• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NFL Quarterback Carousel

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a good way to look at this is as follows.

Let's take Cam, Jimmy G, Stidham, and the #15 pick.

Cam: Okay he did not look good last year, he was coming off an injury, had no time in the system, no real practice time, and no weapons. What would it take to re-sign Cam? What do the Pats need to give up to have Cam back. Keep in mind BB kept putting him there for a reason and Cam wants another shot at proving his worth.

Jimmy G: Does anyone think the 9ers won't ask for a first at worst a 2nd round pick? Can you see BB giving either of those picks up? How does his current contract affect this trade? What would his deal look like? What is the Cap hit to NE? What would his new deal in NE take?

#15: If they keep Cam and Stidham this may mean BB would not take a QB this year or at least not in rounds 1 though 3 IMO. Keeping Cam and Stidham allows BB to look early at WRs, DTs, ILBs etc. I am not entirely sure BB will look at TE he took two last year but with COVID, lack of training camps etc I think he may take a closer look at the guys he took last year. He could also take a shot at a QB late 3rd (MAYBE!) but certainly after and there a QB there worth a look.

The option of keeping Cam and Stid allows BB to build other areas of need and still take a QB later. Keeping Cam may not be the best option for the QB position, it may be the best option for the team.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The option of keeping Cam and Stid allows BB to build other areas of need and still take a QB later. Keeping Cam may not be the best option for the QB position, it may be the best option for the team.
As much as BB liked JG, I don't think he likes the contract that he'd have to deal at $25M in 2021 and $27M in 2022, especially if he can't stay healthy.

Yiu make as much sense as anyone about bringing back Cam and Stid and picking up QB late in the draft. Here are my only objections. I agree that Cam didn't have any training camp and had to adapt. The problem is that he had from September through January to get it together and he looked worse in November and December than he did in September and October. zIf you count the first 8 weeks of the season as training camp and practice, the second 8 weeks showed zero improvement. I don't think 3 weeks of training camp and four preseason games will actually do anything more. In my opinion, the Cam Newton ship has sailed and it's heading further south.

I really would like to see what Stidham could do with OTAs, a full training camp and preseason games. Not a single rookie QB except Herbert really showed much of anything last year. Have a proven vets and a rookie to push Stid and maybe he'll be much better. If not, then cut him loose.

Below are the top 25 college eligible quarterbacks. The two numbers under each name is the current value that has been placed on them and below that is their potential value. Note that only Lawrence is rated at this time as a Franchise QB and onlt Fields and Wilson are listed as potential All-Pros. The people doing this grading are basically saying that under their system, only three QBs should be taken in the first round.
From what I could see, every QB under Jaime Newman is considered to be a practice squad or developmental player.

CPV = Current Player Value
PPV = Potential Player Value
10-9.6 = FRANCHISE TALENT
9.5-9.0 = ALL PRO
8.9-8.4 = SOLID STARTER
8.3-7.9 = AVERAGE STARTER
7.8-7.4 = SOLID BACKUP
7.3-7.0 = BACKUP
6.9-6.5 = BOTTOM OF ROSTER
6.4-6.0 = DEVELOPMENTAL
5.9-5.5 = PRACTICE SQUAD
5.4-5.0 = XFL/CFL
4.9-0.0 = REJECT

2021 Rookie QB Big Board​

Trevor Lawrence
Clemson

Trey Lance
North Dakota State

Justin Fields
Ohio State

Zach Wilson
Brigham Young

Mac Jones
Alabama

Davis Mills
Stanford

Kyle Trask
Florida

Kellen Mond
Texas AM

Ian Book
Notre Dame

Sam Ehlinger
Texas

Jamie Newman
Georgia

Zac Thomas
Appalachian State

Feleipe Franks
Arkansas

Zach Smith
Tulsa

Shane Buechele
Southern Methodist

Brady Davis
Illinois State

Brady White
Memphis

Peyton Ramsey
Northwestern/Indiana

David Moore
Central Michigan

K.J. Costello
Mississippi State

Kevin Thomson
Washington/Sacramento St.

