chucky is still pissed about the Tuck

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for some odd reason I think BB will have Cam back

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh I think Chucky is still pissed about the Tuck
It still cracks me up. Chucky knows it was a fumble. He also knows there was a real rule that was applied correctly. There were a lot of distorted replays and slow-mos that show Brady seemingly holding the ball in front of his body after the pump. The reality is he executed a lame pump and before getting it back to his body it was knocked away. By all accounts it was a fumble, except the one (the rule).

While the timing of the rule was very fortuitous, similar rules have negated fumbles. I remember David Patten (I think it was him) getting almost knocked cold and fumbling. In the melee the ball got knocked back into him before the opposing team recovered. He wasn't even trying to recover the ball but his foot was on the sideline. Ball was dead at the spot, despite being a yard and a half inbounds, offense retained possession.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stubbornness maybe? To prove he can still win with Cam? Perhaps?
I don't know, but I know if it happens I won't be fond of it. It's just that I did not see anything he did that impressed me. It sill boggles my mind why he did not take a look at Stidham. People can speculate all they want about what Jason did or didn't do, but we all saw what Cam did and didn't do. So after posting this I am leaning toward stubbornness.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, but I know if it happens I won't be fond of it. It's just that I did not see anything he did that impressed me. It sill boggles my mind why he did not take a look at Stidham. People can speculate all they want about what Jason did or didn't do, but we all saw what Cam did and didn't do. So after posting this I am leaning toward stubbornness.
He's got a bunch of different people surrounding him now and one can only hope that they have testicles and not chick peas between their legs and will speak up. Too often, I believe that people are afraid that they will lose their job of they don't agree with their boss. If Zeigler is as good as I've read about him, he will say something and force Bill to defend what Z considers a bad move.

""I"" don't think Bill will bring Cam back. There was nothing at all that he did on the field that would justify doing so. Some guys have said that he's great in the locker room but that didn't translate to the field. The only way that I could see Cam returning is if no other QB wants to play in Foxboro.
The easiest way to make the Patriots appear to be moving in the right direction is to immediately sign a couple of decent (not top) WRs and show whomever might be considering signing that they will have targets to throw at.

I'm wondering if Trubisky could be the QB that everyone thought he could be, working with McDaniels for a year. He could be a a one year inexpensive option and drafting a rookie QB behind him in a good situation might work out for aall concerned.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got a bunch of different people surrounding him now and one can only hope that they have testicles and not chick peas between their legs and will speak up. Too often, I believe that people are afraid that they will lose their job of they don't agree with their boss. If Zeigler is as good as I've read about him, he will say something and force Bill to defend what Z considers a bad move.

""I"" don't think Bill will bring Cam back. There was nothing at all that he did on the field that would justify doing so. Some guys have said that he's great in the locker room but that didn't translate to the field. The only way that I could see Cam returning is if no other QB wants to play in Foxboro.
The easiest way to make the Patriots appear to be moving in the right direction is to immediately sign a couple of decent (not top) WRs and show whomever might be considering signing that they will have targets to throw at.

I'm wondering if Trubisky could be the QB that everyone thought he could be, working with McDaniels for a year. He could be a a one year inexpensive option and drafting a rookie QB behind him in a good situation might work out for aall concerned.
Trubisky just has not impressed me, no consistency he worries me.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop with Maryota.