Noah Johnson
USF/Alcorn State

Collin Hill
South Carolina

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a good way to look at this is as follows.

Let's take Cam, Jimmy G, Stidham, and the #15 pick.

Cam: Okay he did not look good last year, he was coming off an injury, had no time in the system, no real practice time, and no weapons. What would it take to re-sign Cam? What do the Pats need to give up to have Cam back. Keep in mind BB kept putting him there for a reason and Cam wants another shot at proving his worth.

Jimmy G: Does anyone think the 9ers won't ask for a first at worst a 2nd round pick? Can you see BB giving either of those picks up? How does his current contract affect this trade? What would his deal look like? What is the Cap hit to NE? What would his new deal in NE take?

#15: If they keep Cam and Stidham this may mean BB would not take a QB this year or at least not in rounds 1 though 3 IMO. Keeping Cam and Stidham allows BB to look early at WRs, DTs, ILBs etc. I am not entirely sure BB will look at TE he took two last year but with COVID, lack of training camps etc I think he may take a closer look at the guys he took last year. He could also take a shot at a QB late 3rd (MAYBE!) but certainly after and there a QB there worth a look.

This is the only post that makes sense to me.
I don't like it but eventually you have to make a decision that's best for the team. I don't know what decision that is.
I do know I haven't heard any that I like.
Getting JG back could work if his contract is rewritten.
Cam could work if we are drafting a project QB.
I don't like any of the (available) vets. But that is a fluid subject.

My 2 cents???
Chuckie was not the coach at time of tuck rule.
There will be no QB's, good or bad ready to play from the draft.......

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cam is the starter next year, we are doomed just like last season. 8 td passes in 15 games just doesnt cut it. I dont care about hjs 12 rushing tds. Any of our RB's could have done it. He just vultured them to pad his stats so he didn't look like the incompetent QB that he is.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as BB liked JG, I don't think he likes the contract that he'd have to deal at $25M in 2021 and $27M in 2022, especially if he can't stay healthy.

Yiu make as much sense as anyone about bringing back Cam and Stid and picking up QB late in the draft. Here are my only objections. I agree that Cam didn't have any training camp and had to adapt. The problem is that he had from September through January to get it together and he looked worse in November and December than he did in September and October. zIf you count the first 8 weeks of the season as training camp and practice, the second 8 weeks showed zero improvement. I don't think 3 weeks of training camp and four preseason games will actually do anything more. In my opinion, the Cam Newton ship has sailed and it's heading further south.

I really would like to see what Stidham could do with OTAs, a full training camp and preseason games. Not a single rookie QB except Herbert really showed much of anything last year. Have a proven vets and a rookie to push Stid and maybe he'll be much better. If not, then cut him loose.

Below are the top 25 college eligible quarterbacks. The two numbers under each name is the current value that has been placed on them and below that is their potential value. Note that only Lawrence is rated at this time as a Franchise QB and onlt Fields and Wilson are listed as potential All-Pros. The people doing this grading are basically saying that under their system, only three QBs should be taken in the first round.
From what I could see, every QB under Jaime Newman is considered to be a practice squad or developmental player.

CPV = Current Player Value
PPV = Potential Player Value
10-9.6 = FRANCHISE TALENT
9.5-9.0 = ALL PRO
8.9-8.4 = SOLID STARTER
8.3-7.9 = AVERAGE STARTER
7.8-7.4 = SOLID BACKUP
7.3-7.0 = BACKUP
6.9-6.5 = BOTTOM OF ROSTER
6.4-6.0 = DEVELOPMENTAL
5.9-5.5 = PRACTICE SQUAD
5.4-5.0 = XFL/CFL
4.9-0.0 = REJECT

2021 Rookie QB Big Board​

Trevor Lawrence
Clemson

Trey Lance
North Dakota State

Justin Fields
Ohio State

Zach Wilson
Brigham Young

Mac Jones
Alabama

Davis Mills
Stanford

Kyle Trask
Florida

Kellen Mond
Texas AM

Ian Book
Notre Dame

Sam Ehlinger
Texas

Jamie Newman
Georgia

Zac Thomas
Appalachian State

Feleipe Franks
Arkansas

Zach Smith
Tulsa

Shane Buechele
Southern Methodist

Brady Davis
Illinois State

Brady White
Memphis

Peyton Ramsey
Northwestern/Indiana

David Moore
Central Michigan

K.J. Costello
Mississippi State

Kevin Thomson
Washington/Sacramento St.

Noah Johnson
USF/Alcorn State

Collin Hill
South Carolina
Any idea what Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell had for values before they were drafted?

Solid analysis on Cam. I agree 100%. I won't cry if he's back because I completely accept it's not my call and won't turn my back on a team that might need a few years to rest from a 20 year run.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to NBCSports Boston, Cam is asking for a guaranteed contract of between $10M-$15M for 2021. I hope Bill waits to see to see if nyone else steps up with an offer before he moves.

49ers may release JG. They cannot find anyone who's willing to pick up $53M regardless of the trade. It appears that the 49ers would have to sweeten the deal like the Rams did for the Lions to get rid of an ugly contract. Nothing will happen until after the draft. Not a good situation for JG.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to NBCSports Boston, Cam is asking for a guaranteed contract of between $10M-$15M for 2021. I hope Bill waits to see to see if nyone else steps up with an offer before he moves.

49ers may release JG. They cannot find anyone who's willing to pick up $53M regardless of the trade. It appears that the 49ers would have to sweeten the deal like the Rams did for the Lions to get rid of an ugly contract. Nothing will happen until after the draft. Not a good situation for JG.
Oh JG. Poor little $53 millionaire!!!!!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Withthe number of QBs supposedly available, there doesn't seem to be a helliof a lot of activity. The big problem facing teams is that the teams that are trying to get one of these guys can't fit the contracts under the cap if it's $180M. The teams that can are not willing to give up what the other team is asking and from what I heard last night, a couple of these QBs might just get cut outright.

If that happens, the QBs are going to find out really quick that only a few teams have enough money to sign them and that they are not going to offer $30M a year. There are 27 days to the start of the 2021 season and free agency. Then there's 30 days to the 2021 NFL Draft. If a team drafts a QB in the first round, they own him for 5 years at less than 10% of a five year veteran QB contract.

Watson, Wentz, JG, and Cousins might axctually be making much less in 2021that they made in 2020.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of it guaranteed.....
Some guaranteed money is a standard market condition, the point is to keep him within a budget that the team can manage whether he succeeds or fails. Pats aren't known for "hope and pray" contracts mostly since Bledsoe's abominable deal, though to a lesser extent Rosey Colvin and Adalius Thomas come to mind...

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd even go higher, 3rd or 4th, if Jimmy would renegotiate for less money.

But we're still stuck with his cap hit even if he renegotiates? Sorry, Im clueless with the cap.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we're still stuck with his cap hit even if he renegotiates? Sorry, Im clueless with the cap.
This is my understanding unless it can somehow be negotiated. Here is the deal IMO, the 9ers gave a him a huge deal he did not pan out they drafted a QB he's been hurt and now the 9ers want a cream of the crop type deal? No sorry F that, 9ers need to come off with a deal that works for both sides not just them, other wise eat his money and bench him.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with the Colts getting Wentz.. You think BB will try and get Brissett back?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with the Colts getting Wentz.. You think BB will try and get Brissett back?

Possibly though I do not think he has what it takes to be a solid starter. Seems our options are pretty fucking limited unless something insane happens.

If I were a gambling man I'd say Cam Newton is the starter.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mehh I can't see Jacoby as an NFL starting QB, not IMO

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly though I do not think he has what it takes to be a solid starter. Seems our options are pretty fucking limited unless something insane happens.

If I were a gambling man I'd say Cam Newton is the starter.

I don't either. But like you said the options are extremely slim and I truly do NOT see BB trading up in the draft and I truly see him trading away the 15 pick